• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U vs. Switch

I'm curious, do you think Nintendo can make a compelling argument for Wii U owners to buy the Nintendo Switch at launch? I've been following "NX" news and rumors since Satoru Iwata first announced that the Big N was working on a project with a new concept nearly... 2 years ago? I was excited to watch the Nintendo Switch trailer this morning and I'm generally pleased with the direction Nintendo seems to be moving in as of late.

But as a Wii U owner, I wonder if there will be any real reason for me to buy the Switch in March. I plan to play Breath of the Wild on my Wii U. The other games I saw in the trailer... Pikmin, Mario Kart, Splatoon... those are games I already own on Wii U, and I'm not going to buy them again on Switch just so I can play them on the go or perhaps with some minor upgrades. The possibility of playing Skyrim on Nintendo is exciting, and I'm happy to see a new 3D Mario game in the works -- but that doesn't seem like enough to warrant purchasing a new console.

I'll most likely end up buying Switch eventually no matter what just because I've got a lot of love/loyalty for the company and I'm sure that they're going to turn out some amazing Switch exclusives in time... but I can't help but wonder if Wii U owners are getting the short end of the stick here. Wii U has got a great catalog of games and I'm not surprised that Nintendo wants to draw from that given the Wii U's poor sales, but I just really hope that the Switch is going to get lots of love in the form of brand new, original content - and not just ports of old titles for people who didn't think the Wii U was worth their time.

well seeing as how pretty much everyone everyone hates the Wii U and loves the switch, I'm thinking so

I personally just want it cause it's basically almost everything I've ever wanted in a console plus BotW

well seeing as how pretty much everyone everyone hates the Wii U and loves the switch, I'm thinking so

I personally just want it cause it's basically almost everything I've ever wanted in a console plus BotW
Did you even read the post? I'm talking about people who already own the Wii U. And I've yet to meet a Wii U owner who hates the console.

Did you even read the post? .
Yes
I'm talking about people who already own the Wii U.
Hi there friend. I'm a proud Wii U owner. I guess you're talking about me so why are you repeating all this to me lol
And I've yet to meet a Wii U owner who hates the console.
I'm guessing you're new here? Talk to most ZDers or even gaming sites or Nintendo themselves.

(Note: I'm a big wii U fan, but one look at the NX and I was sold. And it's not even about loyalty, it's cause the NX is awesome)

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I hated the Wii U when I bought it. The games were severely lacking during release and there was no "omg this motion is revolutionary!" feeling I got when playing a trivial fun party game like Wii Sports. Instead it was an underwhelming experience with Nintendo Land and Darksiders 2, which did nothing to peak my interest.

The console itself, design and all, just seemed disappointing. The Wii U, as a controller, was overly obnoxious and I didn't like the way you had to be a certain distance from the console and just the little things like a slight delay, smaller screen than expected and battery life. So the while "play the game you love on the go" just didn't work due to what I said about. The actual Wii U compatability as a Gamepad was a neat idea, but in the end it just seemed like a nice perk rather than a game changing concept. I wasn't a fan of the added motion controls or the fact that you could still use your old Wii controls.

And mainly it was just how completely underwhelming it felt as a new console. I had been playing the PS3 and 360 for years and this didn't feel like any upgrade, which I'd naturally expect from a new generation console. The interface was limited, there was no revolutionary new software, it had like 8gb memory which paled in companion to my 2008 PS4 which had 80gb. There were so many instances where it just felt completely sub par to consoles released 6 years before and the complete lack of any console sellers for the first year as well as hardly any 3rd party support, made the Wii U the worst console I've ever owned. Yes I'll agree it's got better, but you expect games to come in time, but that first year was horrible. This console looks like it's fixed all of the Wii U's downsides while getting rid of features the majority didn't want. So far so good for the Switch.

As a Wii U owner the appeal of the Switch was lost on me...

The Switch is exactly what the U should have been but wasnt. The Switch looks like the WiiU2, it looks like its going to do everything the WiiU was supposed to do and thats fine but...

I already own Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 and im going to own BotW on the U too. Unless the Mario Kart and Splatoon footage that was show are of two completely new games (which seems unlikely) and not ports with added content (which looks most likely) then i'm going to be sticking to my plan of buying the Switch nearer the end of its life cycle when the launch line up is cheaper and a new Zelda is on the way. Or maybe just buy a Zelda Switch branded console.

Right now the appeal is diminished because it looks like i'll have to buy at least 3 games again to enjoy the added content.

So yeah.... for now my WiiU and BotW and VC and PS4 will keep me until Zelda Switch (if i like the look of it).

Reactions: Dio
3DS vs Switch is a more apt comparison.
The Switch is basically a suped up single screen 3DS that can also be used with the TV.

And I've yet to meet a Wii U owner who hates the console.
Neither have I. People don't hate the WiiU for what it is. They are just slightly disappointed that Nintendo squandered a lot of the potential of the WiiU. The WiiU could have been soemthing more or had more but yeah Nintendo made a few mistakes along the way.

People thought the WiiU was bad not because the WiiU. But because Nontendo screwed up the launch and there was not that many good games for it for a while. Nintendo is looking to totally rectify this issue with the Switch

To me the Switch is the ultimate portable system. People loved playing OOT3D, MM3D and similar on the go with their 3DS. Imagine games of the scale of BotW on the go? That's just crazy good. It's an instant seller. Also now there's no missing out on games if you don't own both consoles (or owning an inferier version of a game like Hyrule Warriors for WiiU vs 3DS). Only one console means you can play all the games.

Also develoeprs don't have to choose which console to develop for. There is only one for Nintendo now.

If the price is right, all the millions of 3DS owners will move to the Switch.

However to answer the direct question in the OP. We need to wait for the launch game list to be properly said by Nintendo. No one should by the Switch jsut because they think the hardware is snazzy. Only get it if you like the games that will be on it. Like any Nintendo console, get ti when it has some games you really want to play.

14650094_1311176638894870_1837600774463246345_n.jpg

We've all seen that image. That's a good reason. So much 3rd party support. A lot of it is not just previous generation rereleases like at the WiiU launch. Most of these developers are making seriously good ports/remakes or new games for the Switch.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
From my understanding, most 3rd parties didn't specifically confirm any games, but said they look forward to working with Nintendo.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
I have a Wii U, and I'm definitely going to buy the Switch. I think that we're going to see a lot more than just Wii U ports on the Switch. Nintendo has said they've learned their lesson regarding games and the launch window, and I think that as we get closer to launch, we're going to see a great line up of games confirmed for the Switch.

Most third parties (specifically 2k Sports & Bethesda - which were featured in the reveal video) gave a generic quote about how they are excited to work with Nintendo - I think they were told by Nintendo to say only that - and we'll hear more from them in the future. It seems like Nintendo has learned their lesson regarding marketing. They've got a plan to sustain the hype, and they're going to stick to it. The drip of information will continue into next year.

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
I see the Switch as an outcome of the Wii U, basically a Wii U 2.0. They didn't drop any feature that the Wii U could. I like the fact that I can still play when the TV is unavailable. In fact, I play more on my gamepad than on the TV.

The Switch is exciting and it is clearly a new console by Nintendo. The Wii U was not. Nintendo is doing a better job with the Switch than they ever did with the Wii U, and they have only released one preview. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Wii U, but I am beyond ready for something new. If the Switch can overcome the problems that the Wii U had (battery life and no portability), it is my dream console.

At this point in time I think it is too early to say. I think from what I saw I wouldn't buy a switch at launch. I will need to wait to here what other games there are on it.

So far as far as a portable gaming console I like the 3ds better (except ofcourse graphics would be better on switch)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Did you even read the post? I'm talking about people who already own the Wii U. And I've yet to meet a Wii U owner who hates the console.
I owned a Wii Poo and I hated it so much I sold it. It was Nintendos way of ****ing it's fans with no lube and no reach around.

It was atrocious, from It's cumbersome controller which was a pointless gimmick with limited functionality to It's weak power compared to other consoles. This weakness prevented the 3rd party ports of major current gen titles such as The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Causing the vast majority of hardcore gamers to turn to Sony.

That being said, the majority of the limited number of people who actually own a Wii U are Nintendo fanboys yes so they lap it all up and they'll buy the Switch because they want more of that Nintendo action.

It's not just the Wii U owners that will take to this new machine. I believe it will replace the 3DS and many who haven't already gone to Microsoft and Sony will also invest as the portable nature will appeal to many people.

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
That being said, the majority of the limited number of people who actually own a Wii U are Nintendo fanboys yes so they lap it all up and they'll buy the Switch because they want more of that Nintendo action.
I resemble that remark.

I actually enjoyed the wii u and thought it had some really good games. But I'll be getting the switch because it is portable. The rv park I'm living at has the bare minimum of wifi possible so I can't really use it for much. The portability means that I'll be able to take it places with internet to update or download games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom