• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U question - urgent as I'm damn stressed

So I had this issue with my wii u where it turned off on its own every now and then mid-game. Only seemed to happen in wii mode, but it is a rare issue, so it is unpredictable when it would happen.

But I could not game like this, knowing that it MIGHT happen.

So I sent the wii u in for repairs. Went through all that hassel, and after I finally got it back.... well the issue of it turining off happened again yesterday! :(

Seeing as I have already tried to get the thing repaired, and got terrible service for it, and went through terrible hassel..... I have no choice but to buy another wii u. So I have just ordered one on amazon. Not fair I know, and I am FUMING. But it is the only way.

But I have a very important question:

- Can I transfer everything from my old wii u to the new one?

- How do accounts work? I know I will have to re-download all my VC titles again, but I don't want to pay for the damn things again!

- Save data can be carried over via SD cards right?

- Does this all apply for wii mode save datas too? It better do!

I am so stressed and pissed off about this, and hope people can help, as when I search online, I can never find a simple answer! :(

Yes, you can transfer all of your data without a problem... you'll find the function to do this within the system settings.
All save data and user data should be transferred over, and it should automatically re-download any games that were installed on the old console at the same time.
I think you will need an SD card for transferring some of the data as part of this process... you can back up your data to an SD card/USB storage device if you want, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Out of curiosity... when you experienced the crashes, where you playing a specific game, or was it happening with a variety of games?
I've found that a couple of games can cause my Wii U to crash, but that's due to bugs in the games, rather than a problem with the console.

Out of curiosity... when you experienced the crashes, where you playing a specific game, or was it happening with a variety of games?
I've found that a couple of games can cause my Wii U to crash, but that's due to bugs in the games, rather than a problem with the console.

Variety of games, all of which were in wii mode.

From memory, it's happened on Final Fantasy II Snes (FFIV), Final Fantasy I, New Super Mario Bros Wii. That might be it actually, it's quite a rare issue to be fair, but the fact that it MIGHT happen at any time freaks me out!

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
What's a Wii U?

In all seriousness however. I think if you are going to spend $300 on a Wii U, you might as well get a switch in my opinion. More Wii U games are likely going to get ported, and it's a better investment for third party support, first party support, ect.

If I do a full-on copy everything over, might it be possible that the issue that's causing my wii u to shut down will just be transferred over to the new wii u? I am VERY worried about this. Because there is no way to know what causes the issue. I have nothing illegal on my wii u.
sounds more like a hardware issue
I agree with @Shironagi here. This does feel like a hardware issue and your new WiiU shouldn't have the issue. So transferring everything across should be fine.

In all seriousness however. I think if you are going to spend $300 on a Wii U, you might as well get a switch in my opinion. More Wii U games are likely going to get ported, and it's a better investment for third party support, first party support, ect.
Unless you have a large libary of unplayed games on the WiiU, this is not a bad option either. If you're willing to cough up a small amount more $$ that is for the Switch.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
1. not sure why you would assume anyone would pay the standard MSRP price on a console that's ended production, there is a thing call the second hand market
2. while that might be a valid assumption, that's still an assumption and no true guarantee that it'll happen,plus the games jarvio might like to play might not get ported at all
3. honestly, i just find this to be a bit snobbish, obviously he got another wii u b/c he wants to play the wii u, of course the switch would be a better investment, but telling someone to get a completely different console after their current one screws up is like saying the time and money they spent on the console they had is now meaningless [this is especially if they had plenty of downloaded stuff] ; sure, some people might be fine w/ just moving on, but the fact that jarvio went as far as to get another one shows there's still enjoyment to be had on that specific platform

my bad if this came across as aggressive, just thought i'd express a few thoughts

I have a switch lol. But there's no virtual console is there?

I like to use the wii u for the wii mode virtual console tbh, I know the wii itself would do the trick, but the wii u is both the wii u and the wii in one, so essentially 2 consoles in one. It's my only means of access to games like SS, TP (original), TP HD, and TWW HD, Mario Maker, plus many virtual console titles.

So yeah I see no reason not to own BOTH the wii u and the switch.

Zachie

Moo
1. not sure why you would assume anyone would pay the standard MSRP price on a console that's ended production, there is a thing call the second hand market
it's a fair assumption considering he already has an issue with his current Wii U and probably wouldn't want to risk getting a second hand Wii U that could have the same problem or even worse issues.

it's a fair assumption considering he already has an issue with his current Wii U and probably wouldn't want to risk getting a second hand Wii U that could have the same problem or even worse issues.

That was exactly my thinking on it. However, I couldn't even find a new one either way, so had to get a second hand one anyway.... from looking online, I haven't found anyone else that has my issue, so hopefully this second wii u won't have this specific issue. Can't speak for other issues though :/

Oh my jesus god damn christ!

Nintendo emailed me back after my 'complaint' to them, and they told me that looking into my records, my wii u console was replaced! They never told me this before!

And so, the same issue happened on a replaced wii u console?! What the hell!

What does this mean? I'm totally confused now. Could this mean that this is a bug with ALL Wii Us? I've never found anyone else mention it online, but for a handful of times it's happened to me, it's only happened on old games in wii mode virtual console!

I have no idea if it happens on wii u games itself on the wii u. Hasn't happened to me so far, but I don't play it as much lately as I have been with wii mode.

WTF is going on? And now I'm pissed off that I've probably brought a second wii u for no reason!

Last edited by a moderator:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Oh my jesus god damn christ!

Nintendo emailed me back after my 'complaint' to them, and they told me that looking into my records, my wii u console was replaced! They never told me this before!

And so, the same issue happened on a replaced wii u console?! What the hell!

What does this mean? I'm totally confused now. Could this mean that this is a bug with ALL Wii Us? I've never found anyone else mention it online, but for a handful of times it's happened to me, it's only happened on old games in wii mode virtual console!

I have no idea if it happens on wii u games itself on the wii u. Hasn't happened to me so far, but I don't play it as much lately as I have been with wii mode.

WTF is going on? And now I'm pissed off that I've probably brought a second wii u for no reason!
It could be the power outlet that you are useing.

It could be the power outlet that you are useing.

Tested by changing to both different ones, and the issue was still there.

Furthermore, whatever happens now, I am always going to be worried like mad when on the wii u for fear of it turning off, because I will NEVER know if the issue is fixed now with whatever I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom