Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
• A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
• A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
• Support for USB keyboards
• An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
• Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
• Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
• An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under "Internet"
• A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through "TV"
• Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
• A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under "Power Settings" when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
• Added the option to view a friend's profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
• Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
• Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
• Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
• Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
• Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
• Added support for viewing PDF files³
• Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.
² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.
³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.