• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U or Playstation 3?

Which should i get for x-mas? should i get a ps3 or try for a wii u? right now i'm thinkin wii u probably...
What do you think?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
My answer is bias considering one console is released and the other has yet to go on sale, but I would say PS3. The Wii U DOES NOT looking promising to me, but whether you like it or not is completely up to you.

Both systems have their perks. The call ultimately comes down to what you most want to see in a console.

The Wii U is obviously a brand new platform and will be the most powerful console on the market upon launch in November. The Game Pad is a new creative control scheme and features such as Nintendo TVii aim to add greater social leverage to a Nintendo platform than ever before.

A system launch is a double edged sword, however, as not much software is available for several months after release. I see you live in Kentucky. I suggest you view the launch list here. If you consider yourself a "hardcore" gamer or Nintendo loyalist, the Wii U may be the right fit for you.

Another argument against obtaining the Wii U is that preorders are already sold out. Obtaining the system this calendar year will be difficult if you haven't already reserved a package. Act now if you want the system under your Christmas tree.

The Playstation 3, on the other hand, enjoys the advantage of being a more established system. in traditional Sony fashion, the system is overflowing with great exclusives-Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance, etc. as well as worthwhile third party content including Grand Theft Auto IV, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and the Batman Arkham games.

I'd go for the PS3 unless motion control is your strong preference. Then Wii U should be your choice.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
271108b1.jpg
240121b1.jpg
As far as games go, I personally would get a PlayStation 3 if you're looking to get some great games immediately after purchase, or get the Wii U if you're looking for some ports immediately after purchase. By and large, the PS3 already has a solid library regardless of if you fancy those sorts or not. The Wii U on the flipside is a brand new console even by the time of X-mas, so it won't have a solid library even if you factor in the numerous ports. You'll have, what, around 30 games to choose from for the Wii U whereas you have far above 300 for the PS3. A couple years later and I expect the Wii U to have the same sort of games the PS3 has in addition to the kiddy Nintendo shovelware and the one or two Zelda games, but you're talking about within a month or so of the Wii U's launch. There won't be much to pick and choose from, and as the console hasn't released, we couldn't say as to whether the thing works or not. The PS3, however? Solid Internet, all sorts of multimedia services, great game library that you could tap into immediately since it is pre-existing, etc.

There's also the issue of backwards compatibility. All currently announced Wii U models will be fully backwards compatible with all Wii games, whereas only the very old (launch and a few after) have backwards compatibility with PS2 games. Will you be looking at your new purchase with elder systems in mind? If so, I would aim for the Wii U. If not, well, you know what I'll say in this instance.

But, it isn't only about the games in question. As I said, Internet connection is a thing. I won't comment on either system as the Wii U hasn't even launched (and as far as I know, no comments have been made as to its online multiplayer component), but are you going to buy either system with online gaming in mind? I hear many comments of the PSN being faulty and lacking dedicated servers (which is true, AFAIK). Knowing Nintendo, I expect it to be much the same [and, speaking from a Ninty online gamer's perspective, their systems do experience a ton of lag simply because servers are terrible, in addition to playing with people of varying Internet connection strengths].

The controllers, I don't think you'll have much trouble with on the long term, so I won't comment much. The Wii U GamePad is a behemoth, but you can opt for the Wii U Pro Controller immediately on launch if you so choose (bear in mind, some games require the GamePad). The PS3 has the PSMove which as far as I know is underused and naught but a rip off the Wiimote. And it also has the DualShock3, a staple for my own repertoire.

And another thing to consider is multimedia. The Wii U, despite being a completely modernized system as far as graphical display goes, cannot play CDs, DVDs or Blu Rays. You'll have to rely on the free application, Nintendo TVii, for your multimedia experience on the Wii U. Now, I don't know the full details, but I believe a quick video may be of use:
[video=youtube;08O0G9CjcI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08O0G9CjcI8[/video]

The PlayStation 3, however, plays Blu Ray, DVDs and CDs, in addition to having an Internet browser among other things. I'm not everyone, but I personally don't use my system to listen to music (except my PC). However, you may get a kick out of multimedia, in which case I'll point towards the PS3.

All in all, by the time X-Mas 2012 hits, the PS3 will be a million fold stronger than the Wii U. However, bear in mind the Wii U is still a new console at that time period, meaning it has time to grow and expand whereas the PS3 possibly could die along the road. I personally would reach out and grab the PS3, as it'd be stronger. But, if you're looking for something to age with, grab the Wii U.

Sources:
Wii U - Nintendo TVii Trailer - YouTube
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/240121b1.jpg
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/271108b1.jpg

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Go for what you as a gamer see more value in. Don't base your opinion on the opinions of others.

Last edited:
Wii U for sure

The only problem is that unless you're wild about every game in the launch line-up, you'll have to wait a bit before you have a real library of games to pick from, but it's definitely worth the wait

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I'd say Wii U just because Monster Hunter is coming out on it. But also because of all the other great games that are coming! Besides the fact I'm a Nintendo Loyalist, I think that Wii U is better because of the 1080p/i and great multiplayer potential! Also, you can get 1st party Nintendo games on it which is kinda hard to get on any other console... (although I did see a hack version of super mario world on a vita before :p).

Thank you all for your input!:) Now i have decided i'm gonna get a laptop for christmas since im going to college next year and save my money for the Wii U. Thanls again:D

Thank you all for your input!:) Now i have decided i'm gonna get a laptop for christmas since im going to college next year and save my money for the Wii U. Thanls again:D

Excellent choice. It has that awesome new controller and I got to play with it at a Convention recently. Epic stuff.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I would say the Playstation 3 because there are many cheap titles out there already (I mean look at the HD Collections, $10-$40 for 2-5 games) and there are still many more that are coming out. Nothing really looks to go for the Wii U right now, and i'm a hardcore Pikmin fan.

Jedizora

:right:
I'd go with the PS3. Although the launch titles for the Wii U look nice, it will be a while before it gets a large amount of games, and I love the lineup for the PS3. With games like inFamous, Littlebigplanet, and God of War, it's one of my favorite consoles to date.

In my opinion you should wait till there are more games for the Wii U, third party games may sometimes be nice but some of them aren't interesting. I would wait for more games and a price drop. Even though i hate the PS3, i must say it's library of games are extensive as well as interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom