• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U - Buy It Immediately or Wait?

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I was talking about this with some friends last night, do I buy a Wii U right away to be one of the first to have it, or should I wait to see how it plays out? I got my 3DS the moment GameStop opened on March 27th and I honestly regret it. It's not a fantastic system with a REALLY crappy launch library; I barely play it now, I'm currently waiting for new games. Yes, I do prefer the 20 free games over the $80 price drop, but what should I do about the Wii U? Nintendo's in a bit of a slump and they're at a business crossroads: hardware or software? Barely anyone does both nowadays. So what do I do?

Jedizora

:right:
I would want to bye, but I most likely won't have enough money. I'll have to wait a while.

I would wait a bit, at least a month to see how it plays out. If by a month there are no games that interest you, don't buy it. When a few good games do get announced, go and buy it.
That's what I'm doing with the 3DS. The only game out now that I like is OoT3D, and I don't even really want that (It was actually a disappointment for me, I was expecting more content). Maybe when Luigi's Mansion 2 comes out or if MM3D get made, or when a new Zelda get announced, I'll get it.
Oh and FS on the 3DS? I already beat it on the original Game Boy Advance. (It actually really great, if a bit short. It's a shame barely anyone played it.)
So there are few reasons for me to buy a 3DS. But now I'm rambling. You get the point.

I'll be buying it at launch, no doubt. How much do you think it will cost? I'd guess $300-$350. Anways, it looks great and hopefully it'll have good launch titles.

I was talking about this with some friends last night, do I buy a Wii U right away to be one of the first to have it, or should I wait to see how it plays out? I got my 3DS the moment GameStop opened on March 27th and I honestly regret it. It's not a fantastic system with a REALLY crappy launch library; I barely play it now, I'm currently waiting for new games. Yes, I do prefer the 20 free games over the $80 price drop, but what should I do about the Wii U? Nintendo's in a bit of a slump and they're at a business crossroads: hardware or software? Barely anyone does both nowadays. So what do I do?

The 3DS had a bad start but thats not to say its a bad system :(

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
OK thanks everyone for the help! The only system I've gotten at launch was a 3DS (I got my Wii in 2010 as well! and GameCube at the end of its lifespan; ditto with the 64.) So the conclusion I'm at right now is I'm going to wait a month or two (especially if I need more money! I have $300 in savings account from a summer job but that might all get spent with upcoming games this holiday season...unless I just ask for them for Christmas but THAT'S another topic :D) so thanks everyone for your advice! :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wait before you get one. In my opinion, you should way before getting any system because it could potentially flop and by the time you'll want to trade it back in, it could be too late. So, wait until some really rich games are released for the Wii U, then buy it.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Well, I am definitely getting it at launch, because I am a hardcore gamer.

But if you aren't, wait until the reviews.

By the way, I stayed up until Midnight in a shop camping to get a 3DS XD

Well, I am definitely getting it at launch, because I am a hardcore gamer.

But if you aren't, wait until the reviews.

By the way, I stayed up until Midnight in a shop camping to get a 3DS XD

Just because someone doesn't get a system right away, I don't think that means they're not a hardcore gamer. It just means they want to play it safe, or maybe they can't afford the system at the time.

For me, I'll wait. I'm not sure how I feel about the new controller, and to be honest, my Wii works perfectly fine, and I can't afford to be rushing off and buying a whole new system right now. Maybe later, when I have the money and know what games have been released and are in development, I'll consider it. I'll be just fine with my Wii until then.

The selling point for me is going to be third-party support for the system. I like having a variety of genres on a system. Despite Nintendo making awesome games, it still not enough (in my opinion) to keep my satisfaction satisfied. I guess I'll wait.

AgentPerry

Hoo hoo hoo!
I know I'll buy it at launch. (Even though it's expensive :() For my family, if there's a new Nintendo console, it needs to be bought at launch.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well I still haven't bought a Wii. I didn't, and still don't, see any redeeming value in it. It didn't have any decent exclusive Zelda games, at least until SS comes out, and I never liked the controls. It's not exactly accessible to me because of health issues anyway. I don't think there is a problem with waiting on the Wii U. It'll be a long time before they build up a decent game library anyway. Even if the controls are better this time around.
Personally I think Nintendo is starting to lose touch with reality as far as home consoles go. No matter what they try to do, they always end up alienating a vast majority of third party developers. And that's not a pattern that is good for long term survival, especially in today's video game market. I don't think this console is going to be that successful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was their last and Nintendo retreated to handhelds only.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Well, it is hard competing with the richest man in the world and the most overrated company of all time. And besides, Microsoft bought Rare, and Square Enix are keeping the games coming. Not to mention Wii U Zelda looks outstanding and blows the PS3 out of the water graphics wise. And the controller serves more use, we can watch better flash, etc.
And then Nintendo has all the great 1st party games. Super Mario 3D Land, Skyward Sword, Fire Emblem, Kirby Returns to Dreamland, Metroid Other M, etc. And the games we loved on VC. I do love SNES, NES, the Gameboy days and the N64, But it's revolutionary, and even Sony needed to copy Nintendo.

I for one plan on waiting, unless I happen to have the money at the time and the launch titles are worth it. Otherwise, I'll definitely wait it out like I did with the 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom