• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii Successor May Be Announced at E3 2011

Whilst it has previously been rumoured that worldwide chip-manufacturer Marvell Technology is to be the company that is to supply the CPU for Nintendo’s upcoming 3DS handheld, there is an even bigger piece of information that has surfaced.

Chairman, President and CEO of the company, Dr. Sehat Sutardgja had attributed an increase in production of their Armada line to a “major customer preparing to launch a new gaming platform,” with leaked technical specifications, which Nintendo are refusing to confirm, showing that the 3DS won’t be utilising something as powerful as the Armada chip.

Throw into the works that another Marvell executive has commented that Sutardgja was in fact referring to the latest quad-core Armada, which requires far too much power for it to be used within a mobile device, and things are starting to look a little more console-bound. If you don’t believe us on that front, Engadget confirm it.

If the details are indeed true, Nintendo have themselves a large quantity of powerful chips that aren’t able to be used within portable systems, and could very well be the core of a next-gen gaming system. E3 2011, my eyes are firmly fixated on you now.

Source: http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/2010/11/05/rumour-wii-successor-to-be-announced-at-e3-2011/

What do you guys think? Do you think it's real or a hoax?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I wouldn't be at all surprised, because it would be consistent with Nintendo's past behavior.

I once wrote the following, and I'll quote it here.

My gut sense is that Nintendo is going to release a successor to the Wii sometime in 2012 at the latest. The Wii has been around since 2006, meaning that it's already 4 years old. Take a look at how long the span is between consoles:

NES: 1985-1991= 6 years.
SNES: 1991-1996= 5 years.
N64: 1996-2001= 5 years.
GCN: 2001-2006= 5 years.

The longest span of time between the release of a system, and the release of its successor, has been 6 years. Since the SNES, Nintendo has consistently operated on a 5-year console cycle.

Thus, Nintendo is right on target for a new console sometime next year, if past trends are any indication.

The release may be a surprise, however, because they want people to keep buying Wiis in the interim.

I mean, think about it. The Wii was underpowered when released, and now the competing consoles have copied their motion gimmick. If they don't hurry up and bring something new to the table before their competitors come up with even MORE powerful consoles, they'll be eaten alive.

Also, Wii sales have started to decline recently, probably because the market is already saturated. If I were Nintendo, I would consider releasing a new console next year to be a wise move.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I think they just need to upgrade the Wii as opposed to putting something entirely new out. If you expect a new console then expect a pushed back SS because Nintendo will want to make it better for a release on that system, as they did with TP and GCN.

Kazumi

chagy
I wouldn't be surprised really. The Wii is dying, and quickly. I think that it is dying off faster then Nintendo expected. Personally, if PS Move had the games to back it (which is the only thing Nintendo still has going for the Wii), then I'd much rather use that as the technology is much better then the Wii remote. The Wii also is very underpowered, as people have been saying and the gimmick is starting to ware off. People are more technologically savvy now, and they're looking for HD and high quality graphics. Not to mention the fact that the PS3 and 360 themselves have evolved more, with advanced online experiences, social network integration, and lots of other things like Hulu Plus or ESPN. People are also looking towards downloadable games and media more and more these days, which is something that the Wii can't really offer properly. It's definitely time for something new.

I think they just need to upgrade the Wii as opposed to putting something entirely new out. If you expect a new console then expect a pushed back SS because Nintendo will want to make it better for a release on that system, as they did with TP and GCN.

That would be nice, but the problem with just upgrading the Wii is that Nintendo hasn't really left any way to do that. They did leave room for expansion in both the N64 (the Expansion Pak, which was used heavily) and the GameCube. The GameCube only had the GameBoy Player use that "expansion slot", but I believe they could have done something more if they wanted to. However as far as I know there is no way to just "upgrade" the Wii. Maybe they could do something with a USB port, but I doubt they could. If anything they should just release an official external hard drive for the Wii...

Majora's Cat

How about that
I agree with just about everyone else. The Wii has nearly reached its age of retirement. The simple truth is that it's run out of tricks - the Wii is just completely outclassed by other consoles so it's time for Nintendo to level up. The truth is that no one takes the Wii seriously - it's the laughingstock of the industry as we know it. Sure, the Wii was never as technically impressive as the 360 or the PS3, it still sold millions and millions of games, eclipsing video games sales for Microsoft and Sony's platforms. When it first came out, the Wii was fresh and new - no one bothered to even look at the pathetic games it sported because they were too immersed in the motion controls. Now it's becoming increasingly apparent that motion controls and party games aren't enough to keep the Wii afloat.

I'm actually quite surprised that the Wii even lasted this long. Perhaps the fanbase of casual gamers helped keep Nintendo in business. I would've liked to see Nintendo's plastic white piece of trash go down in flames earlier on, but hey - we're all guilty of purchasing Wii Play. I believe that Nintendo should focus its attention on making real game console now. It's time they went back to their roots and upped the ante when it comes to graphics and finally dispose of their evil ways. It's apparent that Nintendo does have a few tricks up its sleeve - the visuals on the 3DS look magnificent. I just hope that the next console will be in HD.

Microsoft and Sony made a big mistake with their new motion control consoles. It's likely that Kinect and Move will fail miserably and hopefully Nintendo can get back on top with a new, HD non-motion control console. :)

Z

zbygy9

A new Nintendo console in 2010 would be perfect. The Wii doesn't quite have what it takes to keep it going. I'd say 2012 would be realistic for a new system. With releases from all the core franchises released on the console, and Skyward Sword and the 3DS coming out next year, I'd say this generation is done for Nintendo. There is only so much you can do with Wii Sports/Fit too.

The Wii was and is still fun, but after this year I can't see them doing much else with it, save for SS. Next year is gonna be all about the 3DS.

this is why im excited about 3DS. it really looks like they will be focussing on hard core gaming again. i really hope the next nintendo console is even more powerful than the 3ds and will focus more on real games than casual ones

Very exciting news. I've been wondering for a long time if Nintendo was ever going to try and claim the top spot in the gaming world hardware-wise. It seems that for so long they've always been behind, even in the 90s (Sega ALWAYS had the better looking graphics, I thought). It would be awesome if they released a super home console with graphics that surpass even what we have now. And you know what would be better? I saw someone above mention a graphically powerful system with a traditional controller and no motion controls. YES. Nintendo, go back to what you used to be. Solidify your position as the number one gaming company in the world; keep creating amazing first party titles, but now match them with equally amazing hardware and old fashion controls.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I'm hoping that this is true.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo's gonna have as the successor to the Wii. Nintendo does need to come out with a new console especially now with all the new things that it's competitors are coming out with that involve motion controls and impressive visuals. I wonder if they'll build upon their motion controls with a new console. Maybe they might add some 3D features as what will be in the 3DS? Although I kinda doubt that since it'll be a lot harder to do it that way. But still, I'm curious to see what they're gonna do with a new console. I can't wait to see what they come up with and hopefully it'll be something really awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom