• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii Reverse Combatibility Help

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I got a used copy of WW today. YAY. I have a Wii, however. I know it's reverse compatible and the helpful store assistant told me I needed a Gamecube controller and a Gamecube memory card, but they only had the first. I'm trying to figure out what I need for the memory card. Is it something like this one? (Amazon.com link) I'm just a little confused about if it has to be specifically for the original Gamecube or if there is a newer one that works for both Wii and Gamecube.

Also, what size do you recommend I look for? I don't anticipate playing a lot of old games: mainly WW, a HP game, and a Mario I picked up tonight as well. I'm not sure how many memory blocks I'll need for that.

Thanks all. :)

Well, memory cards were only made for the Gamecube. Wii memory cannot be stored onto them, so its really just for Gamecube games. The one in the link is basically what you need. However, if you only plan on playing a couple Gamecube games, I would suggest finding the standard 59-block memory card.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Unfortunately, there are no newer memory cards for the Wii that store Gamecube games. The slots on the Wii used for GC memory card storage wouldn't allow the cards to store anything else even if they were capable of it.

I'd go ahead and take that memory card you're looking at on Amazon, or even this one. They're so cheap right now that I don't see the point in skimping on space. It's possible that they'll stop making them, they'll become scarce, and then you'll be out of luck if you ever build up a library of GC games.

The smallest memory card you could find would support about two or three games on average, but why take the chance when you can get the best for around $30? GC games are honestly some of the best you can find, and I think once you start with them, you won't be able to stop. ;)

In any case, please don't get the Memory Card 59... I think there are actually a few games that take up more memory blocks than that card has to offer! Zelda would only eat around half of it, but still... you have three games. On top of that, it's not even much cheaper than the Memory Card 251 anymore. They stopped making it for a reason.

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Awesome, thanks. By any chance do you know how many memory blocks WW needs? Or rather, Google is telling me about 12. Does that sound right?

Awesome, thanks. By any chance do you know how many memory blocks WW needs? Or rather, Google is telling me about 12. Does that sound right?
Yes, WW does take 12 blocks of memory...

The smallest memory card you could find would support about two or three games on average, but why take the chance when you can get the best for around $30? GC games are honestly some of the best you can find, and I think once you start with them, you won't be able to stop. ;)
The smallest to my knowledge is a 59-block memory card. One of those can support far more than two or three games.

athenian200

Circumspect
Yes, WW does take 12 blocks of memory...

The smallest to my knowledge is a 59-block memory card. One of those can support far more than two or three games.

Well, my perspective might be distorted because I played a couple of GC games that took up 38 blocks. I think there was one that took up over 60.

I wouldn't say FAR more than 2 or 3 games. If the average game takes up 10-15 blocks, that's still just 4 or 5.

Sigh. I suppose if you're really strapped for cash, you can get the Memory Card 59. But again, I would not recommend any card smaller than the Memory Card 251. I mean, it's only $8. The Memory Card 59 is $6. That's an awful lot to give up for a $2 savings.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
It may be a moot point...the only 59-block card I see on amazon.com right now is a generic brand that's about the same price as the Nintendo brand that has more space. I'd thought about the largest card, but I'm reading that some people had corruption problems with it when used with the Wii. I don't anticipate playing any games with large save files (famous last words), but thanks for the thought. Also thanks to both of you for enabling my Zelda playing. :D

It may be a moot point...the only 59-block card I see on amazon.com right now is a generic brand that's about the same price as the Nintendo brand that has more space. I'd thought about the largest card, but I'm reading that some people had corruption problems with it when used with the Wii. I don't anticipate playing any games with large save files (famous last words), but thanks for the thought. Also thanks to both of you for enabling my Zelda playing. :D
Corruption is the usually the player's own fault. It normally happens when the power is turned off during loading and save times. I use the Wii for playing Gamecube games and nothing has happened to my memory card yet. Though there are times where corruption will happen and formatting is needed.

athenian200

Circumspect

You're welcome.

Yeah, your information is correct. Nintendo doesn't really make 59-block cards anymore, so you'd have to get a used or generic one, which isn't ideal. So whether I'd recommend one is kind of a moot point. ;)

Your instinct was correct, actually. This argument between us is really just an egotistical debate about the merits of minimalism vs. extensibility. You honestly knew what you needed before you came here. :embarrassed:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Your instinct was correct, actually. This argument between us is really just an egotistical debate about the merits of minimalism vs. extensibility. You honestly knew what you needed before you came here. :embarrassed:

Heh,that's good to know. It didn't feel like I knew what I needed, though, so it was great to get the verification! Saved me from potentially wasted money if it was the wrong kind and sadness at not being able to play a game when I was expecting to. (Such as my last trip to the store where I bought a GameCube game not realizing I needed a memory card. Oops.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom