• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii Has No Official Memory Card?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
There's something about the Nintendo Wii that bothers me a little. Every other system Nintendo has made has had an officially branded memory card. The Gamecube, the N64's Controller Pak, and before that it was directly on the cartridge.

The Wii has a slot for SD memory cards, but Nintendo doesn't make one, thus we're forced to go with a third-party solution for storage! This makes me a little uncomfortable that we'll be stuck with inferior quality.

I'm concerned that they "sold out" by going with an SD card slot, basically saying "Meh, we don't care about the quality, we'll just use the standard computer stuff that we don't monitor quality on, and let people use whatever they've got laying around."

I suppose this just bothers me more than it bothers other people, because up to now, I've never had to consider using a third-party product with my Nintendo system. I feel very concerned that SanDisk's third-party storage solution won't live up to the high standards I've come to expect from Nintendo products.

Is no one else bothered by this? How safe do you think our saved games are on these things?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I think they're decently safe if you have a high memory SD card (I have one that has 8 gigs of memory!). And I never really worried about them at all. I just went to the store and picked up whatever I could afford (news flash: my 8 gig SD card was cheaper than a 2 gig SD card and they were both from the same store and the same brand). And also, Nintendo does make first part memory cards for it and I've commonly seen them at places like Walmart and such, but they usually don't have very high memory and they're more expensive than that of third party SD cards.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
They don't have to make their own. It would be a waste of time and resources. There are perfectly good products made by 3rd party companies. As long as you get one that was made by a reliable company, such as SanDisk, or Lexar. Kingston is good as well. Just stay away of companies you've never heard of, as their products may be shoddy.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I've never found a problem with using third-party items for Wii or any other console before. Besides, the new memory card system on the Wii makes it much easier to use SD cards to protect memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom