• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Why?

OotLord1003

Young Link
Well, first off. Zelda II was VERY different, and it was new to the players that it was a side scroll. Because it was the second zelda EVER made, nintendo was trying to incorporate new ideas into zelda. I think the only bad thing about it is that it was HARD, and the side scrolling made it even harder. Because the original zelda was all a top view, so when fans where put to the test of top view, with a mix of RPG, and side scrolling. It made some people think that it wasn't that good. Zelda II has a Love it, or Hate it way to it. So me personally, I really liked it's difficulty and how it made a new feel to that game. But yet....It's not my favorite.

But yet it being the TRUE zelda game....well, that's a bit odd. It was the ONLY zelda with side scrolling (apart from the CDI series) so if you think it's the only true zelda, well that's just your opinion. I think that the TRUE zelda is Ocarina of Time. But yet, it's only my opinion. See, their are ALOT of people who think that zelda II was pretty bad. But I'm with you bud, I think game was pretty cool.

kindlyone

I am The Kindlyone
hey oot lord i ment true zelda in a way that ment it wasn't a spin off of a zelda game it was actually made by nintendo etc.

Also i think Ocarina of time and related titles are the best zelda games to date.

hey oot lord i ment true zelda in a way that ment it wasn't a spin off of a zelda game it was actually made by nintendo etc.

Also i think Ocarina of time and related titles are the best zelda games to date.

Also i enjoyed the challenge of course i like my games to kill me 400 times before i get good i liked the original ninja gaiden for the Nes a super hard game so my taste may be different in terms of diffuculty

idk why it repeated my words that was werd

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well AoL is part side scroller, what do you mean by "Why do you the people of zelda dungeon think that the second legend of zelda was part side scroller" I don't get it.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Well, I think that makes your point exactly, AoL was different and it did feel like a "Non-nintendo" game. It was something new that Nintendo wanted to try....and it didn't work out so well, which is why they didn't repeat it.

Kybyrian

Well, the whole reason that Zelda II was a sidescroller was because it was only the second game. Nintendo wanted to try new ideas. They had made the first Zelda and it was pretty successful, so they thought that they'd go ahead and try something a little different, see if they could get even more people to start playing. It just so happens that they preferred other ideas over the sidescrolling. They didn't get rid of the sidescrolling completely, though. There were brief points in some portable games that had sidescrolling.

It just so happens that Nintendo decided to use other ideas instead of sidescrolling. They just seemed better, I suppose.

A

Algalord

I think the only bad thing about it is that it was HARD

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I really preferred this level of difficulty over OoT's. Don't get me wrong; OoT was possibly the best in the series, but I felt bereft of any real challenge. The fact that people seriously attempt getting through it with 3 hearts and no shield are testament to that… I wouldn't mind if they released a Master Quest or Ura Zelda type of remake that makes 6 hearts the max limit, doubled enemy damage or BOTH. Having difficulty modes with bonus playable content or alt endings for harder difficulties would be great and give players options… I wonder why more games don't have them.

Adventure of Link actually sold very well, something like over 4 million copies, if I recall correctly. I don't understand why people don't think it was successful. I wouldn't want it to replace the open-world adventure style, but I think it was a nice addition. I actually think it'd be kind of cool if they made a Zelda game similar to Paper Mario; the Mario series can branch out with Mario Kart and such while still having the flagship adventure titles like Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, so why can't Zelda?

Moldorm

Is not Error
I don't understand why people don't think it was successful.

I agree...

I'd say AoL, while different, was a success with me as a Zelda fan. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with a title. Perhaps it may have been a little premature to do with the direct sequel to such an iconic game. On the other hand, at the release of AoL, the Zelda series wasn't near the powerhouse it is today, and consequently was probably under less scrutiny. Nonetheless, Nintendo went back to the classic top-down presentation for ALttP, which was a relief for me, as it is my preferred style for the game.

What I find a little funny is, when Zelda went 3d in OoT I was in a mix of excitement and disappointment, excitement for the graphical upgrade but disappointment that my favorite style of Zelda was probably never coming back to my console. :(

But, on a positive note, changing the perspective of AoL likely allowed the producers to gain valuable feedback to strengthen the series as a whole, as it was going to have to transition to a higher graphical plane anyway, as well as to enhance gameplay for a growing audience. I certainly don't see AoL as any sort of outsider. If anything it has a unique quality possessed by no other title in the series, and that's something to valued.

...ZZZ

Am I still typing? =\

pacpix

AWESOME
I do think that it was a great game and definitly deserves to be in hte zelda series. But i don't think it properly shows what zelda is because it is the only Zelda sidescroller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom