• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Zelda Wii Should Incorporate GCN/Classic Controller Option!

It looks like they won't use the controller options, as it looks like that's no longer possible. I really wish they would incorporate that, I don't always like motion controls, and I know I hated it in TP, but that isn't an option anymore.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
I definatly agree. I like some aspects of the Wii remote, however I do find it shocking and irritating that they haven't made the new game compatable with the other controller setup. I won't always feel like using a Wii remote. After all, Its not my favorite gaming tool. I personally like old style controllers better.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

I have a certain dislike of motion controls, in that I still like classic controllers and they will always appeal to me. Motion controls DO (as a fact) alienate some gamers, both those who are incapable of performing the actions and those who just don't want to. Believe it or not, it can cause difficulty, even the dinky functions in games like Metroid Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy.

Also, are you saying that the motion controls detracted from SMG or the Metroid Prime games? Gosh, that's just really surprising to me. SMG's motion controls were so minimal as to be unobtrusive...and adding motion controls to the Prime Trilogy made those games infinitely better--I would never go back. I don't ever want to play a shooter without a pointer again.

First of all, I will never understand how Super Mario Galaxy can be held up as an example of good motion control in a game. Shaking the remote to spin-jump? You might just as well say that New Super Mario Bros. Wii has Motion controls. But "unobtrusive"? No. Sure, it's not exactly like lifting weights, but having to shake the remote back-and-forth over and over again does make my wrists sore after a while. If that makes me a baby, so be it.

And as for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, let's not forget those awful gimmicks: Pull out! Twist the remote counterclockwise! Push in! Point and click to press buttons! Are you having fun yet!? Now I won't argue that Prime and Echoes weren't awesome with the Corruption-style controls in Trilogy. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that they weren't awesome on the GameCube. Maybe the new controls were an improvement, but I think the Metroid Prime series is evidence that you can make an awesome game that works with both buttons and motion controls.

Admittedly, Prime and Echoes were not designed for motion controls, and Corruption was designed to be consistent with the first two (except for the aforementioned gimmicks). I'll grant you that, Jupiter: Putting classic controls in a game designed from the ground up for MotionPlus will change the experience for those who choose the classic option.

But that just makes me question the wisdom of picking Zelda, a franchise for which the fans have such high--and often specific--expectations, for a from-the-ground-up MotionPlus game. Would it kill them to try it out on Star Fox instead? (Actually there are some serious possibilities there, but that's another thread).

I guess my overall opinion is that while MotionPlus (and motion controls more generally, and for that matter stylus controls) can be really good things, I don't see how a preference for button controls makes one backward or fearful of the future. New isn't necessarily better or worse. It's just newer. The idea is to use the right tool for the right job. So on the one hand, just because we have this new technology doesn't mean we have to use it all the time. On the other hand, if the controls are executed well (in a way that adds to, rather than detracting or distracting from, the game) then they should by all means be used. I think Nintendo can pull it off.

And if Nintendo is clever enough to create a game that uses MotionPlus to the fullest without seeming gimmicky, then it's possible (but by no means a given) that they'll be clever enough to figure out a way to make a classic option that doesn't detract from the experience.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Yeah, I don't think Nintendo has even thought about implementing the regular controller option for SS. All they've talked about was how it works with the WM+ (and they slipped in some stuff about the story here and there). Honestly, I think that if Nintendo actually tried hard enough, they could make a regular controller compatible for the new SS game, but it wouldn't be as much fun of course. Plus there would have to be a lot of complex button mashing for the regular controller. I mean, you can't simply press A while running to throw a bomb because now you can actually roll it underhand. There is also dashing and some sort of form of jumping (?) Nintendo NOT using the regular controller for SS is a smart idea, but they really could have made it optional for a lot of other games, including Twilight Princess.
And on another note, a lot of people who played Twilight Princess on the Wii completely loathed it because they had bad arthritis. They could only play it for 2 hours tops and then they'd have to take a break for 2 days. So I can see where people are coming from when they want the classic controller as an option, but it just wouldn't work for the SS game....at all.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
First of all, I will never understand how Super Mario Galaxy can be held up as an example of good motion control in a game. Shaking the remote to spin-jump? You might just as well say that New Super Mario Bros. Wii has Motion controls. But "unobtrusive"? No. Sure, it's not exactly like lifting weights, but having to shake the remote back-and-forth over and over again does make my wrists sore after a while. If that makes me a baby, so be it.

And as for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, let's not forget those awful gimmicks: Pull out! Twist the remote counterclockwise! Push in! Point and click to press buttons! Are you having fun yet!? Now I won't argue that Prime and Echoes weren't awesome with the Corruption-style controls in Trilogy. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that they weren't awesome on the GameCube. Maybe the new controls were an improvement, but I think the Metroid Prime series is evidence that you can make an awesome game that works with both buttons and motion controls.

Um, yes, actually I would say that New Super Mario Brother's Wii was a motion control game. A game does not have to use motions for everything to benefit from the enhancement of motion controls. Let's not forget that in addition to the spin move there were motion controls for tilting platforms and such. Also, Galaxy also used motion controls for other things like the rolling ball levels, it used the pointer for various functions, there were the surfing/para sailing levels (SMG 1 and 2 respectively). So yeah, both of those games were absolutely motion control games.

Now as for prime, yeah, those games worked without motion controls, I guess...just like TP did...but that is just because they were not designed for them. Also, I will NEVER play a shooter without a pointer again. I think Prime and Echoes suck without it and can't stand playing them with analog controls. Just awful.

As for Skyward Sword. How can anybody possibly say that this came could work without motion controls? I mean, have you been paying attention? Did you see the trailers and demos?? No way. The game is designed completely around using motion controls, it would be impossible to have a classic controller without completely remaking the game. I seriously don't know why we are even talking about this anymore.

There is no way it will happen. Look at the combat and how it requires a swing at specific angles to damage opponents. They would basically have to start over to add a controller option.

Like most people have already stated,The game was built around wii motion plus.Just look at the door/eye puzzle we saw at e3.If nintendo used the joysticks as a control method(i.e where the second controll stick would be the sword movements) then it would work fine(now that I think of it,That a pretty good idea) but that would also alienate most gamers becouse we have all gotten used to the standered controlls of the b botton and joystick combinations(i.e joystick up and B= virticle slice ect.).The joystick method would work fine for handicap players and anyone who isn't really picky about controll schemes but The joystic controls really defeats the purpose of wii motion. You would solve the handicap issue but what about the other half?I think that it is almost imposable to get back to gamecube and classic controller controls without comepletely altering the game,That is asuming if most of the puzzles in the game are similer to the door/eye puzzle.Now for the issue of enemy fights.If the blocking system for the enemys was just virticle, horizontal, and diagonal slices to get past sheilds and swords ect. then the standard gamecube/classic controller control schemes would work fine but it wouldn't work if it was more precise sword swinging the it wouldn't.

The game was not made to support standered game controllers.If it were to happen,it would probably appear as an afterthought and it a shame becouse so many people including myself would love standered control(not that we're not excited for wii motion plus).This is just a no brainer for people who are handicapped. But unfortunately I don't think its going to happen. :(

Austin

Austin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbxKczcQXA&feature=player_embedded#!

The two people in this video express my thoughts pretty well. I just don't see why I should be forced to accept motion controls if I'm happier with a standard controller. I still hold that it's possible to map out the scheme onto a regular controller (and Cooldogs, who actually knows computers pretty well seems to agree). However, thanks to Jupiter's oh-so-mature rebuttal I've accepted that Nintendo really can't be bothered to do such a thing. *sigh*

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbxKczcQXA&feature=player_embedded#!

The two people in this video express my thoughts pretty well. I just don't see why I should be forced to accept motion controls if I'm happier with a standard controller. I still hold that it's possible to map out the scheme onto a regular controller (and Cooldogs, who actually knows computers pretty well seems to agree). However, thanks to Jupiter's oh-so-mature rebuttal I've accepted that Nintendo really can't be bothered to do such a thing. *sigh*

Yeesh. Sorry for any past immaturity...trying to communicate at a level that everyone can understand. :lol: I kid, I kid.

But. Come. On. People! I can't believe that we are still talking about this after seeing the demo of this SS. Seriously, how could you actually believe that this game could work with a classic controller--it boggles the mind. Even if you could, somehow, awkwardly, map the motion controls to a classic controller it would be a totally different experience. Get with it. 'Cause it ain't getting with you (there will be no classic controller option, period).

You would play Wii Sports Resort with a classic controller :S. Or do I mean: :sick: Yes, that is what I mean...you would prefer to play tennis with a classic controller. You would prefer eat your food with a classic controller. Ride a roller coaster with it. Make love with it. :sick: :sick:

And this is not to say anything of what I feel about the Motion+ gameplay I have seen--I love it! It looks exciting and challenging...I love how natural and fast it will be. I love how freely I will be able to move and attack--so many options without th constraints of buttons :D! It will bring challenge back to Zelda...both combat challenge and puzzle challenge (well puzzle challenges never really left, the combat challenge has been absent since Zelda 2). And then there are the sheer variety of ways to use all the different weapons: bomb bowling and whipping hither and thither! I looks great! Look on the bright side of this all you grumpy Gusses!

*This post has been edited to reduce immaturity to or near respectful levels*

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I LOVE the idea of the WiiMotionPlus (along with the WiiMote) being used in this game. But consider this for those of you who want the classic controller used as well. Could it be possible to use the classic controller, but have a setting that whenever you used something that had to be aimed (aka, the slingshot, bow, hookshot, etc) that you could grab the WiiMote and use that in order to aim and fire it?
Nintendo did it for games as early as duckhunt (albeit it just for the pause function, and some basic menu functions) but with the technology that we have now it wouldn't be all that hard.

Now I know what some people are going to say about that being unweildly, but that would at least incorporate everyone (physical disabilities or otherwise) and could even make the game almost a TWO-PLAYER game, allowing loved ones (who may not be that into video games, or even if they are!) to help by doing the aiming and shooting during certain parts of the game, making it a bonding type of activity.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom