• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why This Stereotype?

Stereotypes often exist because of the human urge to blow things out of proportion and tarnish the reputation of those people and objects they deem non beneficial or even detrimental in some way, shape, or form; they are also created by people who wish to maintain the traditional status quo.

Personally, I don't hear this stereotype as much as those bashing the Wii, however, it continues to rear its ugly head from time to time. Call of Duty has simply become a global phenomenon and ow haters are going to hate. It certainly doesn't help that the franchise has been running on essentially the same engine since 2007. I've read some of the previous posts in this thread and don't necessarily agree that Nintendo fans are having a significant impact on this impression although in an effort to defend the integrity of their system which is scoffed at for its motion controls and lack of third party support, that may play a part. I also don't see PC gamers as having much of an effect on this either. Personally, 360 and PS3 gamers have contributed to such stereotypes themselves by fans of one console profusely flaming those who favor the other.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
That's because that's what those systems are more associated with. I always saw PS1, PS2, and Ps3 as more action based systems than anything. While I always saw every Nintendo and Sega as all genre systems. The popularity of Call of Duty on the 360 and PS3 can be to blame for the continued steriotype of those systems. Even the existance of Mario on the Nintendo will keeep people thinking that their systems are more towards family and children.

I've never heard that stereo-type, although both consoles do have more MW/CoD/BF3 gamers than any other game-type. Shooters are dominate in the gaming industry right now.

Its because there are people ignorant of games like Psychonauts, although the PC version of that games was much better, Oh wait PS3/X360 no I dunno.

i think that stereotype is present due to the mass of people that do have ps3s n 360s just 4 that but yeah i agree with you there are some awesome ps3/360 games out there like assassins creed n stuff

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
It's because those are the types of games that are pushed the most on these systems, so in a way it is true. On the other hand there are some good games on these systems that require strategy- RPGs and Fighters, for example, that don't make it to the Wii... and are even superior than those on the Nintendo platforms.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
No matter how much I hate the Xbox, i must admit thats not true. Both consoles have some great games, but honestly, some people truly do only play it for the shooters. Yet to be honest, most people i know don't really play shooters on PS3. Anyway, Its just a dumb stereotype. I just hope COD fades away.

Big Octo

=^)
Stereotype? More like the truth. While there may be some games that involve other things than blowing things up (like sports games), at least 98% of Xbox/PS3 players just play Battlefield or CoD or Halo or some other similar FPS.

This is simply not true. It sounds more like something that'd come out of the mouth of someone that doesn't really know the system(s) as well as they think they do...

Hylianhero is close to accurate actually, well at least here in the west. Shooters are the number 1 selling genre at this time and well you guessed it, they sell more on the 360 and PS3 then on wii.

Big Octo

=^)
Hylianhero is close to accurate actually, well at least here in the west. Shooters are the number 1 selling genre at this time and well you guessed it, they sell more on the 360 and PS3 then on wii.
Actually, what HH said was quite different. He suggested that generic shooters are pretty much the only games bought for PS3 or Xbox 360, which is, as I said, not true.

Hmmm i took what he said as more ofa exaggeration just to get a point across, but i 100% agree with you in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom