• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why the "official" Timeline Looks Like It Does

Yah, they ran along with us that there was a Timeline and never yet to find the one I find. I have multiple explanations in mine, but there just for a video I will soon create. It only splits once Nintendo, Link didn't split it when he pulled out the Master Sword, he split it when Zelda sent him BACK.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I don't mind the third split, but rather than putting it in some hypothetical, "what if" category, I propose that Ganondorf might have killed Link while he was sleeping for seven years. This isn't in the game, but it is better than saying that every Game Over could be a potential timeline split.

I do not believe that every time time travel happens another timeline is created, it was just because of the way it happened at the end of OoT, so Link failing is just a what-if line. It is convenient that they opened up a timeline where Ganon survives, and this could very well be why they did this, but I don't see why they can't just bring Ganon back from the dead. Link dies every time, assumedly from old age, but he still does, so I don't see why they can't reincarnate him the same why. I just don't like seeing a timeline where all games can't exist without the others being void.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
I think there's a misconception over that new third timeline. It's not a "what-if", and it's really not about Link failing. Here is a possible explanation:

There are three timelines because three people created these timelines - first Ganon when he enters the Sacred Realm to take over the world, then Link when he goes back in time to get the Lens of Truth, and then Zelda when she sends Link back in time to be a child again. In other words, the second timeline came from the first, and then the third timeline came from the second.

In a nutshell, when you go back in time to change something, the future changes and creates a new timeline.

This, so much.

I don't want to go in depth into why this theory is right as this thread is not the place for it.

If you really look into it, there's a lot to like about the Downfall Timeline. Nintendo wouldn't release a third timeline split with such a flimsy reason as ALttP fits into a place where Link fails. There are more reasons than one.

EDIT: I have come to the understanding that the following is wrong, thanks to Locke.
I do not believe that every time time travel happens another timeline is created [...]

Think of it like this: every time Link goes back in time from adult to child, a new timeline is created. Every timeline that he leaves subsequently becomes a 'Link failing' timeline (as they've been so popularly dubbed). so that leaves us with a numerous number of 'Link failing' timelines. the number varies depending on the player's experience, but the key point is that this doesn't matter. Every time Link leaves a timeline, he 'fails'. And every timeline that Link 'fails' in, the same event takes place. The Sealing War. Basically, ALttP happens on every timeline that Link leaves.

The only problem with this is that there are slight changes in each of the 'Link fails' timelines, such as saving the Gorons/Zora.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
This, so much.

I don't want to go in depth into why this theory is right as this thread is not the place for it.

If you really look into it, there's a lot to like about the Downfall Timeline. Nintendo wouldn't release a third timeline split with such a flimsy reason as ALttP fits into a place where Link fails. There are more reasons than one.

Think of it like this: every time Link goes back in time from adult to child, a new timeline is created. Every timeline that he leaves subsequently becomes a 'Link failing' timeline (as they've been so popularly dubbed). so that leaves us with a numerous number of 'Link failing' timelines. the number varies depending on the player's experience, but the key point is that this doesn't matter. Every time Link leaves a timeline, he 'fails'. And every timeline that Link 'fails' in, the same event takes place. The Sealing War. Basically, ALttP happens on every timeline that Link leaves.

The only problem with this is that there are slight changes in each of the 'Link fails' timelines, such as saving the Gorons/Zora.
When Link travels back in time with the MS, he is travelling along a "river" of time, as described by Sheik.
Past, present, future...
The Master Sword is a ship with
which you can sail upstream and
downstream through time's river...
The port for that ship is in the
Temple of Time...
It's quite clearly described as a linear path between past, present, and future. Back and forth between the (two, in this case) ports. If you want more concrete evidence, take the Song of Storms paradox. Guru-guru knows the song in the future even before you go back to the past. When you travel back to teach it to him, that affects that same future, not a new one.

Finally, the Hyrule Historia clearly describes the split as a "what-if" situation:
This is where, if the Hero of Time, Link, is defeated, another timeline will unfold. Please turn to page 92.
The thief, Ganondorf, obtains the Triforce of Power and gets his hands on Princess Zelda. Link, the Hero of Time, challenges him for the destiny of Hyrule, but is defeated.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I still feel ALTTP and the games thereafter would have fit snuggly after FSA. The map similarities, the item similarities, the origins of Demon Ganon, the position of the Master Sword (due to TP being prior to FSA). All flows smoothly and is logical. I also feel that while TMC is perfect where it is, FS could be right before FSA as a direct prequel.

Those are just what I believe, though. What I'm sticking with.

I am honestly not that happy that they released the timeline in Hyrule Historia, simply because, it was fun watching videos about other people's theories. I do not have much of an imagination, so I don't actually have my own theory. I do believe that the timeline that was officially released is a good and accurate one, and it makes sense.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Nintendo is officially trolling us. We try so hard to come up with our elaborate theory and they just bash it with some grotesque thing that does not make much sense at all. Oh well. At least we have an actual legit timeline, even though it is majorly messed up.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Nintendo is officially trolling us. We try so hard to come up with our elaborate theory and they just bash it with some grotesque thing that does not make much sense at all. Oh well. At least we have an actual legit timeline, even though it is majorly messed up.

It's not, it does make sense (yes, even the decline timeline), my only nudges are with the adult and decline timelines, they should be the other way around (WW follows Link's defeat and ALttP follows the imprisoning of Ganon by Link)

I see the timeline like this. An alternate universe exists for every possible scenario. This makes this timeline not only possible, but the most likely scenario for the series timeline. Plus, with what-if scenarios, Ganon could exist for any game at any point in the timeline after Ocarina of Time. This also would be a good reason to implement multiple endings in Zelda games, which I may start a thread about later.
I actually proposed a timeline almost identical to this once, except without the what-if scenario, and I got a lot of criticism for it. The bottom line is: Every placement on this timeline has been confirmed, and every statement ever made by the creators about the timeline still applies in this timeline. Add to that the fact that there are almost no flaws in this timeline. I think the only reason that there is so much fan backlash is because the fans don't like the idea of a what-if scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom