• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why the Need for a Magic Meter?

There's been a very charged call for a return of the magic meter for awhile now. I'm not necessarily for or against it, but I am curious as to what, specifically, it adds to the game. Increased resource management? That's the only purpose I've ever really observed it to have served.

Link's never been stripped of magical abilities simply because of its absence, nor has the game been more or less mundane as a result of its presence. The meter is simply that-- a meter. All it does is place limits upon how much magic you use, not necessarily whether or not you can use it. If anything, we've seen more unique items emerge ever since it disappeared in The Wind Waker.

Last edited:
its not a magic meter people want as much as actual magic/magical items I guess. and in the grand tradition of every rpg ever, where there is magic, there is a magic meter to go along with it

Salem

SICK
I don't think it is necessary for most magic items, like the Deku leaf from WW, Lens of truth, those shouldn't have been tied to the magic meter.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't think it is necessary for most magic items, like the Deku leaf from WW, Lens of truth, those shouldn't have been tied to the magic meter.

I disagree with the Lens of Truth, it being tied to the magic meter is what made the dungeons and areas you need it in that little bit more challenging.

I want the magic meter back for that reason, and also the items reason. I think magic is traditional in Zelda games.

Salem

SICK
I disagree with the Lens of Truth, it being tied to the magic meter is what made the dungeons and areas you need it in that little bit more challenging.
Challenging in what way? You need the lens of truth to solve the dungeons.

Beauts

Challenging in what way? You need the lens of truth to solve the dungeons.

Exactly, so you are often battling with your magic meter running low, especially if you don't get the double magic upgrade. And this goes doubly in dungeons where you might use fire or light arrows or Din's Fire. Having to keep an eye on that makes things a bit more challenging especially if you're new to a game.

Salem

SICK
Exactly, so you are often battling with your magic meter running low, especially if you don't get the double magic upgrade. And this goes doubly in dungeons where you might use fire or light arrows or Din's Fire. Having to keep an eye on that makes things a bit more challenging especially if you're new to a game.
I dunno, in OoT I never use the magic items because I always wanna conserve them for puzzle solving, if the puzzle solving items like the lens and deku leaf were NOT tied to the , but not the magic arrows, I might've considered using them throughout the game more.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I prefer the magic meter, without it I see no reason to buy green potion, since I would have to stop to recover stamina in SS anyway.

Beauts

I dunno, in OoT I never use the magic items because I always wanna conserve them for puzzle solving, if the puzzle solving items like the lens and deku leaf were NOT tied to the , but not the magic arrows, I might've considered using them throughout the game more.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I used to be really cautious with the magic items but then I realised that's why they give you potions and the Great Fairy's and started using them more, even just for entertainment purposes like shooting the mummies and redeads with fire arrows (lol) :P

I prefer the magic meter, without it I see no reason to buy green potion, since I would have to stop to recover stamina in SS anyway.

I forgot about potions til you mentioned this but yes, and also I agree about the stamina thing, unless you upgraded them to like ++ there was no point

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It offers nothing but a hindrance to fun. It places unnecessary limits on some items while giving room to other OP items. With luck, it will replenish itself in the future like it did in ABLW, but up until then it has been a plague on this series.

Hayato

Private detective
It offers nothing but a hindrance to fun. It places unnecessary limits on some items while giving room to other OP items. With luck, it will replenish itself in the future like it did in ABLW, but up until then it has been a plague on this series.
I think the limit of the magic meter is to make gamers more strategic and not to just go crazy with items because it will be way to easy. Take for example TLOZ, you needed rupees to fire arrows and it keeps you saving them and using them wisely, i dont think its a hindrance, if the meters dissapear the game will feel more unrealistic and easy.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I love powerful magical items, and I like having the magic meter to keep those items and spells in check. Nayru's Love is my most favorite spell of all time, but without a magic meter limit to using it, it's way too over powered. IIRC, you needed to have the upgraded magic meter to use the spell in the first place, and even then it ate up maybe a third or half of the bar. It's been awhile, so I don't remember exactly.

I think magical items give the series more versatility. If I don't like using Light Arrows against Ganon, I can use my favorite spell instead, and just have to guzzle mana potions like they're going out of style. And my favorite way to defeat Shadow Link was using Din's Fire. I would really like to see more magic used in the series, so if someone isn't really the sword play type (like myself) they can rely on other means to defeat their enemies.

And as Beauts also said, having a magic meter for a puzzle that requires a magical item makes the puzzle that much harder. You can't just shoot spells where ever you feel like it or keep the Lens of Truth on constantly and find your answers. You need to be conservative what resources you have, and actually think about what you're attempting to accomplish.

Djinn

and Tonic
Same for me, the magic meter is not really as important as the magical items returning. To me those were some of the most fun items to have around in the game and really fun to just play around with in the open area outside of the dungeons they are found in. I love using things like the fire and ice rods, Deku leaf, or the medallions pretty much anywhere. It was in the games that came after the meter was removed that a lot of the fun items just kind of vanished. Then the things you collected only really had the purpose of beating the dungeon you found them in and then had no more use again.

With magic items you get to do a lot of more fun tricks like the ice+hammer trick for hearts and magic jars, or use the deku leaf/roc's cape to get into a lot of hard to reach places. They just add an extra element to the game that is just not there in the magic-less games.

ILU

i luv u
Because magic meter means magic items and/or spells! Miss those SOOOO MUCH! Oh man, Din's Fire? Fffffyes! Remember Bombos/Quake/Ether?! Lens of Truth? What about the Fairy spell?! OH MAN FIRE/ICE/LIGHT ARROWS!!! *screaming* Oh man, magic is so unbelievably fun.

But without a meter, you're straight up OP. Gotta put a limit on that and make the player strategize. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom