• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Why the Adventure?

crazeh navi

Guardian of Equestria
In MM, Link has his horse and his Ocarina stolen. He gets them back relatively earlt in the game. Why, then, does he not go about his business from there? I know it sounds mean, but if you'll notice, most of the people who were still in Termina had basically peacefully accepted that they were going to die. Except the postman :lol:.

S

Sturgeon

I don't they'd mind living either :P

And of course they made it for us to play it. Just giving up in the middle of the story would just be stupid, right?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Oh, yep, sure. There's a giant moon gonna squish everything, hundreds of innocents with die, and Link, the Hero of Time, knows who's behind it and how to defeat them. Yup... that sure sounds like the kind of situation someone like Link could/would walk away from. xDDD

Let's face it, Link's too selfless for his own good... or maybe he's just addicted to saving kingdoms, idk. Either way. XDD
Also, he did make a deal with the Happy Mask Salesman, so he probably feels he has to honour that too... but personally I think he'd probably do it regardless of that XDD

I think its because he made a promise to the Happy Mask Salesman. The deal was, if I'm correct, that if Link got his ocarina back, along with Majora's Mask, then the Happy Mask Salesman would return Link back to a normal human. In the beginning, Link only got the Ocarina of Time back, so he didn't meet one end of the promise.

And also that Termina was doomed in three days. He was also the only one who could use the Ocarina of Time to rewind the three days to be able to stop the moon from crashing.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't know, it was probably because Link owed The Happy Salesman Majora's Mask.

Also, he did make a deal with the Happy Mask Salesman, so he probably feels he has to honour that too... but personally I think he'd probably do it regardless of that XDD

I think its because he made a promise to the Happy Mask Salesman.

All of these. I know that the reason I personally chose to complete the quest was because I felt indebted to the Happy Mask Salesman. I felt SO guilty when he took the curse away, and I didn't have the mask. When I found out I could reverse time, and there was a way to get the mask, I was relieved.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I actually kinda get the question, but I think Link's personality makes it not apply to him. As North Apple says, he's selfless. Think about some of the side quests you have the ability to do in game: help baby chicks grow up. Save cows from 'them'. Help a dance troupe choreograph a 'new' dance. If you've only got three days to save the world, you'd think these would not be urgent tasks, but if you complete the game 100%, you have to take all these actions into account. If he's this selfless about the little details, I don't think leaving a major task like "saving the world" undone is even an option for him.

I also think confidence could have something to do with it. It's just speculation, but Link may have been more assured of his ability to defeat Majora than someone else. To quote Tatl:

...Oh! Hey, you were pretty good out there!
Have you done this before or what?

Link's already saved the world in Ocarina of Time. I don't think he should be overconfident, nor do I mean to imply that it wouldn't be challenging or stressful. No matter what it would be an intense experience. But he's already proven himself once. For a metaphor, I watch tennis. When a players is several points down, forced to play a tiebreak, or something like that, it's a tense moment, but the players who have been in that situation before and gotten out of it in theory should have less doubts about it than in the beginning of their career. It's just psychology.

Of course, I think he believed in himself even in OoT, but having past proof can't hurt. Combine this with his personality, as well as other factors already mentioned, then I can't see him giving up halfway through (as by the time he gets Epona he's already defeated two temples.)

M

Mystic Shade

Well, Link did make a deal with the Happy mask saleman about getting majora's mask back. Also, considering Link's typical selfless actions, it's not surprising he would save Termina and it's people from doom. The Moon's impact on Termina might have also affected Hyrule too, despite it being in a seperate dimension. Plus, if Link just left there would be no game to play ;)

Kirino

Tatakae
Link's just a good guy like that. He also made a promise to the HMS. He still had to find Epona too.

I like February Eve take in this thread.

I guess we could have had different experiences and decisions to go ahead, for me it was different factors, as so I think Link had several things pushing him towards giving his best to help Termina. The guilt and desire to pay his debt with the HSM was never as decisive for me, but someone above me stated it was for them, so for their Link taht was part of their drive, Link is pointed with a selfless nature I agree, given the kind of tasks he gets involved into, living each minute, giving his time away for others and rarely for himself.

For me it started as an awkward situation being dragged into the town, it was no the plan. It just happened. Trapped. A place taht seemed familiar and so different at the same time, it got me, therefore got my Link's curiosity. By when you revert time you interacted with some people of the town and it really feels like a second oportunity in itself back to the dawn of the first day. I felt so helpless and ignored as a deku, and I think it must had been hard on the Hero of Time being understimated and feeling far from that point. When the happy salesmask broke the curse it felt like a huge relief, but no only that, it made me feel like i had more of a chance to face the skull kid again.

By the time I recover Epona, I've already decided there are a lot of good people and I am already feeling attached with some of them, so instead of it being a chore I feel strongly and stronngly the desire to carry on and gain the strenght to overcome the next trials. Going away would have stopped for me to be an option - of course is not like the game mechanic leaves you a return to hyrule but I think the concept I have of Link makes me think he just wouldn't turn his back knowing the extension of the danger, maybe is a bit of both things northApple mentiones XD - and i wanted to try my best to see if we could be able to bring a better future... I also had the hope of more of a hint about Navi's whereabouts near the end. =b

It took me years to realise that navi is aside the game completely and the moral is part of it. Being a hero is part of his gentle nature of giving himself even in the middle of a personal and secret quest.

M

Mujura

Okay, seriously? This is LINK we're talking about. Do you think he's just going to stand around and let hundreds of people die? It's just not possible. He's too good of a guy. If you think Link would willingly let anyone get hurt, you haven't ever played a Zelda game. Plus, I don't think that Link can get out until he has saved Termina.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Link can't go back because after you enter the Clock Town Tower the door closes forcing Link to either stay in the Clock Tower as DEKU SCRUB(to put that out) for the rest eternity or complete the HMS' Quest of getting Majora's Mask back from Skull Kid and get on with his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom