• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Why So Young?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I know a lot of people like the story of a boy overcoming feats that seem impossible for a child of that age, let alone become a hero of the land! But why must there be a different link in every game, and every time its a young boy! In OoT I can understand that, you had the introduction to the game, then the 7 year period till he was ready to be the hero of time, a coming of age if you will.

In Twilight Princess he was... lets say mid teens. MM, child. Wind Waker, Clearly the youngest link we had seen up to that point. When LoZ: ALBW was announced the concept art had a more mature Link with determination in his eyes:
original.png

Look at those eyes, now does he look ready to defeat some evil or what?

Then all of a sudden we have a happy young child who seems more willing to play soldiers with his friends than set out on a quest to save the land:
k-bigpic.jpg

This kid is Lucky if he could defeat his frail old grandmother in a sword battle, he looks like he's holding toy weapons

Bottom line we have had three Zelda games with a True more mature Link. The classics are hard to tell considering the quality of the graphics. Now think about this. The fans of LoZ that have been around since at least OoT are in their mid 20s. So tell me why must their Base fans who have stuck around this whole time, keep playing the game as a child? Is it not fair to newer fans of the franchise to play as a Link that can more easily relate to the core fans of the series? Am I just griping to be griping? I think I want a Zelda game that has grown up as I have! With a story arc that's not so sugar coated.... cuz im a big boy now, i can handle this!

I understand the new concept matches the actual in-game model of the ALBW Link.... I'm just saying 3 out of 17 games we have played as a child? I dont know, feels stale! Does anyone agree?

Big Octo

=^)
Wind Waker, Clearly the youngest link we had seen up to that point.

Debatable, based on appearance. I've always thought that he was 12 judging by appearance. Some sources confirm this while others state that he is 9. Honestly, 12 seems like much more of an appropriate age for the tradition on Outset, as it's closer to that boy-to-man state than 9, a number that just seems so random for such a tradition.

To answer your question, well, I can't quite say for sure. I don't really mind what age Link is as long as he can kick some evil behind. He doesn't need to be a mid-teen or full-grown adult to impress me with his skills of swordsmanship.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I agree. I think it'd be refreshing to get an older Link for a change, In most cases, I don't really care between young or old Link's but I agree that it would be a refreshing change.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I don't really mind what age Link is as long as he can kick some evil behind.

this i can agree with, i didnt buy a Game Cube, cuz i was at a stage in life where i just couldnt see myself playing a game like.... that childish looking. Ive recently played it and i will say it has some of the most fun combat in the series as far as 3D games go. The Hero Mode News is exciting cuz the lack of difficulty in WW was my only complaint! But in the end i still felt that Link was still an butt kicking Infant!

Hmmm, I like the idea of incorporating another "adult" Link. Although his perceived age in each game has never bothered me, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised to find a teen, pubescent Link as my character.

I will say that I honestly don't think the target audience is 10 years old, though. Many people of varying ages play Zelda, it wouldn't hurt to have a Link that identifies more with the grown players than the child players, as they get all the self-identifying Link personas.

Link is a symbol. He is the gamers' "link" (yay, puns!) between the real world and the land of Hyrule. Link can do things that would be considered extraordinary feats for other children. He lifts objects several times his own weight, he fights off the most dangerous magical beings in the land, and yet he still maintains his innocence and optimism. Many of us are adults now, we can do things that children can't. We can lift things, we can fight people, but we can also have fun and pretend and embrace childish behavior. Link is a child because, after all, we are all children at heart.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm glad you asked this question to be honest.

Well from a game point of view, Link is young so that he connect more with who's playing, Nintendo has a lot of younger players, so this is a factor in my opinion. A big point would be the idea of it, a young and humble boy overcoming the odds is a big plot point, it allows for more progression of character and it largens the scope of the task ahead.

However, if we go into more of a theory topic and ask why he is that age in terms of in-game wholly, then we have a new topic completely. How come Link is chosen at that age, or of a young age? Is it just a coincidence? well fact is, that most games include a youngish Link, so it's not a coincidence in my eyes. We know that Link is set on his adventure when things start to go wrong. However, we all know that Link is bound to the Triforce, and when an unbalance is present or evil arises, Link will show up (apart from the back story to The Wind Waker).

Maybe it can't be explained and I haven't really looked too much into yet, but if I decide to look more into it or I have an idea then I'll sure to post it.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'd say that none of the games have a really mature Link, the oldest ones looked like no more than a 17 year old to me(oot and TP). And I really don't mind it that much, not even if I'm playing a cartoon character like in tww (which was really a good thing, see below). I think it's kind of what the point is of these games. No matter who you are, if you got the power of courage or something in you, you'll be able to overcome the fears someone else would usually have. So I can understand why Nintendo wouldn't turn Link into a battle hardened adult, it would take away a tiny bit of what Zelda is about.

But then again I can't see how it would hurt to just toughen up the current Links, not turn them into fearless warriors but just as the game progresses give them some more tough features. My personal way of doing it would be to actually make Link weak, scared, a little pathetic and just what we'd call a "total noob" in the heroic business. Then as the game progresses he'd get a more firm grip around his sword, shout a little more during fights, more dedication in his eyes, fearless and a true hero. #yolo

in other words, character growth and development teehee

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
But then again I can't see how it would hurt to just toughen up the current Links, not turn them into fearless warriors but just as the game progresses give them some more tough features. My personal way of doing it would be to actually make Link weak, scared, a little pathetic and just what we'd call a "total noob" in the heroic business. Then as the game progresses he'd get a more firm grip around his sword, shout a little more during fights, more dedication in his eyes, fearless and a true hero.

see here is a great idea, maybe have a game that spans a few years, im not saying a total pause for 7 years like OoT, but yeah he starts out week and afraid of the task put in front of him, but i would love to see him grow up during the game, his kind young eyes slowly turning into the eyes of a worrier, scars, torn tunics, dirt and grime.

what im saying is, as the game progresses show his progression to battle hardened through visuals as well as his....silent attitude LOL!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly I don't know of any people younger than 10 who play Zelda. Most of the people I know who seriously play the game (outside of the Internet) are at least 12 years old. That being said, I also want a grown up Link...at least in his late teens. I don't think we can expect a true adult Link, but late teens isn't a bad expectation considering he's been that age in OoT, TP, and SS.

As for griping for the sake of griping, I don't think you are. There are a ton of people who don't like playing as a kid. Me personally, I don't like the change in concept art for ZeldaBLT; I know the change was to differentiate ALttP Link from ALBW Link, but it makes him look more like a goofball when we know he's going to be a Hero.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Honestly, I like the fact that Link is young. It certainly makes him stick out among the the older, muscle-pumped tough-guy characters in the video game universe. I feel like it makes his feats that much more impressive because he did them as a child or teen. That being said, I would like to see more of the teenage Link in the future, but no older than he was in SS (17 and a half). I really think Link is a character who should always remain young. However, I think it would be cool if we actually see his transformation from a regular villiage boy into a true hero, like what Zorth mentioned. :D

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, I definitely prefer an older Link. Young Link works well enough, but ultimately a more serious and adult (tho he's really like 16) Link works better. I know Toon Links looks better younger, but it can be hard to take youthful appearances as seriously as the older ones. It's only a slight difference, but it's definitely there.

The older Link is simply more relatable. When you think about it, it's hard to imagine a kid not running away crying at half the things Link sees as a child. I also fear people will make younger Link less serious because of that expectation; even though he acts very seriously in OoT and MM. It's simply easier to have an older protagonist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom