• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Should You Get the 3DS?

Nicole

luke is my wife
This is a question I've been wondering about for a while. I understand that Nintendo will eventually stop making games for the original DS, so getting the 3DS will be imminent for me. I've asked a couple people, and they've said the 3DS is generally worth their money. What I don't understand is how $250 handheld with basically no difference other than the 3D graphics and camera is actually worth my money.

I'll just start a pros/cons list, and you can add your own. The point of this is, more or less, to help me decide whether I should get the 3DS, or wait it out.

Pros:

-Enhanced, 3D graphics. Ability to choose "how 3D" you want it.
-Most new games will be made for the 3DS, included the OoT remake.
-It has a dandy little analog stick.
-Has a camera.
-Apparently comes with an SD card (?).

Cons:

-Practically the same as the DS.
-Has a short battery life.

Although the list of "pros" outnumber my list of "cons," the fact that the 3DS is so similar to anything in the DS family pretty much turns me off.

So what do you think? Will you be a getting a 3DS? If so, why is it worth your money? If not, why aren't you getting one?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I won't be getting one because I like to wait a year or two, at least until all the excitement dies down so I don't have to wait in a crowded store filled with many people who are there for the same thing. Because that annoys me. At least waiting in that line does, anyway.

That, and I simply don't have the money to spare right now.

But, as for whether it'll be worth my money or not, hmmm... Well, I'd have to say yes, because anything that allows for a portable Ocarina of Time is worth it to me, considering how awesome that game is. I'd buy a 3DS for that reason alone.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
Same as Azure Sage. The only reason I want the 3DS is to play Orcarina of Time. End of story. I don't really care much about the rest, at least for now. Although the short battery life thing pisses me off.

Hanyou

didn't build that
What I don't understand is how $250 handheld with basically no difference other than the 3D graphics and camera is actually worth my money.

Um...how is there "no difference?" It has pretty much what the Game Boy Advance offered over the Game Boy Color--enhanced functionality, better hardware (it's capable of rendering much more--Pilotwings, the game I own, looks like it could be at the very least on the Gamecube), more features, and, of course, newer games. Yes, it still has two screens and a touch screen, but there's no reason to remove those just for the sake of being different.

To say it's "practically the same as a DS" is just really vague, and I can't get a sense of what your real objections to the system are. The better hardware is a huge upgrade--it means larger games, more detailed graphics, more on-screen NPCs, larger draw distance (seriously, compare the recently-released Okamiden for the DS to Pilotwings--the size of the areas is like night and day), etc. Not to mention online functionality like Netflix and whatnot.

Is it worth the money? Not yet, in my opinion. There isn't sufficient software to justify the purchase. However, I bought mine on the promise of new games later in the year, and the price won't be dropping any time soon, so it's not exactly an unjustified purchase either. If you have the money, snatch one up now--there's no real reason not to if you'll get one eventually.

By the way, it does come with an SD card. The battery life problem can also be rectified, as the battery is easily replaceable and I imagine the market will be flooded with better batteries (there are already a couple).

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
There is one thing all must understand when thinking or talking about the 3DS. The 3DS is not just another DS upgrade like the DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL were. It is a new console (handheld).

There is also one main pro that you missed out - the 3DS has a Virtual Console for the handheld games. This alone can be a big enough reason for me to buy the 3DS. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm aiming for getting one around summer time, after E3 this year when I hear more news on this.

One con some people have been discussing lately is the health issue of the 3DS. Apparently, many people bought it became of the 3D effects that it came with, but these 3D effects can make people sick, and I think this is mentally, as in headaches and such. People have been saying that you need to hold the 3DS in a particular way to get the 3D effects, and that playing while lying down doesn't really give you the best 3D effects. It has also been warned that children under 6 are advised against playing a 3DS in 3D mode, as at that age, eye development is still at a crucial point, and looking at the the 3D effects for too long can mess with their eyes and brains.

I'm not all the much worried about the battery issue, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will upgrade the 3DS soon based on criticism they have received, battery life being one of them. There do seem to be many cons, but I feel that the Pros have a stronger impact on me, and I really do want to get a 3DS.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Pretty much what Hanyou said. That and the fact that unless you have tried one it is unfair to compare it to anything else. The 3DS is slightly less powerful than the Wii, and it shows. I didn't buy Pilotwings or Steel Diver as they were low on content, But I did buy Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and Ridge Racer. The 3D effects are used very well in both, and the game looks much smoother than the DS could ever pull off.

Aside from the same basic shape and having dual screens with one being a touch screen, that is about where it ends with similarities to the DS. It has the circle pad which helps out a lot with older DS games like Kingdom Hearts and the recent Okamiden. But it feels so natural and much better done than the PSP's analog nub. Obviously the 3D is here as well as many other features such as SpotPass and StreetPass which add much more seeing as you can download updates or swap data with anyone without having to do anything yourself.

While I applaud your efforts I must say get one or use a friends before you go off comparing the DS to the 3DS. Once you have used one you won't be so quick to say the two are so similar.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm not exactly overtly thrilled with the 3D effects. They've been severely overhyped. They require you to hold the 3DS in a very specific "sweet spot" which depends on the position, shape, and size of your own eyes in order to even properly see the 3D effect. But Nintendo usually improves on its gimmicks eventually. We can expect the second or third version of the 3DS to be more efficient.
DESPITE THIS, I'm still getting one anyway as soon as I'm able. I have a number of reasons: I'm interested in some of the games that are coming out on it, particularly OoT 3D, my DS lite is kind of old and falling apart, I need a second system for self-pokemon trading (yes it works with 3DS to DS), it'll have better graphics even without the 3D turned on, and I've been behind on the Nintendo systems anyway.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
Well, I was playing it at Gamestop and my jaw dropped. The 3D graphicd are staggering!!! I am going to wait until OoT comes out and that game plus the graphics are enough to buy it in my opinion.

T

Twili

You know my main problem is that it's really small, I want to at leat wait until they come out with a 3DS XL.

nintendo3ds_concepts.jpg

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Someone correct if I'm wrong but doesn't the DSi/XL have a VC on it also.

I ask because I'm not sure if Im' going to get the 3DS or a DSi/XL.

My reasons for getting 1 is pretty much the same as everyone's except for te part about OoT I think it's been reused to many times.

Cabbage

Supreme Vegetable Ruler
I'm not a big fan of the new 3ds. I really don't plan on getting it, even for ocarina of time. (Well, that's what I thought before I got the nintendo ds.) But, anyways, I have lots of eye problems. I know you can turn the 3D effect off, but I'm not so good with self control. And before ya know it, they'll be coming out with something like that 3DS XL Twili mentioned. Plus, it's not like I have that extra $249 to spend. But that's just my opinion.
Plus, I was watching a video on the 3DS, and it said they can cause anal leakage. (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom