• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Why People Don't Like It That Much?

What I mean is that most Zelda fans hold LttP as a very good game. And that's it. From my point of view, and careless how much times I play through it, this game is WAY beyond just being a very good game. I take this feeling of "underaprecciating" (notice it's different from "underrated", as everybody knows this game is a masterpiece) from self experience through all these years participatin in Zelda forums all over the net. I think people just didn't get why it's so good, like in the first time many have played MM, and just missed it's point completely. Well, of course I'm not trying to force you guys to change your tastes or anything like that, I'm just suggesting you to, like me, try to understand why this game is beyond quality.

And of course I know I'm not the only guy in the earth to really appreciate LttP! :lol:
Hey, some of you have already expressed your fandom for LttP :xd:

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
ALttP is my favorite Zelda of all time. But I think it's more of a generational thing. It was the junk in the early 90s. (in a good way ;)) OoT pretty much overshadowed ALttP upon release though.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I am playing it for the first time, and I love it :D A little bit ago I defeated Agahnim (sp?) and was sent to the Dark World, so however far into the game that is, that's how far I am. I saw another thread about LttP regarding final death count on their first time playing, and many people's were in triple digits. That told me right away that it would be a challenging game, and it's proven to be that so far .. as of now I'm at 14, but I'm guessing there are 8 more dungeons (7 maidens + the final dungeon) so I expect that death total to rise lol.

At any rate, my only regret about ALttP is that I've waited this long to finally play it :)

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well, I kind of understand what the OP meant with "underappreciated": Not many people talk about the game, and when it comes to peoples' favourites, mostly newer games are mentioned. And like it's been said before, I think it's because many of the modern-day Zelda fans just haven't played it yet. Most people here on the forums are much younger than I am, and their first Zelda game was probably OoT, MM, WW or even TP, which is understandable because aLttP was released in 1991, and I guess that the majority of the forum members weren't even born back then.
For me, it was the first Zelda game I played and it's still my favourite alongside Majora's Mask. But younger people have been used to 3D gaming from the beginning, so I can understand why they don't regard aLttP as something special. Back then games were different, the emphasis wasn't on hi-graphics, orchestrated music and deep story with huge FMVs, but rather on gameplay. Those first-mentioned elements are missing in aLttP, and I don't care because I grew up with it, but I can understand why it might feel strange to or even repel younger players who aren't familiar with the absence of such things.

Kybyrian

I don't know where you got this idea from, but I see a heck of a lot of people who really love A Link to the Past. I know that our webmaster Mases loves the game, and as does much of the other staff and a lot of the other members that I talk to around here. There have been select few people who have said that they don't like the game, and that's mainly the ones that played the modern Zelda games first. They don't appreciate the game quite as much as those that started around it. Then there are the vast amount of people who haven't even played the game. Regardless of how liked it is, at least how I see, there are a whole lot of people that never hear of it and haven't played it.

Most of the people that do play it, however, seem to really enjoy the game. Most of the people I've talked to about the game see it as an awesome game and wish there were more like it, myself included. A Link to the Past was a very good game in many ways. The story was great, the gameplay was great, and I happened to really like the graphics style. It's something that we still haven't seen in anything but that game yet. I think that the enemies looked good and it was a nice step up from complete and total 2D. The game had a lot of perks, and those happen to be too many to list. It was just a very enjoyable game and I feel that there are a lot of people who like it. I don't quite see how you get the idea that there are a lot of people that don't like. Most that play the game love it. The rest usually haven't played the game or for some reason didn't like it, and there are few who just plain don't like it.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
Oh man. A Link to the Past is the greatest Zelda game there is. What are you talking about it being under-appreciated.

athenian200 said:
So, most of the other games had a gimmick for which they stand out. The ones that don't are:

ALttP
OoX

Man, what are you talking about? Are we forgetting that ALttP brought about the Light World/Dark World?

A Link to the Past brought much of the Zelda we love today to the table. The Master Sword, bottles, the hookshot, and so much more. A Link to the Past helped shape how Zelda games were done. A Link to the Past has always been, and likely always will be, my favorite Zelda game.

T

The_man

I firmly believe that with out alttp the franchise that we all know and love so dearly would not be what it is today. I know that it's not as flashy as the last decades installments, but as far as SNES, alttp is as good as it gets. There is just a certain feel i get when i pull out alttp, blow the cartridge, and slap it in the Snes. I'm sure not every zelda fan gets the same sense of nestalgia as i do, but roots are important

P

Pocodudeface

Your wrong there, I for one do Love ALttP. I have beat it 100% and it's pretty much my favorite game.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Man, what are you talking about? Are we forgetting that ALttP brought about the Light World/Dark World?

A Link to the Past brought much of the Zelda we love today to the table. The Master Sword, bottles, the hookshot, and so much more. A Link to the Past helped shape how Zelda games were done. A Link to the Past has always been, and likely always will be, my favorite Zelda game.

But that's exactly my point. So many later Zelda games have taken what was started in ALttP and expanded on it, that the original often doesn't stand out.

Light World/Dark World was started in ALttP, but we got Adult/Child in OoT, Past/Future in OoA, Twilight Realm in TP, and the Minish World in MC. So it did start the trend, yes, but it's no longer unique for it.

I think that ALttP started a lot of things, like bottles, Cuccos, the Master Sword, more detailed NPC interaction, Heart Pieces, and more. It just doesn't stand out anymore, because those things are now in other games. Which is really a testament to how good it is... that many games since have emulated and expanded upon the best parts of its formula.

Linksister82

Setterwind
I love this game and I know why too. It is mainly because it is the only game that my grandmother took part in as well. When I first started playing it, I borrowed a strategy guide from a friend and she read it to me telling me where to go and she really got into the game with me. We were both obsessed with it lol It was totally awesome. I kinda miss that now.

I'm not sure about that dude. LttP is the best zelda game ( not my fav but the best ) any many many MANY people think it's the best and it's their favorites. Out of the 4 people I know who play zelda IRL. 3 of them like LttP the most.

D

DisorientedLink

Lttp

:) Zelda : A link to the past :) is the best game ever made. Everything that can be said about this game (in a positive way) has already been said on this thread. So im not gonna rip anyone off by repeating it. I'm playing it on an emu right now on my computer as I write this. this will make my 11th play through on 4 different systems including the emu on my HTC EVO smart phone:cool: since my grandmother bought me the game the day it came out when I was 5. Its the only game that makes me feel like I just stepped into a time machine every time I play it.
So as you can tell I regard this game above any. Kids that weren't born of the 2d generation when duck hunt was still an arcade game aren't going to be able to fully grasp the impact that LTTP had on the gaming world. So it is my opinion that when it comes to being under appreciated that its all in who you ask and knowing their background and what generation their from before you ask them.
Time to get back to pwning turtle rock...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom