• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why OoT COULD NOT Have Started the Imprisoning War

And I don't think Nintendo has said that about the backstories. Ever. In fact, I believe they have implied the opposite. Anyone have a quote?

TSA Camp Hyrule: A Link to the Past sufferred a bunch of changes from it's Japanese counterpart, Triforce of the Gods. One example is the Japanese manual says the Master Sword was forged before the Imprisoning War, where in the US version it says during the Imprisoning War. Which version is usually more accurate for the games and manuals and why are such big discrepancies made?

Bill Trinen: Uh-oh! Zelda fanatic on the loose! We actually went back and introduced some consistencies to the LttP text on Game Boy Advance.
The question about the Master Sword is a tough one. Legends are things that are passed down over time. In the telling, certain details tend to... change.

August 14th, 2003

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
TSA Camp Hyrule: A Link to the Past sufferred a bunch of changes from it's Japanese counterpart, Triforce of the Gods. One example is the Japanese manual says the Master Sword was forged before the Imprisoning War, where in the US version it says during the Imprisoning War. Which version is usually more accurate for the games and manuals and why are such big discrepancies made?

Bill Trinen: Uh-oh! Zelda fanatic on the loose! We actually went back and introduced some consistencies to the LttP text on Game Boy Advance.
The question about the Master Sword is a tough one. Legends are things that are passed down over time. In the telling, certain details tend to... change.

August 14th, 2003

1: That's why I'm using the Japanese manual. 2: NOA mostly added the things cuz either they felt like it, or they didn't want parents *****ing (Like implying the creation story is just a myth),. 3: You'd be ****ing suprised just how consistent the MS has been over the course of the series with the exception of OoX. I don't think anything about the Master Sword has been truely contradicted, hell, the ALttP manual actually supports the notion the first wielder of the MS is Hylia. FYI, the Sages. 4: the general consensus is that the Japanese ALttP manual is the canon version, whilst the most canonical port is ALttP&FS on GBA, which not only used a more correct translation but also used features from the GBC games and inspired most of ALBW's features, like Rupee Rocks.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Wait, that was a quote? THEN USE QUOTATIONS! Sorry. But again he's referring to the MS which does have a consistent lore to it sans OoX, and could be alluding in a dramatic way how the "Legend" of ALttP was changed from NOJ to NOA... and is he from NOA? NVM, the point is I doubt that oral transmission would be the sole form of transmission, esp amongst the Sages. I don't really see how the details about historical events could change among the Wisest of the wise (Sages), esp when theres a better answer than what amounts to Nintendo's version of ignoring something because they can.

Unless Hylians are ****ing idiots, if that's what you are implying.

Last edited:
1. I'm quite sure the format of my post made it clear it was part of an interview, making it, for all intents and purposes, a quote.

2. I don't think the backstory is a direct account of the Sages. The manual of ALttp makes it clear the backstory is an amalgam of various legends and sources, including Hylian texts, the Book of Mudora, and oral tradition. The same manual (a source I'm sure you'll have an issue with) states "Their descendants settled in various parts of the world and passed on their knowledge and magical lore to all people. But in its passing, the lore was often distorted or lost altogether." <--there's some quotations for ya.

3. a source probably more to your liking, the actual SNES intro, states "Long ago, in the beautiful kingdom of Hyrule surrounded by mountains and forests... legends told of an omnipotent and omniscient Golden Power that resided in a hidden land. Many people aggressively sought to enter the hidden Golden Land... But no one ever returned.
One day evil power began to flow from the Golden Land... So the King commanded seven wise men to seal the gate to the Land of the Golden Power.
That seal should have remained for all time...
...But, when these events were obscured by the mists of time and became legend..."
(I think that last part is pertinent)

So no, I don't think Hylians are idiots, but I do think that depending on exactly how much time passes between Oot and ALttP, a LOT of info could have been lost. Again, my own personal opinion which is neither more or less valid that anyone else's.

For whatever reason, you are very obstinate and dismissive of other people's opinions. It is okay for people to have different rationalizations for the various inconsistencies. The actual reason for inconsistencies is the natural outcome of making a series over a 25 year span, with different teams and retconning certain events for the good of the current game. Ultimately, however, the retcons are Nintendo's to make.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
1: You used the NOA manual. The Japanese manual says nothing about the stories being distorted by the descendants. It, as translated from my source, says "It is said that they passed on their magic and prophecies to their descendants, who rooted themselves in all parts of the world." Also, the Book of Mudora being an encyclopedia was a complete *** pull by NOA, and is never mentioned in the NOJ manual. Really, it's probly just a translator guide. And the fact it gives the events, then states it became legend could imply that "This is the factual history, but it got screwed up", similar to how OoT's events "Became Legend" in WW. I could be wrong, I really could. About it being a direct account, the use of "We" or "I" is at least interesting to note, as first and second person terms. And even though the SNES version's canon status is mostly dismissed to me in favor of the GBA port due to NOA's meddling and direct distortion/lies, it's also in the GBA version. I'm just a little bit skeptical these are the only real inconsistencies I've been able to spot. And yes, the retcons are Nintendo's to make, but only when they cement it into a game. This is actually a good thing and gives it more pliability and openness to interpretation and debate. The point of my crusade is not to cement this fan made timeline, but to hopefully point out to Nintendo something:

They've actually been astonishingly pretty damn good at maintaining internal consistency when Capcom's not involved, w/o any sort of solid timeline after WW, so they should probly just keep on as they've been keeping on before HH.

Last edited:
Agreed, I always get a bit worried when they contract games out. The canon debate for Hyrule Warriors will haunt us for years.

I think so. I only mentioned HW to illustrate that I agree with you about the "co-produced" games, not to derail the thread. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Ok. Sooo... All I was saying is that the Capcom games, with the exception of FS due to FSA implicitly being a direct sequel (And I'll admit it may not be much depending on how you look at it) Generally have or have at one point had large debate over timeline placement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom