• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Not Ganondorf?

zants follower

underling of the dark god
Really, I can't see why everyone is saying that Ganondorf is overused so they don't want him as the main villain. Hes only appeared in three games (mentioned in alttp and fsa, but he didn't appear). That's the same amount as Vaati and no one says that he's overused! Ganondorf is different in all of his games too. In OoT, he's just some ruthless wannabe usurper king who eventually takes over. In WW he's a (fat) man with a dark personality who has obviously gone insane from being locked away for a long period of time (with chips?) and is intent on bringing what was for a short time his kingdom back into the known world, and in TP he's a cold shell of a man, hiding behind some awesome guy with a fish helmet who would've made a much better main villain, but it had been 4 years since his last appearance and Nintendo needed to keep their copyright, who is bent on his revenge, bringing what was once his kingdom down with him. Those don't even really sound like the same person (to me) and he has only appeared these three times. How is that overusing him? Even Vaati keeps the same character. A pointless flying blob of... something... with no personality other than cruelty. BORING!

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Most people don't make such a distinction between Ganondorf and Ganon. They're almost always the same entity. However I agree with you. If Link does not fight Ganondorf or Ganon, he will fight some other evil entity that is bent on destroying/conquering the world. The only real difference is the name and graphical design. Ganondorf has a certain amount of majesty due to his amount of appearances, and to me, he's welcome back any number of times.

Ganondork

goo
Untrue. He appears in the first and second and in Alttp (all of which in a pig-like form) then after you defeated both main bosses in the oracle games, he was a hidden boss. In Ocarina of Time he was there, he was there in WW and in TP, so that is... 7 times. As for the Ganon and Ganondorf deal, they are the same peson, but a simple name difference.

zants follower

and a simple... size difference, voice difference, strength difference, face difference, weapon difference, fighting style difference, horn-having difference, color difference, and species difference. Plus, ganon's the main villain. Name one Nintendo owned game that doesn't have a main villain.
Mario-bowser,
metroid-ridely,
kirby-dedede,
DK-k'rool,
starfox-andros,
and zelda-ganon.
Even non-nintendo series such as
sonic-eggman,
megaman-wiley
half life-the combine (they were technically in the first game controlling the nihilanth),
portal-GLaDOS (portal 2 is almost out, so it's a series),
halo-the covenant,
crysis-those aliens (crysis 2 is almost out),
Gears of War-the swarm (or was it horde?)
resident evil-wesker
the sims-death (it's hilarious)
and the list goes on

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
Ganondorf is human, Ganon is a Pig humanoid. Ok, they use different weapons, Link doesn't have the megaton hammer in each game. Weaponry is so minute, other enemies operate differently in each game, too. A moblin for instance, in the old games fired projectiles, WW ones used a staff-like object. They also changed colors, like Ganondorf has. In Oot he was gray, in TP he was green. Now for size, different time, he can age, become weaker as he is imprisoned, that sort of stuff.

zants follower

I mean the difference between ganon and ganondorf... and the moblins used pikes in WW. It's supposed to be a one-pointed trident showing that they are little ganons

Ganondork

goo
I am too, I just use the design of other enemies to help prove my point. I'm not trying to attack your idea, but I adore Ganondorf and the Gerudos and thoroughly believe Ganon and Ganondorf are the same people. OH! Here's one defense for my case, in the pig battle part of TP it said "Beast Ganon" but the swordfight said "Ganondorf"

zants follower

as in they are two different forms. I'm saying that a fight with ganon and a fight with ganondorf are different, so they are technically different bosses. As you said, they even have different titles for their battles. I know that they are the same person, and I know you fight ganon a lot, so you are technically fighting ganondorf a lot, but they are different types of bosses. The ganon boss is used alot, not the ganondorf boss. I'm saying this as in gameplay, not story.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I totally understand you. I don't think Ganondorf or even Ganon together are being overused. But, bringing him in a game like this wouldn't really would because OoT talks about his origins, and his game takes place before OoT (probably LONG before OoT), so bringing him would theoretically by impossible.

Ganondork

goo
I suppose like that, it's true. But people don't look at it like that, and they get sick of him, you can only have a swordfight the same way so many times before people say "screw it, Imma go play Black Ops instead" and there goes half your audience.

Ganondorf and Ganon are the same person. Yes, technically they are often used as different names for different forms, but the person is the same. It's the same villain. To take it further, in SEVERAL GAMES NOW they have referred to him by both. A good example is The Wind Waker in which his name is Ganondorf ("Beast Ganon" doesn't even appear in the game, unless you count Puppet Ganon, which is a puppet not actually a form of Ganondorf), but he is still referred to as "Ganon" by others and by himself as a nickname; a shortened version of Ganondorf. Even in the English translation of the ALttP manual he's referred to as Ganondorf, even though he only appears in pig-form in that game.

Thus the total number of games Ganon appears in is 8... not counting FS or FSA.

At any rate, I don't think the main reason for people talking about Ganondorf not being in Skyward Sword has anything to do with him being overused. I mean, it might be a reason for some but I doubt it is for the majority. I know it isn't for me. I like Ganon a lot and he is the series' main villain. They make him unique enough every time IMO, but I still like to see an occasional different villain. Still, that has nothing to do with my thoughts on him appearing in Skyward Sword.

In Skyward Sword, with the confirmed facts, it is basically impossible for him to appear. Skyward Sword is confirmed as a prequel to Ocarina of Time, and the tidbits we know about its plot dictate that it has to be a LONG TIME before OoT, not a short time. OoT was Ganondorf's origins, and there was no indication to think that he was more than 30-40 years old. Means he wasn't born yet during the time that Skyward Sword takes place.

Now if Nintendo wanted to work in Ganondorf in, they can. Time travel, ancestor, etc. Most of their options would be blatantly bad storytelling though, and I don't think they'd make that mistake. I'm also 90% sure the villain we see will actually be stronger than Ganondorf, since SOMETHING has to force the Skyward Sword to downgrade into the Master Sword. Perhaps it is an ancestor of Ganon, but it won't be Ganon himself.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Really, I can't see why everyone is saying that Ganondorf is overused so they don't want him as the main villain. Hes only appeared in three games (mentioned in alttp and fsa, but he didn't appear).

Ganon/dorf has appeared in OoT, ALTTP, FSA, OoS/OoA, WW, LoZ and I think AoL. I'm not really sure why you think he has only appeared in three games. I suggest that if you are going to post a thread with statements like that then you should do the research before making false statements. As for the actual topic of the thread, I agree that I would have no problem with Ganon/dorf being used in this game but I would also have no problem with Vaati or even a completely new villain. We will just have to wait and see what's in store, I guess.

zants follower

It won't be the same way though... It's not just button mashing anymore... wow... super ninja'd

Ganondork

goo
I suggest that if you are going to post a thread with statements like that then you should do the research before making false statements.

Now Zemen, everything he said is no 100% true, HOWEVER it isn't right to be rude like that to him. We all make mistakes, I've made mistakes, you've made mistakes, people viewing this comment has made mistakes. It just makes us human, and we shouldn't put people down for the things they do wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom