• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why No Gerudo in TP? Now Answered!

they are in 4SA after tp i think it is they are hiding from the hordes of Moblins (sorry if i am wrong with there name) or are deeper into the desert staying away from the hordes

F

Flare24

In TP you do only go too the dessert and the prison. It's very possible that TP Link never goes anywhere near the Gerudo Fortress at all or at least where it should be.

D

Deku Nut

Sorry Im new here and this is the first thread ive posted in but just a possibility of why the gerudo died out. Assuming in Ocarina when link went back to his own time Ganon never existed because he would be stuck in the sacred realm. He would never have made an alliance to the King which would keep the gerudo in war. I have read on other Zelda websites that the war was of the Zoras attacking the Hylians and the Gorons against the Gerudo but mostly that everyone was at war. The gerudo were at war with everyone including the hylians, but the gerudo are a mostly female race with only 1 male being born every 100 years. If you read thing like Zelda wiki you will find that gerudo's either 1.all mate with the one male, which would lead to mutation and family relations not suitable for a game that children can play. 2. They mate magically, however very few gerudo's show magic talent the exceptions Ganon and Twinrova etc, so that is unlikely. 3. They take Hylian boyfriends this is the most likely option with the most evidence, such as why they held the workers in OoT. ( It is a theory that Malon is half gerudo because of her hair and half Hylian because of her ears ) So assuming they take Hylian boyfreinds then during the war with the Hylians they would not be able to take boyfreinds leading to their eventual extinction. I have never played 4 swords so if they are in that I would again say 'eventual extinction' because they may have captured other males or mated with their king etc. This is just a theory, it is what i believe happend.

Welcome to ZD, Deku Nut! Hope you will have a good time here!

Originally Posted by Deku Nut

Sorry Im new here and this is the first thread ive posted in but just a possibility of why the gerudo died out. Assuming in Ocarina when link went back to his own time Ganon never existed because he would be stuck in the sacred realm. He would never have made an alliance to the King which would keep the gerudo in war.

Since the timeline Link returns to is the Child Timeline, I assume that your post treats that timelne. Then, I can easily tell you that the Gerudo did not die out. They are absent in TP, but they are back again in Four Swords Adventures. The book "Hyrule Historia" (which, in case you have not heard of it yet, is kind of the ultimage guide to Zelda, where the timeline and pretty much everything is described) says that the relationship with Hyrule and the Gerudo became good again by the time of FSA, explaining why the tribe is "good" in FSA.

Moreover, Ganondorf was not stuck in the Sacred Realm on the CT. Link was sent back to a time before he originally drew the Master Sword. Ganondorf would then still be in a position to negotiate with the king. However, he was sentenced to death and was to be executed in the back story of Twilight Princess. Ganondorf was, however, sealed in some place on the Adult Timeline, and in some place on the Downfall Timeline (before he got sealed in the Dark World, during what is known as the "Seal War/Imprisoning War").

Nevertheless, the Gerudo are not seen on the other two timelines. It is possible to think that they disappeared on the Adult Timeline because they were unable to survive after the flood. However, their fate on the Downfall Timeline is left in the dark.

/Blue Window

B

Beefcake

The Gerudo Desert is in TP maybe your right and they fled but, flee their own country cuz ganondorf left? I guess, but I don't think that happened

That's why I think they were forced out. It would be easy without Ganondorf there. You wouldn't let the people stay if they their leader was trying to betray your country.

This what ShiKage on Zelda Informer have translated from the Historia about the FSA Gerudo.

Many hundreds of years passed since Ganondorf's defeat. The relationship between the Gerudo tribe and the kingdom of Hyrule was restored and peace returned.

/Blue Window

T

TheGroosenator

When you think about it, there really is a gerudo in TP, because Ganon/ Ganondorf is a gerudo. He just isn't in the desert. How come TP is on the child timeline and WW, PH, and ST are on the adult timeline, when Link is an adult in TP and a kid in WW, PH, and ST? Or does the "age" of Link have nothing to do with it? I don't really study the timeline or anything. It's too confusing...

Originally Posted by TheGroosenator

When you think about it, there really is a gerudo in TP, because Ganon/ Ganondorf is a gerudo. He just isn't in the desert. How come TP is on the child timeline and WW, PH, and ST are on the adult timeline, when Link is an adult in TP and a kid in WW, PH, and ST? Or does the "age" of Link have nothing to do with it? I don't really study the timeline or anything. It's too confusing...

Ganondorf is a Gerudo, that is correct. However, he is just Ganondorf from OoT that has come back. No Gerudo society can be seen existing in TP, whereas there is one in FSA.

I will try to explain some basic timeline mechanics to you, but I warn you that it might sound confusing. At the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back in time, remember? When Zelda sends Link back in time, he becomes a kid again. The strange thing about this is that Link, now a child again, exists on another timeline, different from the one in which he defeated Ganondorf. Thus, there are two timelines: One in which Link slept for seven years, awakened the Sages and defeated Ganondorf as an adult (the Adult Timeline) and one in which the young Link and Zelda stop Ganondorf from entering the Sacred Realm (the Child Timeline).

Now, there is a third timeline. This timeline seems to be a "what if"-story, that takes place if adult Link from OoT loses against Ganondorf. Ganondorf then ables to complete the Triforce, but the Sages manage to seal him anyway. Later, the Imprisoning War from AlttP takes place (this is the Downfall/Decline Timeline).

/Blue Window

D

Deku Nut

Oh sorry never played FSA Im just a total OoT dweeb, thanks for the clearing up Blue Widow or as Nicknamed by Deku Nut (myself) BW or BWspider!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'd like to point out the the Gerudos are a nomadic tribe, which means they roam quite often. The time between OoT and TP is supposedly 100 years or so (unless I'm mixing that up with some other placement). That would've given them plenty of time to either run out of resources and move on, or simply rove to a different location. Then again, when we go to TP's Gerudo Desert a pair Bulbins by a campfire is watching over the entrance to a massive structure, and still moving forward we find an entire horde of Bulbins and tents where they made camp. This also insinuates that the Gerudos were overrun and killed, most likely. Arbiter's Grounds might very well have been the Gerudo Fortress, but was modified into a prison.

Just food for thought.

I'd like to point out the the Gerudos are a nomadic tribe, which means they roam quite often. The time between OoT and TP is supposedly 100 years or so (unless I'm mixing that up with some other placement). That would've given them plenty of time to either run out of resources and move on, or simply rove to a different location. Then again, when we go to TP's Gerudo Desert a pair Bulbins by a campfire is watching over the entrance to a massive structure, and still moving forward we find an entire horde of Bulbins and tents where they made camp. This also insinuates that the Gerudos were overrun and killed, most likely. Arbiter's Grounds might very well have been the Gerudo Fortress, but was modified into a prison.

Just food for thought.

This is a video game, and I'm probably reading too far into things, but do you think it might be possible that intermixing with Hylians occurred over that time? In Twilight Princess there are two characters whose appearance strongly suggest Gerudo ancestry - Telma and the Fortune-Teller (also theorized to be connected to the Sheikah). These characters, at least Telma, have tan skin complexion, and the signature red hair of the Gerudo. Keep in mind that it is also mentioned in Ocarina of Time via Gossip Stone that Gerudo females leave the desert to search for mates. There may have been a higher rate of this post-OoT/pre-TP. This may have occurred at such a fast rate that the Gerudo either a.) became indistinguishable from the Hylians or b.) mated outside of the race to the point where very few Gerudo remained, and simply died out.

I find it hard to believe that the Gerudo were simply wiped out by Bulbin (despite what TP might suggest), seeing as how Link is able to dispatch an army of them single-handedly. Not only this but the Gerudo are highly adept fighters. Perhaps there were so little of them remaining after all. For if there were a sizable amount, I'm sure they'd have fended off the Bulbin. And to be honest, it doesn't appear to me that the Gerudo disappearance occured recently. If they disappeared (or whatever you want to call it), it is safe to assume that such an event must have occured over a long period of time. Another possibility is they just wandered off somewhere, as Thareous' theory suggests. But given the fact that there was a huge fortress and a massive collossus in the desert (OoT), they appeared to be pretty settled, but who knows? Maybe they left due lack of resources, or what have you. Maybe they were simply in another part of the desert. At the end of the day, Nintendo just didn't include them in the game. :/

Also, I wonder if any males were born into the Gerudo during the unknown period of time between OoT and TP.

K

Kprizzy

what i think happend is that after ganondorf was captured and later executed, the hylians didnt trust the Gerudo instead of finishing the treaty. over time the gerudo gained the hylians trust and maybe they made another treaty to be part of hyrule.

what i would like to bring up is another theory. i dont know if anyone else posted a thread like this but: what do you guys think about the possability of the gerudo and the sheikah having a common ancestor? they both have darker skin in games that happen farther in the past (SS and OoT). just a thought...

Kudos & Questions

Okay some people are over looking how the new timeline answers a lot of things besides game placement. I' going to go over one thing (kinda two) it answers. People have always wondered why the Gerudos or Gerudo valley doesn't really appear on TP. We now have an answer. On the timeline it list The Hyrule Unification War taking place before OoT. We can only assume this is a war between the Gerudos and other inhabits of the desert against Hyrule who wants to make their land apart of Hyrule. This also explains why Gannondorf is meeting with the King at the beginning of OoT and why you can go to Gerudo Desert. Gannon was sighing a peace treaty ending the war and making his land apart of Hyrule (Even though he planned on backstabbing them later on).
Also on a quick note this explains the war that Link's mother was running from in the back story of OoT.

I think this is an excellent point! I love what you've uncovered about the war and treaty. This would make a gnarly plot structure. I would totally play a game. Everything you said about the government plans and treaties and the reason Ganondorf was there makes sense. He's the self proclaimed "king" of thieves :ganondorf: so maybe the two kings were meeting on the grounds of forging peace (again even tho Ganondorf tricked him). In WW he talks about his Gerudo people lovingly, the way a kig would, and explains about the hardships they've faced. It shows the animosity he has toward the "priveledged" Hyruleans who live in better climates and worship the same gods who have treated the gerudo so unfairly. In MM the people are pirates. In SS we see the sandsea that dried up. Maybe the sea came back and disappeared yet again when the Gerduo inhabited the Lanayru land (or it's possible that they were there since the SS era) and this is why he hates them. Again, he talks in WW, and it's rumored now that Hyrule Hystoria is out that the age was a fight between the Gerudo and the Hyruleans over land. Many stories are similar to this in history and midieval fiction: Nomadic tribes trying to take land from kingdoms.

:triforce: Now I have a question about A Link to the Past's storyline: :triforce:

Ganondorf apparently found the Golden Land and was able to get to the triforce first right? And he turned it into a Dark Realm/world. Was this place he found the Golden Land found within the desert? Or did he find the Sacred Realm? Did this have anything to do with the door in Lanayru desert? I'm confused now that this timeline is out.

big zelda timeline.jpg

what i would like to bring up is another theory. i dont know if anyone else posted a thread like this but: what do you guys think about the possability of the gerudo and the sheikah having a common ancestor? they both have darker skin in games that happen farther in the past (SS and OoT). just a thought...

YES! Please read and join in my conversation thread HERE. Not too many have responded to my post but you will find dozens of cross-overs in the links I put up (there just too many for me to repost them here). It's a lot of good resources on the subject gathered into one thread. Add your two cents if you come across anything cool when you read it. Thanks! :cucco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom