• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Navi and Tatl Can't Heal.

Well, I'll give serious a try first. Healing fairies are normally found in groups at fountains, also where great fairies (who also have the power to heal you) are found. Healing fairies that are not found in fountains are normally just a single stray fairy under a rock or something. In MM we find out that great fairies can be broken into small fairies. Now PERHAPS it's possible that the healing fairies are simply pieces of great fairies and the fairy fountains you find with numerous healing fairies were once great fairy fountains. This theory shouldn't work as the stray fairies look very different in Termina than healing fairies but everything in Termina is all wonky so let's just overlook that for a second. Besides great fairies have changed in appearance a few times so let's roll with looks don't matter. Now the companion fairies could be like great fairy children who must grow into great fairies or be blessed in some way (like accompanying a great hero or something meaning Navi may have left link in OoT to go get her own great fairy fountain and give links descendants a bigger wallet or something). As for Tatl I just don't wanna talk about Termina until I find the connection or lack thereof it has with Lorule first so I'm gonna stop there. But then again maybe Companion fairies do just constantly heal they're owner (or partner?) and that's the cause of Kokiri's eternal youth and the MM skull kid living long enough to be part of the legend of the giants. Link, however, keeps his life in a constant peril so Navi is healing him 24/7 but isn't strong enough without they dying spirit of a pink fairy. (Yeah, I think they die when they heal you. Not many other explanations for whithering up and disappearing.)

And maybe we're just overthinking everything and the companion fairies flunked out of fairy school and never learned how to heal and just talk a lot to feel important.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
My honest theory is that a fairy dies when it heals you, i mean they are disposable. Navi and Tatl aren't that altruistic.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
i'm on the 'different breed of fairies side'
pink ones heal,blue ones for some reason don't [perhaps the non-healing fairies in termina vary more in color,which would be yellow tatl and purple tael]
what about the fairies that are tiny females instead of glowing balls of light

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
i'm on the 'different breed of fairies side'
pink ones heal,blue ones for some reason don't [perhaps the non-healing fairies in termina vary more in color,which would be yellow tatl and purple tael]
what about the fairies that are tiny females instead of glowing balls of light

The problem with them being different breeds, based on color is that tatl navi and tale all 3 could change colors at will.

There are different types of fairies. That's just about it. Nothing more, nothing less. The fairies that follow the Kokiri around are guiding/advice/navigation fairies (like Tinker Bell from Peter Pan; although, she was also called a "pots and pans fairy" originally). These ones come in a variety of colors. Their ability to temporarily change color can be taken as all a part of their ability to guide (like a warning signal/light). The other ones are of the healing variety, and are primarily red in color (bar the games in which they aren't)—there appears to be a 'chubby' variety of this type as well. In addition, it is generally believed that a little humanoid fairy lies within the ball of glowing light; the blinding light obscures their true appearance. Great Fairies are 'fairy goddesses,' but not in the Western sense (i.e., what us uncultured folks are used to), so let's not go there with that whole "omg how can the be gods theyre not a tryfors!!!?!111one!" debate. The Queen of Fairies is their leader. To explain the difference in appearance of each type of fairy from game to game: graphics and design direction...bam.

Fairy variety has a basis in real-world myth wherein a multitude of different classifications of 'fairies' can be found; there's evil fairies, good fairies, elemental fairies, healing fairies, fairies that don't even look like your traditional Western fairy, etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if those things we call fairies in the games are something else entirely; they just so happen to bear the title of "fairy" for the sake of simplicity. Think outside of the box, but within the realm of reason.

Stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom