• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Living In Hyrule is Better Than the Real World

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
A thread for people to list their opinions on ways Hyrule trumps Life.

'Tis a year and time of year that I'm seeing lots of political advertising in my area. Also, I was just over hashing out commentary with people on an online newspaper I sometimes like reading... was complimented regarding how I would solve a national problem if I had the power to and had one of those moments where I felt like I could rule the world if I wasn't scatterbrained... then I thought about Zelda. Yes, scatterbrained. Anyway, my mind's been attuned to politics lately, and I thought about Hyrule's politics and worldbuilding and how in some ways, the nation of Hyrule is better than where I live!

To start....

Hyrule is a monarchy, but it is a benevolent monarchy.
Face it, none of us have figured out what makes a perfect goverment. The idea of living under a monarchy chafes most of us (particularly Americans), but if Zelda were in charge, I don't think we'd worry. She is wise, compassionate, and always has the best of her people at heart.

Until she gets kidnapped.

Religious Freedom is alive and well in Hyrule.
Hyrule is the "Land of the Gods" and there are supernatural things happening all the time - therefore, no one hates you if you are religious. Furthermore, the various tribes have their patron dieties and they all seem to get along pretty decently. I'm not sure if the Triforce/Sealing War counts as a religious conflict or just a power conflict. I suppose it could be argued both ways - but, on the whole, I like the idea that the supernatural is very obvious and simple in Hyrule, so no one laughs at you or hates you if you believe in supernatural things, be they ghosts or gods. The people have such a close relationship with the world of the "spirit" there, as fantasy worlds are wont to.

Health care coverage is probably not a problem when there are fairies.
You get hurt? Find a spring. All better!

In times of national crisis, a Hero will rise.
So, Princess Zelda's been kindnapped, the economy has tanked and the land has been taken over by the drums of war and dark creatures. Not to worry - keep holding on, the dark time will not last long, for a Hero is on his way.

~~~~

I urge respondants to think outside the box on this about how the land and the various ways it works trumps real life or makes you wish you could live there. Think in worldbuilding terms!

hsb39

Why so logical?
I agree on a lot of that, I think I wouldn't want my country to become a republic if we had queen Zelda. I think it should also be said that people are generally nicer. Sure you have your thief every now and then, but it seems as though everyone tends to get along. I should note that there seems to be remnants of discrimination between races, but it has mostly disappeared. Probably the worst thing about Hyrule: pathetic guards.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Probably the worst thing about Hyrule: pathetic guards.

Agreed. In almost every game with Hylian Guards, they are incompetent. TP and ALttP being two acceptions (TP had guards who fought tooth and nail to defend against Zant when he and the mutated Twili invaded, but those guards were probably lost and new ones were drafted out of desperation).

Another good thing about living in Hyrule that you can't do in real life: easy money. Basically, killing monsters and looting their bodies for free money which is perfectly valid in all the shops in Hyulre. Not only do you get money out of it, you also ultimately do your country a service by decreasing the monster population and thus decreasing the number of monster related deaths. All you need is a weapon of some sort and a little training, and you're ready to rip.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
The economy is pretty good when evil isn't destroying Hyrule. Though inflated in TP's time, he cost of living isn't bad, either, and you can tell because EVERYBODY has a place to live, even if its in a forest or a small village. Trade is abundant and keeps everybody taken care of. There aren't any crazy trade issues or heavy taxes. Everybody does what they need to do to live, but it seems like everybody watches out for each other in the long run. Donations, etc.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Hell yeah, I think living in Hyrule would be 10000000X better than Real world, though, the thing that scares me is if a little man in tights came to house and broke my stuff and steal my money, or to get out and be attacked by Stalchildren/Stalfoses, Dekus, Like Likes and whatnot.

Austin

Austin
The benevolent monarchy thing falls apart until Zelda dies. Then some frightening despot (say, Ganondorf? :P) may come around and ruin it all. Also, a hero didn't rise after Ganondorf broke the seal in the AT until the events of WW took place, the world was flooded instead. But, yeah. When Hyrule's peaceful, it's extremely peaceful.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I've always loved the idea of living in a fantasy-type land. Sure modern science is wonderful and all that, but magic and all those other supernatural qualities that exist in fantasy worlds would more than make up for lack of technology. Medical sciences would be outdated and unnecessary with the existence of fairies and red chu jelly and the like. Online communications wouldn't be required in the relatively small, tight knit communities of Hyrule. News seems to travel pretty fast without the need for email due to the amazing dedication of the elite postal service.

Hyrule's government is also (usually) dependently stable. It seems that the Triforce of Wisdom, or at least its qualities, passes through the royal lineage, ensuring that all the rightful heirs to the throne will be benevolent and caring. Hyrule doesn't even seem that dangerous in times of crisis so long as you're not a soldier or member of an aristocracy. For example, very few people were actually confirmed to have died under Ganondorf's reign in OoT or TP (Kakariko was still booming in the former and, ironically, only Kakariko seemed to suffer major death-related civilian population loss in the latter). I'm probably forgetting stuff, but hey, the hero's almost always there anyways. The only major exception is WW's prologue, but even then the Goddesses gave the people homes on the mountaintops. Besides, the real world has just as many extreme crisis, if not more, and Hyrule seems to have less natural disasters so it's actually relatively safer. Seems a great place to live.

TwilightZelda

Zelda Fan #1
Oh this is a good question. Hmmmmmmm sure i wouldn't mind if i lived in hyrule, i would love to meet princess zelda and be her hero lol( yeah twilightzelda keep dreaming.)

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
You get to go on real adventures, meet monsters, use swords, etc. Also, you get to collect rupees and sail the seas. You have freedom and you don't need a card in order to work. :P

D

Deku Master

Hyrule also has freedom of race, considering many different races live and have lived in Hyrule. It's probably hard to be racist when you grow up around strange people like it is commonplace. I mean, look at them. Four different races lived in Ocarina of Time, and they had barely any dispute among them in the past, unless you consider the small unliking between the Hylians and Gerudos a dispute.

Zelda_Queen

Hick Hylian
You forgot one very special thing: NO ANIMAL CRUELTY! Think about it, you never see any sob-story commercials from the National Animal Humane Society saying stuff like "Please donate today. If these animals could talk, they would be saying 'Help.' You could be these animals' only hope." Sure, sometimes you see packs of stray dogs running around, but they don't have junk like visible ribs and swollen legs. I LOVE that about Hyrule!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
You forgot one very special thing: NO ANIMAL CRUELTY! Think about it, you never see any sob-story commercials from the National Animal Humane Society saying stuff like "Please donate today. If these animals could talk, they would be saying 'Help.' You could be these animals' only hope." Sure, sometimes you see packs of stray dogs running around, but they don't have junk like visible ribs and swollen legs. I LOVE that about Hyrule!
Heh heh, I think Ilia would beg to differ. *bricked*

Link didn't purposely abuse Epona there... but, I wouldn't say there isn't EVER animal cruelty. Malon was pretty upset over Ingo's cruel treatment of the horses in Ocarina of Time. And then there's the whole picking on cuccos thing.

Hazel

A Frog
Great points everyone. But, the main issue is the number of monsters!
You walk out and suddenly a monster pops out from nowhere and attacks you. :P That would be so uncool...

Zelda would be a good monarch, but what about that space when there isn't a Zelda game? There wouldn't be Zelda, new generation: Zelda on so on. But Hyrule would be a nice place to live, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom