• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Link Doesn't Eat...

Linkette

Heroine of Time
Similar to the bathroom problems often it's not shown how videogame characters fullfil their nutritional needs either. However a certain article on uncyclopedia might be right. Hylians might live on sunlight like some mysterious race of elves. That's sounds almost magical, some other people may call it photosynthesis. Any other theories?

Seamus

Pinball Wizard
I find it that in almost all other games, movies, or books that the people dont eat or go to the bathroom unless it adds to the story.
I mean, i wouldnt like to have to 3 times a day while playing zelda, stop what im doing so link can eat and go to the bathroom.

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
He eats. And bathes. And poops. We just don't see it/it's off-screen because we don't need to. It's one of those Law of Conservation of Detail things - if a person isn't important to the story, they usually aren't named or given a backstory, if it is not important to the overall story for the character to eat, we don't see that - it would put a damper on the game if you had to get Link fed every so often or he'd get weaker. It would be an interesting addition to a game - at first, but then it would just get annoying.

Besides, in A Link to the Past, you can ram into trees with the pegasus boots and get apples that restore your hearts. I assume he's eating them.

When I write a story, I'll have the characters eat and such, but only if it's important for some reason - or a break is needed in the action. I *will* have them take care of their horse if they have a horse, because the "automaton horses" trope bothers me as someone who takes care of the beasts in real life. I don't really *need* to detail my characters' water closet activities because that just strikes the reader as crude.

Hazel

A Frog
I think Link doesn't and shouldn't eat on screen. I always imagine that they eat whenever we turn off the console. And sleeps. And goes to the WC. I think that if Link needed that, LoZ would be too much like the sims. Nah, let's just keep him as he is. :D

@lex MM

The Lurker
In Majora's mask Tatl says:" But 72 hours? Even if we don't sleep................" That's why I agree he sleeps or eats ummm... somehow.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
Hes too manly to eat.
"Eating is for the weak" , he would say, in a booming voice.
Thats also assuming he talks, which he doesn't, because talking is for the weak as well.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Well, actually he does drink milk and things and in The Minish Cap you can buy and eat bread from Pita's. But I do see your point, but why would you want to spend ages if Linkk suddenly got hungry.

T

Tasha

Hylians might live on sunlight like some mysterious race of elves. That's sounds almost magical, some other people may call it photosynthesis. Any other theories?
I doubt they do photosynthesis, I don't think it would produce enough nutrition for a Hylian.
But anyway, it would be quite hard to eat three times a day, if a day only takes about a few minutes. :P Why is that actually, does their planet revolve a LOT faster than ours? Anyway, I think Hylians do eat, what else is the market in Castle Town for?

A

aguinn99

link does not eat because its a video game. :) although he does drink potions/milk.

Din Akera

Sniper
Similar to the bathroom problems often it's not shown how videogame characters fullfil their nutritional needs either. However a certain article on uncyclopedia might be right. Hylians might live on sunlight like some mysterious race of elves. That's sounds almost magical, some other people may call it photosynthesis. Any other theories?

*The botanist stands up* Hylain's cannot perform photosynthesis. They do not produce the necessary pigments to perform the process, if they did, they would be green. Even in plants, only the part that is green actually performs photosynthesis, the stoma and thylakoids of the chloroplasts in the cell perform the process only in the green portions of the plant. Sorry to blow a hole in your theory. lol

And before anyone jumps on me...Link's clothes are not a living organism, nor attached to him. So, they can't help him out there XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom