• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is ZD different?

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I...I wasn’t welcoming? I thought I tried my best to be welcoming and friendly...
I’m sure you were extremely welcoming to most if not every single person here. But unfortunately that wasn’t the case with the community as a whole.
A lot of people would just get ignored or get rude comments from some of the quitting members not long after they joined.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Tbh Echo, it's always been like this. There has always been drama and troublesome people. You can ask the members who have been around for about 10 years that back then it was way more drama filled than now. People don't have to have played Zelda to enjoy the community. People like Exlight and Rubik came here for mafia and enjoyed the community enough to stay and I know Ex has now even played a couple of Zelda games and Rubik recently played Zelda 2 with his girlfriend. If you make a welcoming community people will be incentivized to create discussion and also possibly try out the games themselves. But if you try to shut out others under the idea that this is only a Zelda site, then you're just limiting any potential new chances for discussion.
I actually didn't join for mafia, oddly enough. I joined because two to three friends were members.

I joined for the people and community, not for Zelda or mafia. Everyone has their own reasons to join.

I...I wasn’t welcoming? I thought I tried my best to be welcoming and friendly...

I’m sorry, I guess my post was a little harsh. I just, I love Spirit so much and I guess I got a little mad that she’s not happy anymore. I wanted this site to stay the same. For her and other members. But by only thinking about those couple members, I shut out the rest. Even if I don’t know them very well, I should still try to think of them too.

What you said makes sense. I guess I wasn’t as open and welcoming as I thought. I need to change that right here and now. I am known to be very kind and welcoming, and I need to live up to that.

So, I’m sorry all MarioBoarders and all the people that I insulted in my last post. I want to be friends with you. I think I just wanted to stay with people that I knew and shared the same interests with. But now that I think about it, that must make you very lonely, maybe even more than Spirit. I want this community to be welcoming and friendly, and if everyone else is just going to leave you guys behind, I’ll have to be the one to do it.

So...let’s start over for a second. Welcome to ZD! Nice to meet you, I’m Echo, I hope you enjoy it here. I’m looking forward to meeting you and getting to know what you’re interests are so we can talk about them and grow our relationship! This place started out as a Zelda site, but now it’s mostly just a way to connect with others and become friends! :hug:

Let’s not just force ourselves live with the change in Zelda Dungeon, let’s embrace it! Let’s be friends and enjoy each others company. That’s what matters most, right?
Echo, I don't think anyone would accuse you of not being welcoming.

If they do, I will digitally bop them on the head until they stop.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Can you try to meme less on threads that are kinda serious? It comes off as really insensitive sometimes.
The point I was trying to make was that ZD has its own identity, compared to other forums which are kinda cut & paste.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
The point I was trying to make was that ZD has its own identity, compared to other forums which are kinda cut & paste.
We both know what you're doing here.
There are people here really upset with people they considered long term friends leaving, so in this case you dropping random comments like these that add literally nothing to the thread are not only really out of place but kinda disrespectful.
Just apologize and try to keep the memes to threads that won't mind it, ok?

I argued that they should've tried to just talk it out whenever something bothered them, but if you're going to prove their point that it wouldn't matter then I don't even know what you expect to happen other than you being chased out of here sooner or later.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
We both know what you're doing here.
There are people here really upset with people they considered long term friends leaving, so in this case you dropping random comments like these that add literally nothing to the thread are not only really out of place but kinda disrespectful.
Just apologize and try to keep the memes to threads that won't mind it, ok?

I argued that they should've tried to just talk it out whenever something bothered them, but if you're going to prove their point that it wouldn't matter then I don't even know what you expect to happen other than you being chased out of here sooner or later.
I was answering the question in the thread title. I feel very bad for those whose friends are leaving the site. It was never my intention to hurt them. And I think you know that too. I think you're assuming bad faith here. We both know what I'm doing here. I'm trying to use humor to make you guys feel better. I'm sorry I tried to help.

Dark Boo

The Darkest of Boos
We can't control people leaving forums. But that's because life can be a ***** sometimes.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I was answering the question in the thread title. I feel very bad for those whose friends are leaving the site. It was never my intention to hurt them. And I think you know that too. I think you're assuming bad faith here. We both know what I'm doing here. I'm trying to use humor to make you guys feel better. I'm sorry I tried to help.
Sometimes people don't want things to be made better. Maybe they just need to grieve lost friendships.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
take it from me, humor has a time and a place, and in certain moments, it's just best not to risk it and save it for a more appropriate time

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it has always been true that there have been people coming to this forum for different reasons, but due to a dry spell in Zelda news as of late and most of the active userbase having been around for so long that they've already given their opinions on so many Zelda topics relating to previous games and they don't have much more to go on.

Another thing I think has changed is people's age and maturity. As we get older we take on extra responsibilities in our lives and the things we prioritise change and that's okay too. This has been a fairly small community for a while now and with an influx of younger members there seems to be a clash of personality/maturity. I think it is important to remember that the target audience of this series has always included children so we should not be surprised when younger people who act differently to the older generation here show up.

That's also not to mention that new (and younger) people showing up and being welcomed is an important part of this community's survival and continued existence, which of course is out of my hands. There is no guarantee that this forum will continue to exist if there is not the activity to justify it, so those who feel as though they would like this place to continue to exist ought to do their best to welcome new members and encourage activity to tide us through until the next big Zelda news comes around. Forums in general have seen huge decline over the past decade where people have taken their video game discussions to other places like Discord, Reddit, and elsewhere, so I think it is clear that they won't be around forever.

Losing long standing and valued members sucks and I genuinely feel upset when I see that kind of thing happen. It will never be possible to create an environment that everyone will enjoy and personalities clashing has always been and will always be a problem anywhere - it is just much more obvious in a smaller community. Zelda Dungeon Forums simply can not exist as the mature 25 plus year old only exclusively Zelda discussion community, perhaps people can't see that or perhaps they can but they can find somewhere else that's better for them and that's okay too - people need to live their finite lifetime spending their time somewhere that makes them happy. In the meantime, those of us who choose to stick around will do our best to try and keep a place that clearly means a lot to us going and adapt to natural and necessary changes as they come.

We want this place to be a great place to come and talk about Zelda, and we want the community to be warm and welcoming while also being tolerant of the fact that there are going to be vastly different types of people here. We will continue to listen to suggestions to make this place better (including on how to get more Zelda related discussions going) and do our best to make it so, but those suggestions can't exclude large proportions of the community who are helping keep the lights on and who for the most part are not coming here with any ill-will toward the existing forum community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom