• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is Toon Link So Lazy?

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
As people have said, its not just Toon Link. Maybe they used it for a little recurring theme. In WW the real gameplay starts with him sleeping in his lookout thing, and in OoT he also starts out sleeping as people have pointed out. Probably lots of other games too I just can't remember the beginnings. Doesn't he start out being woken up by his uncle in ALttP?

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Well, regarding WW Link, (seeing as I haven’t played any of the other games with toon link yet. D:) firstly, he’s just a kid, and sleeping in is a normal thing for kids his age. Also, it didn’t seem like he had any other real responsibilities to attend to, and it was his birthday. If I were him, at that age, I’d have slept in even later. :P

Aside from that, I think it might be partially a character trait, and partially a character development thing too, seeing as Link takes on a ton of responsibility in a relatively short amount of time, so the change we see is interesting. That's something we see in a lot of games in the series, someone coming from a more modest background taking on a ton of responsibility over the course of the game. Link being asleep at the beginning of the game is also something we've seen before. So, that, and I believe it’s also for comedic effect.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
it's not just Wind Waker Link. (sorry if this has been said already)

in every Zelda game except Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link Link is either asleep or dozing off. In A Link to the Past he is awoken by Princess Zelda, Marin in Link's Awakening, Navi in Ocarina of Time, Impa in Oracle of Ages, Din in Oracle of Seasons, Aryll in The Wind Waker, a group of Fairies in Four Swords, Kaepora Gaebora in Four Swords Adventures, Smith in The Minish Cap, and Talo, Malo, and Beth in Twilight Princess. He also appears to be dozing off at the beginning of Majora's Mask and falls asleep during Niko's retellings of the prologues of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

he deserves the sleep he got dude, maybe he didn't know it but he had a lot to deal with afterwards, he finds a random bird getting shot down by some guys on a pirate ship then has to save an unknown pirate girl that the bird dropped into the forest, he gets his sister kidnapped by the same bird, has to go with the pirates in order to get her back, gets shot at the wall of the fortress where his sister is being kept, gets booted out of there by again the same bird, meets a talkinng boat, finds out he has to pass down the task of his ancasters by taking down the evil overlord, so yea i'd say he needed that nap, talk about a rude awakening, the poor kid can probably never look at a bird the same way again

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I do not think that toon Link is lazy. I think he is a smart kid that values the important things in life (and resting/sleeping is one of those if you ask me).

I believe it is his intelligence and good choice of activities that makes him the great "heromaterial" that he is. He does not sleep much during his great adventures so it is perfect that he does so before them :)

it's not just Wind Waker Link. (sorry if this has been said already)

in every Zelda game except Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link Link is either asleep or dozing off. In A Link to the Past he is awoken by Princess Zelda, Marin in Link's Awakening, Navi in Ocarina of Time, Impa in Oracle of Ages, Din in Oracle of Seasons, Aryll in The Wind Waker, a group of Fairies in Four Swords, Kaepora Gaebora in Four Swords Adventures, Smith in The Minish Cap, and Talo, Malo, and Beth in Twilight Princess. He also appears to be dozing off at the beginning of Majora's Mask and falls asleep during Niko's retellings of the prologues of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

You said it.
and the hero of time is the laziest of them all.
sleeping for 7 years, imagine how painfull waking up was.

link from the wind wakers expirence is exactly like myne.

its my birthday and i want to sleep in then what someone decides theyll call me at the crack of dawn to wish me a happy birthday or family wake sme up to give me presents.

and its zelda tradition to be sleeping at the start of a game. always!

EDIT: ^^De_krumpel
i belive link was sleeping in the orignal zeldas however you can only find that out by reading the game booklette.
in tLOZ link is dozing in a field(or possibly woods) until he hears impas cries for help. in AoL link is woken up and taken to princess zelda
however memory is a little sketchy on that, but i think thats right

In every LOZ game I can think of, Link either starts out asleep or is knocked out at some point before the real adventure starts. Therefore, it is my belief that LOZ adventures can be interpreted as Link having really wacky dreams.

*shifty eyes*

*leaves*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom