• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is There So Much Legend of Zelda Hate?

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
I don't really ever pay attention to haters because they are just pathetic and I honestly don't care about their opinions, but there has been a lot of Zelda hate lately. I can't think of anything that is wrong with Zelda or Nintendo that would make people have such a passionate hatred towards them. Is it because of Skyward Sword getting such great reception by critics that is sparking this recent hate? What do you guys think?

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I think a big part of the reason a lot of people don't like Zelda is simply because they're not used to it. With FPS's as the big thing in gaming now, people probably aren't accustomed to games like Zelda that involve something else besides shooting at things with guns.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
Yeah that or the release of Skyrim. I've heard that a lot of people got extremely angry when IGN gave Skyrim a 9.5 and Skyward Sword a perfect 10.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Yeah that or the release of Skyrim. I've heard that a lot of people got extremely angry when IGN gave Skyrim a 9.5 and Skyward Sword a perfect 10.
Yeah I guess it also has to do with people getting kinda butthurt about SS's ridiculously good reviews even compared to other great games. I think part of the reason SS is getting such good reviews is because Zelda is already such a renowned series and is already loved by so many people.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
Well it's been said that SS is supposedly the best LOZ game ever, which would make it better than OOT, which would make it one of the best, if not the best game ever. So I think that it deserved that 10 just off of gameplay and has nothing to do with the legacy of Zelda.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Well, TP got really good reviews too, it also got many a 10/10, but I and many other Zelda fans didn't think it was that great. This may not be the case for SS, where it would probably be getting really good reviews whether it was labeled a Zelda game or not, but for TP at least, I think part of the reason its ratings were so high was simply because it was Zelda. Anyway, anyone who hates Zelda is an ignorant, close-minded moron who needs to expand their interests a little, imo.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Because they believe the Legend of Zelda is a timeworn series that keeps following a same thread of yarn (storyline) throughout every game. This is not the case. Zelda continues to innovate and improve with each new release, at least on the 3D end. Its top adversaries, which I'll merely terms as shooters, are far more linear. They require that you aim, shoot, aim, shoot, aim...rinse and repeat the entire time, unless hand-to-hand combat is involved. There is nothing inventive about that. On the contrary Zelda opens your mind to solving puzzles and fighting enemies up close most of the time. Compared to shooters I don't see this franchise becoming stagnant in the future, near or far.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
I definately agree with you on TP. I've loved every Zelda game, with the exception of the CDi games, but TP was my least favorite. I'm actually surprised that more people are hating on SS than they did on TP. Twilight Princess seamed to be the weak point in the series, but it was still loved by just about everyone.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I definately agree with you on TP. I've loved every Zelda game, with the exception of the CDi games, but TP was my least favorite. I'm actually surprised that more people are hating on SS than they did on TP. Twilight Princess seamed to be the weak point in the series, but it was still loved by just about everyone.
I think more people are hating on SS than TP because FPS's like CoD are becoming more prevelant and are becoming more of the center of people's lives. Back when TP came out, games like CoD weren't nearly as big so people's minds weren't sewn shut like they are now and they were probably more welcome and open to game like TP. Nowadays, people are more selective and less open to games that they're not used to so there's going to be more disliking to "different" games like SS.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
I think more people are hating on SS than TP because FPS's like CoD are becoming more prevelant and are becoming more of the center of people's lives. Back when TP came out, games like CoD weren't nearly as big so people's minds weren't sewn shut like they are now and they were probably more welcome and open to game like TP. Nowadays, people are more selective and less open to games that they're not used to so there's going to be more disliking to "different" games like SS.

Yeah I hate that FPS's have taken over gaming. The same COD game has pretty much been released the last 5 years and people still worship it. It's actually kind of funny that the FPS "gamers", and I use that term very loosely, don't realize that they are just being scammed. Atleast with LoZ, we get a new game that follows the same pattern, but does it in a way that it never feels repetitive.

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
Hmm... I know a lot of people out there think that Zelda games overkilled their gaming structure. (collect the three valuable items, major plot twist, collect more various items, Ganondorf appears, Link kills Ganondorf, game ends). I think a lot of people are awaiting a Zelda game with an entirely new structure. Let's hope SS will accomplish that! (any other hated is probably coming from trolling CoD neanderthals living in their parents' basement) ;)

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Yeah I hate that FPS's have taken over gaming. The same COD game has pretty much been released the last 5 years and people still worship it. It's actually kind of funny that the FPS "gamers", and I use that term very loosely, don't realize that they are just being scammed. Atleast with LoZ, we get a new game that follows the same pattern, but does it in a way that it never feels repetitive.
Yeah. Even if most Zelda games do follow the same basic pattern, we still have lots of new items, dungeons, enemies, bosses, overworld, sidequests, etc. in every game. So even if the mechanics are the same, every game is still a completely new experience :). I can't really say that about CoD.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
Yeah. Even if most Zelda games do follow the same basic pattern, we still have lots of new items, dungeons, enemies, bosses, overworld, sidequests, etc. in every game. So even if the mechanics are the same, every game is still a completely new experience :). I can't really say that about CoD.

Haha, COD is such a joke. It is the same game, with the same story, same gameplay, same everything except for maybe a few more guns. Each Zelda game is different from the last. I just can't wait untill the Wii U when Nintendo will finally get HD graphics, not that I'm a graphics whore, just so that Nintendo haters won't be able to talk trash about the graphics.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Haha, COD is such a joke. It is the same game, with the same story, same gameplay, same everything except for maybe a few more guns. Each Zelda game is different from the last. I just can't wait untill the Wii U when Nintendo will finally get HD graphics, not that I'm a graphics whore, just so that Nintendo haters won't be able to talk trash about the graphics.
Meh, even if the graphics are going to be uber realistic like all the overrated FPS games(which I really hope it never is- uber realistic graphics wouldn't suit Zelda very well imo), the haters will still complain about how there isn't enough violence and blood, how there's no multiplayer, etc. The CoD fanboys will always have something to hate the game for, unfortunately.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
Meh, even if the graphics are going to be uber realistic like all the overrated FPS games(which I really hope it never is- uber realistic graphics wouldn't suit Zelda very well imo), the haters will still complain about how there isn't enough violence and blood, how there's no multiplayer, etc. The CoD fanboys will always have something to hate the game for, unfortunately.

I really don't care about graphics, but on the Wii U there will be so many more possibilities with the stronger system. There could be even more elaborate dungeons and epic landscapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom