• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is There So Much Legend of Zelda Hate?

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Honestly, I don't think Zelda needs to be any more "epic". TP tried to be like that and it didn't work out very well, while on the other hand, the other major games like OoT and MM weren't all that epic in comparison but were still fantastic games. As long as Zelda maintains the immersive, nostalgic feel that made the other games so great, epic-ness and the such are more or less useless as far as actually making the game better.

My friends who hate on zelda are mostly too lazy to read and they complain it is too slow. Often I think the minds of the people around me have melted and drained away. Now that the music games have all but died all people ever talk about now is CoD, halo, sometimes GTA, recently skyrim, and from a select few people WoW. Zelda, I think, just often gets passed up just because people don't expect anything great from nintendo and I don't blame them. In 5 years There have been 15 maybe 20 games that I have bought:super paper mario, super mario galaxy (I&II), mario kart, ssmb brawl, epic micky, family members got wii fit, guitar hero (3,4&sh) and others I just don't remember. Nintendo hasent had a strong library of real meaty games and I think that is bringing zelda down.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I believe many don't like Zelda because of the big contrast compared to a lot of other games. In fact, many people I have asked about the series doesn't even know it exists. Today, many play FPS's, and it is taking away from the classics. Zelda was brought to my attention some two years ago, by a friend of mine. The difference from the usual FPS games I play drew my in, hooking my instantly. Yet, some are uncomfortable moving away from the normality of their games.

This being said, they choose to simply trash the game. Mu own cousin, who had barely had any experience in video games, merely stated the Zelda franchise was stupid because of its style and gameplay. (Some may be happy to know that I left him a few bruises for that one.) Still, people need to give it a chance. After all, "Don't knock it till you try it," right?

Zelda games are usually rated E or T (by the ESR:cool:, and kids are so accustomed to M rated games, that they make fun of E and T rated ones. Every time I look in a game magazine, it seems like every good game is rated M. So their parents buy it for them, and they get so accustomed to gore and violence, making nintendo look like pure childs play. And kids that are really young are getting used to M rated material, growing up to possibly become nintendo haters. For example, all the 8 year olds in my brothers sunday school class own at least 1 mature rated title and play it regularly. So my theory is that people dismiss "kiddish games" for "realistic, more cooler, violent games that all the big kids play".

Sorry if this made no sense to you, sometimes I make no sense when I write

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't even know of any people who hate Zelda, perhaps I'm just not in the wrong places like you. You can tell I don't see any Zelda haters in my day to day life because of my unbloodied and unbruised knuckles, from not having to sort these people out.

Overheadzelda

Reviver of threads
There's no reason First person shooters should still be around! Their so violent! Of course kids think that's cool! Well you know what, I'm 13, and I've never even played an M rated game. They're not "Mature." There's nothing mature about them. They damage people mentally.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
There's a simple reason why Zelda and Nintendo gets hate. First off, my generation and yours grew up with platformers and action adventure games and to this day I strongly believe that they are better than these generic FPS games that everyone loves. These people are CONVINCED that Call of Duty is the best game ever and that pisses me right off. They're so ignorant that to be cool you have to play COD, that they turn to you and say "Ewww Zelda, wtf is that? that game is gay and for babies." Along with you i feel like slapping these kids. To THIS day i still prefer platformers and action adventure games. Id rather play God of War and Uncharted instead of COD because you can explore and they give you a story that just makes you say "Wow."

I'd be a hypocrite to say that i dont play COD, cuz I do, but in NO WAY do i believe that it will ever be better than the classic Nintendo series. COD has mediocre single player with the MOST generic story, and I only play because of the online that I play with friends. But even that is flawed because of glitches and whatnot. Is it an amazing game? no, but it has a polished engine that is probably the best FPS engine.

Look at the States. Everywhere you look theres news about war. War is so prominent in American culture, that games like COD just fuel the hype and give kids the virtual chance to kill someone. Zelda on the other hand, is fantasy. Its a much more personal game, because you feel connected to the characters that you grew up with your WHOLE lives. Zelda takes you away from your problems and you get lost in something that is so magical, that no other game can really capture (especially COD).

My friend brought something up the other day. He said "Why do games like Uncharted 3 get so much criticism for not really changing when the formula for MOST Nintendo games except now maybe for Zelda have stayed the same for 20 years and gets no such criticism" That is a great argument. Besides Atari, Nintendo was the "BOOM" for Video Games. Without Nintendo and Sega gaming would have not been as popular as it is today. That's the bias for video game reviewers but look at the masses. They are CONSTANTLY criticizing Nintendo for being a "baby's" system and are like "LULZ L33T C0D FTW". like cmon....Nintendo has ALWAYS been universal and appealed to everyone and I admire them for that. Nintendo consoles will always have a great place in my heart so don't worry and keep on loving the games that are special to you.

LnktheWolf

The Sacred Wolf of Legend
Miyamoto says that gameplay is what matters, not graphics. What Miyamoto says goes. That's why the Legend of Zelda is so popular. Oh, and to TehXbox on the main page comments. I hope you see this thread, and stop trolling. Why get on a Zelda fansite if you hate Zelda (which I don't see how that's possible).

Something that I find ironic is even though kids say that FPS are for adults, they beat the game within a day. With a game like Zelda which is considered for kids, a lot of the kids can't even beat the game or it takes them forever.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
Something that I find ironic is even though kids say that FPS are for adults, they beat the game within a day. With a game like Zelda which is considered for kids, a lot of the kids can't even beat the game or it takes them forever.

I feel the same way. When I played my first Zelda game, ALTTP, I was only 6 and it was the hardest game I've ever played to this day. It took me weeks, maybe even a couple months to beat it. That is what kept me playing. The dificulty and the numerous hours trying to figure out puzzles was so addictive.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Maybe it has to do with the fact that 2011 was filled with so many good games: Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, Catherine, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Fable 3, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Duke Nukem and so on. Everyone wants their favorite game to be on top. Zelda is receiving the love it deserves. People think Skyward Sword is getting all these good marks just for it "being a Zelda game." Thus making them hate Zelda.

the main ppl that hate are people who haven't actually experienced the games for themselves, which is what really annoys me. if they had played the games and not liked them then fair enough hate it all you want but otherwise just "shut up" i say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom