• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is There So Much Hate for the Triforce Hunt at the End of WW?

Personally, I've always loved this part! I looked at it as an opportunity to halt the main story for a while and just explore the vast ocean. To me, it was more like a treasure hunt than a fetch quest. It was a challenging set of riddles, always leading you to somewhere new and interesting across the great sea. The best part about it was that it took you to places you previously had no incentive to explore; at the same time, you'd always come across something new and interesting to discover. I think it's a testament to the world's wonderful design that this part was so interesting. I felt like a brave sailor, scouring the seas for lost pirate treasure. And just think about the reward! You basically get inducted into the hero's bloodline, even though this link has no relation to the hero of old. It's such a fantastic plot point.

I don't understand why people say that this is one of the worst parts of the game. To me, it's one of the best.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, though. Did you love it or hate it?

Night Owl

~Momentai
Personally, I liked it Because I like exploring and doing things at a slowish pace.
I always started it early and got a slight headstart on it.
I usually intertwined it with other quests so it didn't seem as long.

If you like speed running and hate the sailing, then yeah you might hate it. Those are probably the main reasons for its hate.

I don't hate it, but maybe a reason others hate it is because you have to go find the map and then get it translated to then go to the place the triforce is hidden. Maybe people thought it was an arduous process for the pieces. Maybe they wanted the places that held the triforce charts to have actually held the triforce pieces? This is all just speculation because I liked the exploration of the little islands. I also liked that you actually had a use for all the money you get in the game, you pay to decifer the (instead of getting a really big wallet and have nothing to spend all the money you collected on).

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
I never hated it either, but I never super-doper loved it neither. Personally, I liked how it sorta put the story on hold. You could either be totally free and do what you wanted, or finish out the story. I can see people hating it too, though.

So... to each their own :)

I love it! Easily my favorite part of this game. Like you said, it's definitely a chance for you to explore the vast ocean world that was created for you, giving you an opportunity to truly appreciate the variety and charm in every square of the map. I can see how someone who really hated the sailing element of Wind Waker would dislike this portion, but to me it always seemed like the most relaxing and the most rewarding.

I don't see it as putting the story on hold, necessarily. Just taking a breather and allowing you to relax and enjoy the world of the game. :)

i really liked that part of the game as well, because all of the exploring you had to do. i also want to know why people hate tingle, i think he is awesome.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I loved the sailing aspect and exploring of WW, yet I did not like the Triforce treasure hunt. Why? Because it was forced. The difference between a fetch quest and a treasure hunt is that a fetch quest is forced upon the player while a treasure hunt is something that those who want to can do. Other Zelda games do a better job at this. If you don't want to collect all the gold tokens in OoT, or all the masks in MM, or all the golden bugs in TP, you didn't have to. Those were for the people who wanted to work and get all the rewards. Not everyone wants to go out of their way to look for items that don't really help them, but if one does, it feels like a real privilege that they took the time out of their playing to go and do so. This is why the rewards for such quests are usually huge.

Another thing is the rupees. I never had trouble with this because I collected rupees like crazy, (cause I wanted to bid for stuff without worry) but again, getting a lot of rupees should be a privilege that those who want to can do; it should not be forced. SS implements this better as you do need a lot of rupees, BUT its for things that you don't have to buy if you don't want to. You can still finish the game without them (still in the middle of playing this by the way).

The last thing is that this "quest" interrupts the flow of the game. Even if you do gather what you need in between other quests, you still have to interrupt that current quest in order to do it. Its even worse if you wait until you have no choice.

Forcing you to do all these things that Zelda lovers take pride in doing gets them upset because they no longer feel privileged. Add that frustration to those who don't want to do it in the first place, and it builds up. When you force someone to find secrets, they loses their value as secrets.

MW7

I don't hate it, but maybe a reason others hate it is because you have to go find the map and then get it translated to then go to the place the triforce is hidden. Maybe people thought it was an arduous process for the pieces. Maybe they wanted the places that held the triforce charts to have actually held the triforce pieces?
This is exactly what I wish the Triforce quest was. The actual tracking down of the Triforce charts was an amazing quest filled with exploration. Once you have them in your hands, however, it literally becomes the definition of a fetch quest. I honestly think that if they just cut out the decyphering and collecting that it would be my favorite Zelda quest ever. As it stands the Triforce Quest is a terrific quest that is anticlimatic and bogged down by mindless repetition at the end.

Last edited:
I didn't much care for it because it felt like obvious padding to me. Also I never cared for just sailing around in WW that much as it wasn't terribly compelling.

I liked it! It was fun to just explore around the Great Sea; but I can see why people wouldn't like, it can be seen as tedious, and having to pay copious amounts of ruppees to Tingle was pretty lame. Also I don't understand why people had such a problem with the sailing mechanic in the game either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom