• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why is There a Lack of Zelda in Majora's Mask?

zellinkda

one of many
So I have a question. why do you think that zelda doesn't show up in MM? you'd think that eventually, she'd be there..... at least that's what i thought. I know that it's "her duty as a princess to stay in hyrule," but why do you think that she didn't come to termina? wouldn't she sense that something was wrong? or maybe she could have done what saria did with talking through ocarinas. what do you think?

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
There was simply no need for her to be in the game. LA didn't have Zelda in it and it still turned out to be great.
Besides, just like with Ganon, I think that too much of Zelda might be a bad thing, so I'm honestly glad they left her out. It gives way for new, original characters to have a spot in the limelight.

K

Karimbus

It's a parallel universe, so maybe there is a different version of her somewhere. Maybe we don't see all of Termina in the game, and there's a castle somewhere with a princess in it?

(SS spoilers)
Or maybe Demise's curse doesn't effect Termina, so there is no Zelda?

Last edited by a moderator:
However, it is silly that it's called The legend of ZELDA and yet she doesn't appear in two of the games beyond brief cameos.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
However, it is silly that it's called The legend of ZELDA and yet she doesn't appear in two of the games beyond brief cameos.
Well even in the original game she appears only once at the very end and the game wouldn't be much different without her. Similar in AoL where she's only sleeping the whole time just to appear again after the final boss.
It wasn't until aLttP/OoT that she gained some importance beyond the storyline.

skybird11

state alchemist
MM, or zelda gaiden, is mainly a side story, hence the gaiden, so that may be one reason for it. maybe the developers wanted to try something different?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Zelda did appear in a flashback. Since neither Link or Zelda knew Termina was going to somehow be along Link's journey, why would she have seen fit to suddenly appear in the parallel universe? She is needed in Hyrule. Termina is not Hyrule. So she doesn't need to be there.

Anyway the title, Legend of Zelda, applies to the Universe in which Link and Zelda, in their many incarnations, exists. That which falls under the title has long since moved beyond the simple legend in which Zelda as a name is passed down the line, and even beyond the Kingdom that the hero, evil and princess preside in. That happened by the 4th game. It's like criticizing Dungeons and Dragons for not always containing dragons. Or Mario games that don't always contain Mario. From a marketing perspective Legend of Zelda is a name we recognise and when we see it we are familiar with the contents. If the title kept changing not as many people would connect the dots. It's why new IPs have been either having hard sells or gotten shoehorned under an existing IP to work. *shrug*

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Not all Zelda games need to include Zelda. Link's Awakening didn't, and it was a dream. Who's to say Termina isn't also a dream, or something similar? Aonuma stated that Termina is an alternate dimension, a parallel universe to Hyrule, and therefore bears similar figures. These figures might be some of whom Link remembered on his previous journey, and due to the dreamlike atmosphere of the Lost Woods he could have fallen into somewhat of a trance and produced the concoction that is Termina. As Satsy said, Zelda did actually appear, in Link's flashback, and that would account well enough for her being included in both Majora's Mask and the reverie Link fell under.

Not only was she not needed to be throughout the game as apart of the story. Also considering link now left on his own quest as a child why would she come??? Not only that but shes not in some other Zelda games like Link's awakening. Lastly, she did somewhat play a part in the game as link remember's all that she taught him about the song of time and some other stuff while on the clock tower. But plain and simple thechick just doesn't want to be clingy

I ams to say it isn't that sounds like a lot of baloga used to try to inertwine the games into a timeline, i think majoras mask was plain and simple just another part of the world. Basicly an america to the first settlers, they thought all of the new stuff was dream like too, but it wasn't. I honestly think this is also what the whole link riding in on epona intro was all about, he simply is venturing out further into the world after he beat ganon and was returned back into the world as a child.

Also you can't ride epona into the lost woods so why would his trance have him riding epona, intresting theory though.

Last edited:
Also you can't ride epona into the lost woods so why would his trance have him riding epona, intresting theory though.

Just because something is not technologically feasible in a game does not mean it is not possible in the game's universe. The Lost Woods look a lot simpler in OoT than they really are in canon. The reason is just that you couldn't have a Skyrim-style expansive forest on the Nintendo 64.

As for Zelda in MM, I agree with the "not her country" angle. Legend of Zelda was a brand by then, not just a couple of games' titles. Just because the universe is named after her is not a good enough reason for her to go get kidnapped in a nation she's never heard of.

H3roOfTime

Hero of Time
it was about Link trying to find Navi, he already saved Hyrule hahaha no need for Zelda to be there

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom