• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is the Difficulty of a Game So Important?

I didn't care about games difficulty until I played games like Super Mario galaxy 1,2 Sonic Colors,New Super Mario bros Wii and more.When you beat a hard game like Super Mario bros. 3 or Legend of Zelda you're like ''YEAH!! FINALLY,I rock!!'' but when you beat a game like New Super Mario bros Wii you're like''hmm...ok...that was fun...but I wish it was a little longer...'' hard games are rewarding,not only that but easy games are short and some time it feel like you haven't played anything at all.

it depends for me i guess. If a game is far to easy but has a outstanding story i will finish it alone for that but might not ever replay it. If the game is too easy with at a good story i will most likely get bored and space out when i play it. If its a tough game that gives me a challenge and good gameplay it will most likely be the game that gets my focus till am done :P If its too hard for me then i will do it in parts spaced out so i dont go crazy :P

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well the difficulty of a game isn't the most important thing to me, but I have to admit that in some cases I've been frustrated either with the difficulty being too high or not high enough. Personally I felt the difficulty set in the original Fable game was fine, it wasn't too hard, nor was it too easy. And if anyone did feel it was too easy they could challenge themselves by "boasting" before a quest, like doing the quest naked, vow to not take a single potion or eat a single food item during the quest, there was even the option to vow doing a quest without using weapons or magic at all - so the game offered you the chance to set your own difficulty, making it hard enough to make it fun, but at the same time you could avoid making it so hard it became unplayable.

However, the boasting option vanished in the following Fable games, they also removed the ressurection potion from the inventory and with it the possibility of being killed in the game, you simply fainted on the spot and then you could get right back up and continue fighting. The game suddenly became painstakingly easy, there was honestly no challenge left. The only consequence of being "beaten" was that your character would get a ton of scars that just wouldn't go away.

With the Buffy games, the creators took a different route in terms of difficulty. The original game had a decent difficulty and if you felt it got too easy you could choose to play the game at a higher difficulty level - again we got the choice to up or lower the challenges so the game remained playable. Some levels were easy, some were much more challenging, but all in all the game was enjoyable and beatable. With the sequel they made some changes that got to be frustrating. Firstly there were no checkpoints for an area, you had to play through a rather long level before you could even fight the boss, and should you fail to beat the boss in that same sitting, the next time you returned to the game you had to replay the whole area all over again. I was stuck at Sunnydale high playing as Xander for ages because of this (he was a weak fighter, had no powers, equipment or skills that helped me at all and the boss was frickin' Anyanka...) and it was just maddening.

So difficulty isn't the most important thing, but if it is way too high or way too low it does affect the gameplay. I don't think anyone really wants a game that offers no challenge whatsoever, and at the same time I don't think anyone wants a game they have no chance in hell to beat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom