• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is That Woman Making Soup??

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
The soup is a time-traveling serum that will allow Link to to move forward and backward through time to allow him to finish his quest finding the Cornerstones of Antiquity that are used to construct the Temple of Time, which is the entire purpose of the game.

;)

hahaha xDDD AMAZING.All hail the magical soup!

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
When I saw that my heart sank a little. Partially because Nintendo had chosen to include that in the trailer, and partially because I had hoped the Skyloftians would be Oocca or at least more exotic.

Yeah but then Link and Zelda would be the only humans that live on Skyloft and how would they be born Human in the first place?.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Am I the only one who thinks people are kinda over doing this whole soup thing? Shes probably hungry or something, I mean for all we know it could be a healing item.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
why is everyone freaking out? it's soup... she's probably making it because she's hungry. or it's to show that the Skyloftians have normal lives... no big deal. i wonder if it'll be like Grandma's Soup from WW...

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I don't usually do this kind of things, but:

Wikipedia said:
Digestion is the mechanical and chemical breakdown of food into smaller components that are more easily absorbed into a blood stream, for instance. Digestion is a form of catabolism: a breakdown of large food molecules to smaller ones.

In mammals, food enters the mouth, being chewed by teeth, with chemical processing beginning with chemicals in the saliva from the salivary glands. This is called mastication. Then it travels down the oesophagus into the stomach, where hydrochloric acid kills most contaminating microorganisms and begins mechanical break down of some food (e.g., denaturation of protein), and chemical alteration of some. The hydrochloric acid also has a low pH, which allows enzymes to work more efficiently. After some time (typically an hour or two in humans, 4–6 hours in dogs, somewhat shorter duration in house cats, ...) , the resulting thick liquid is called chyme. Chyme will go through the small intestine, where 95% of absorption of nutrients occurs, through the large intestine, and are eliminated during defecation.[1]

Other organisms use different mechanisms to digest food.

My evil instincts just took the best of me.

D

daddyx

I'm for the curse-theory^^

This woman has to cook the whole day ... the other three are forced to talk the wohle day ... I mean, it's a tipycal Nintendo curse that you have to do the same thing over and over again. Like peach, she always gets taken away and so it's the same for the soup woman!

T

Triforcex38

She probably makes potions for you in the future. Or perhaps it's part of a sidequest - a trading sidequest perhaps.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
"Things are always proceeding along in town, and in that respect it’s very much like Majora’s Mask. Like with Majora, there are a lot of game events involving the townspeople that get intertwined with the main story."
-Aonuma

Maybe this woman is part of a sidequest? Be a significant sidequest or insignificant like delivering her soup to her husband, she could be one of the NPCs you can
interact with more than just 'Press A to talk'.

Just a theory .__.;;

Allow us to begin with the definition of soup. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, soup is:
a liquid food especially with a meat, fish, or vegetable stock as a base and often containing pieces of solid food

Now let's analyze this further. Fish will not be in this soup because of the sudden decrease of fish in the sky. Meat is doubtful unless someone from Skyloft decides to sacrifice their bird for the sake of soup. Vegetables are also doubtful unless the people of Skyloft develop terrace farming similar to the Incas (see here)

This leaves the woman's mysterious soup to be nothing but boiling water. Meaning this is probably all they eat in Skyloft. So how do they eat food? They've probably went under a series of evolutions in which oxygen became not only what they inhale, but their food source as well.

CONCLUSION: This woman is making "soup" (boiled water) because it is the only thing in Skyloft that is capable of digestion.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The Soup Lady is a Witch

Why indeed is that woman from the Skyward Sword E3 2011 Official Trailer making soup? This is a most puzzling question that requires a lot of thought. While human beings make soup on a daily basis to consume, it has little to no real nutritional value. Soups from The Legend of Zelda provide the player with extra hearts, more magic, etc. The soups from Zelda are known for their powerful replenishing abilities and their ability to be trapped in a trusty bottle to be consumed during battle. We all know that some people like to “om nom nom” on soup, some people like to sip soup and some people like to gulp it down primitively (like Link). However you like to consume soup, it always provides a wonderful taste sensation that warms the soul, and in the case of Zelda games, heals you as well.

attachment.php

When you take a look at the woman in the trailer, she looks rather eccentric. Basically, she appears to be an ordinary woman - but is she really? As fans of the Zelda series should know, in past games there are witches that brew quick-healing potions to aid Link in his ultimate quest. But, quite frankly, witches are a far cry from this woman here... or are they? The woman’s hairstyle is most off-putting. It reminds one of a mad scientist or something of the sort. And as you all know, mad scientists are often associated with potions and potent concoctions that produce gassy fumes and will have chemical reactions. While soups may not necessarily have chemical reactions, witches’ soups tend to be very bubbly and produce gaseous clouds of green smoke. That is precisely why I believe the woman in the trailer to be closely related to a mad scientist, perfecting a powerful soup to help aid Link in his quest. (Shown below is a picture of a mad scientist and the woman making soup to compare and contrast)

fe2103f59f46cd0c0a750c3500099895.png
attachment.php

Look at the comparison above. Do the hairstyles seem rather similar? They’re both rather spiky and peculiar aren’t they? Well, that’s to be expected. But on might ask him/herself this: “Where is the connection between a mad scientist and a woman with weird hair and a witch making potions?”. The answer may not come to you immediately, but it’s all in the behavior of the individual. Since mad scientists are usually depicted as men, it’s almost impossible for the woman to be a mad scientist (like Marie Curie). Therefore, it’s wise to brand her as witch instead. Now that that’s out of the way, another question remains unanswered. Does this woman making soup exist in any other Zelda games? Since she’s most likely a witch and therefore immortal, it’s possible that she could have lived through many of the Zelda games to become the witch character seen in A Link to the Past and other games. What makes this an even stronger certainty is the fact that she looks young and healthy in Skyward Sword, which is the earliest of Zelda games to date (chronologically, of course). Being immortal doesn’t always mean that you stay young forever, so she probably grew into the grotesque and disgusting creatures we know in Zelda games that take place after Skyward Sword. (Shown below is Syrup the witch from ALttP, LA, OoX and MC and Granny the witch from OoT)

Syrup_%28Oracle_of_Ages_%26_Oracle_of_Seasons%29.png
Granny.png

Syrup the witch is a strong candidate to be the woman making soup in the future because she is old, wretched and appears only in the Child Timeline. This isn’t t say that the woman making soup can’t appear in the Adult Timeline either, it’s just that most witches make an appearance in the Child Timeline. There’s not really much evidence to prove is disprove this theory about Syrup. She’s old, and might as well be the same person. What’s the likelihood of there being multiple Syrups? After all, witches are immortal. As for Granny, she exists before the timeline split. Therefore, she can also be known as the woman making soup if enough time is allowed to pass between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. As you can tell by the pictures above, Syrup looks much older and eroded from age than Granny from Ocarina of Time. Granny has a much more youthful appearance which, if you look closely, bears a bit of a resemblance to the woman making that delectable vat of soup.

All of these witches are willing to aid Link in his quest, meaning that the soup lady has affections for Link and wants him to be extra healthy and strong for every adventure he must endure (how sweet!). I’ve drawn this analysis based on how over the hundreds and hundreds of years, the soup lady has never once refused to act at the prospect of giving Link some delicious, homemade soup (or potion). As Granny, she even helped him in a sidequest! That only further proves that the soup lady has affections for Link, even if she’s flimsy and withered by old age. Now, the woman in the Skyward Sword E3 2011 Official Trailer looks as if she’s making something similar to Grandma’s Elixir Soup from the Wind Waker. They have no direct relation due to the split timeline, but the appearance of her home and furnishings likely means she’s making a nice homemade remedy. My guess is that it replenishes all of Link’s hearts and gives him boosted attack power (and she fills it extra full so Link has two servings!). It’s sweet of her, and expected if she’s going to be Link’s secret admirer.

That being said, Koume and Kotake from Ocarina of Time and other games are also considered to be notable witches of the series, but they obviously have no love for Link. The two constantly try to demolish Link throughout the series, but this can be explained. It’s a fact that Koume and Kotake are gerudo and raised Ganondorf as their young. But since the woman making soup is a witch, she must have magical powers. One common ability in witchcraft is the ability to produce evil monsters through magical spells and a large mixing pot. If that’s true for the Zelda series, then we could probably brand the woman making soup as a mischievous little troublemaker. She expresses her love for Link through soup and potions, but wants to create awful creatures like Koume and Kotake to injure him so he can come back for more soup and replenish his hearts and magic. It all makes perfect sense since OoT is the game where the timeline splits. However, Link must fight Koume and Kotake in the Adult Timeline. They do exist in the Child Timeline as well, so there’s no need to be too confused. It was likely a very elaborate plan to have Link return to Granny’s potion shop to keep coming back for more (pretty crafty, huh?). (Shown below are Koume and Kotake AKA Twinrova from OoT)

images

One problem that arises is simply one game’s existence: Majora’s Mask. Yes, Majora’s Mask is a problem. The dynamic duo of Koume and Kotake return, but this time they’re on Link’s side. MM doesn’t have a strong chronological position in any timeline theory, and is often regarded as a paraellel universe. Nonetheless, perhaps the woman making soup wanted to change her ways in Majora’s Mask and be less devious. Perhaps she realized that her ways of getting to meet Link in Ocarina of Time weren’t so successful, so she decided to be nice to him once again and happily provide him with potions. However, the soup lady proved that she’s not so easy to get. To be able to make potions once again, Link must help out Koume and Kotake in the beginning of the game to access the potion shop. She obviously wanted some up-close time with Link to get to know him better in Majora’s Mask, since she feel for him enough in OoT to devise such an ingenious plan. We must remember, though, that Koume and Kotake are probably just pawns in the soup lady’s ultimate game of chess.

Now, going back to Skyward Sword, it’s not too possible for the soup lady to be sitting on the sidelines in Skyloft and simply making soup. As we’ve seen in Ocarina of Time, she can be a nasty little witch. I like what DerpdeDerp (AKA FierceDeity 2.0) suggested in this thread previously: she may be linked to FABULOUS DEBBIE (AKA Ghirahim). On the other hand, though, I don’t believe that the soup lady is a secret follower of the FABULOUS Ghirahim. As I’ve explained above, the soup lady is Link’s secret admirer and will do nothing to at least touch him. In SS she’s much younger than she is in OoT and forthcoming installments in the series. That means she has more stamina and energy, with more bright, young and “hip” ideas. I suppose one “hip” idea is to sabotage FABULOUS Ghirahim, rather than help him. That’s precisely why I believe she’s trying to get in close with FABULOUS Ghirahim and create a weakening concoction that gives Link an edge in battle. Also unlike what FD suggested is the fact that he is FABULOUSLY weak in the beginning because of the soup lady’s evil poison soups. FABULOUS Ghirahim must’ve realized that the soup lady was sabotaging him and fired her, making her return to Skyloft so she may make piping hot soups in peace. (Shown below is the FABULOUS Lord Ghirahim, who the soup lady may have sabotaged)

file.php

Now I’d like to venture out of the realm of the Child Timeline and get more into the Adult Timeline. If you’ve been following Zelda, then you would know that the Wind Waker is one of the most polarizing installments in the series thus far. The Wind Waker is one of the only Zelda games so far in the Adult Timeline that features good ol’ homemade refreshment. This comes in the form of Link’s Grandma’s Elixir Soup (mentioned earlier), which replenishes all of Link’s hearts and gives him increased attack power as long as he’s not hit. And look! Grandma filled your bottle up so full you have two servings! Ain’t she the best? We all have fond memories of Link’s kindly mee-maw and think what we would do without her. Well, perhaps that warm, comforting bundle of happiness that is Link’s Grandma is something else deep inside. I say this because since the soup lady-witch-thing was born before the timeline split and exists throughout the Child Timeline, so why not the Adult Timeline? After all, Koume and Kotake still existed in the Adult Timeline (before they were killed). This makes the possibility of the soup lady being Link’s Grandma all the more promising. (Shown below is Link’s Grandma)

fiche.jpg

Becoming Link’s Grandma was a very smart move for the soup lady. Knowing that the coming of the Hero of the Winds in the WW was approaching, she gave birth to Link’s mother, and that child gave birth to Link. Finally her lifelong goal had come to fruition - as Link’s trustworthy and gold-hearted grandmother, she could hug and caress her secret crush any time at all. However, what she didn’t expect was the birth of Link’s youngest sister Aryll. That was a mistake and one small flaw in her plan. It’s not absolutely clear whether Link’s Grandma was one of the soup lady’s creations or the soup lady herself. Plus, Link’s Grandma looks a bit too young to be hundreds and hundreds o years old. Therefore, she is more likely a vessel or pawn under the soup lady’s control. What is certain, though, is that this was the soup lady’s greatest plan yet. She also was able to formulate her most potent soup during this time period because of her happiness. Though, in her time of ecstasy, the soup lady does slip up a bit. She goes into a depression because of losing Aryll, signifying that she’s becoming too involved in her role as Link’s Grandma. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, since the end result is not altered. The soup lady finally has alone time with Link, although her bubbling affection for the hero can’t be easily detected from the outside.

The soup lady must have other personas, though. It feels like she’s very limited when it comes to who she can create and what sort of “costume” she will put on. I’ve come to the conclusion that the soup lady plays many major roles in the Zelda series, not just the witches. It makes sense because she truly loves Link, and if she really wanted to help him out, she should do so in more ways. As I’ve stated above in this post, the soup lady’s magic is almost boundless. Prepare yourselves... I believe that the lady making soup from the trailer pulls the strings of every single sidequest character in the series to date (that isn’t mean or spiteful to Link). In one way or another, she may just be the only single person that helps Hyrule function. Then what becomes of Hyrule? If it’s just populated by simple pawns, how is it even considered a legitimate kingdom? Well, to outside kingdoms, everything seems to be normal. Since several people inside the kingdom are basically nonexistent, these pawns of the soup lady can silence the others to keep things on the down-low. This can be done by assassinating those who are suspicious of anything, and since the soup lady has control of so many vessels, she can hear all of the kingdom’s gossip and therefore censor those who she wishes to be censored.

I’d like to now venture into what characters the soup lady could be. There has to be some characters that she would not wish to assume the role of, no matter how crazy she is. One notable female in the Zelda series is Anju from Majora’s Mask. She’s well-known for the Anju and Kafei quest where Link must reunite the two lovers. However, Anju and Kafei’s love is exactly why Anju cannot be one of the soup lady’s pawns. Knowing her, she is somewhat related to all the characters she creates and uses her creations’ bodies as her own. Falling in love with someone other than Link would be betrayal in her eyes, and therefore she cannot dig into the wonderful chest of wonders that is Kafei. (Shown below are Anju and Kafei)

50354_204309396420_668837_n.jpg

I would imagine that the soup lady from the trailer wouldn’t want to become a man, either. It would be super-duper awkward, so I’m sure she wouldn’t possibly think of take on the role of a male NPC. There are quite a few possibilities of who the soup lady can be, though. These possibilities include Agitha, Aveil, Ciela, Crazy Tracy, Epona (after all, Link gets to ride her all day), Grandma Ulrira, Granny (from OoT), Impa (the soup lady would want to get close to Zelda to get close to Link), Kotake and Koume (discussed before), Link’s Grandma, Madame MeowMeow, Madame Aroma, Malon (makes sense; she’s young, Link’s type and did get pretty close to him), Medli, Princess Ruto and Saria. It may not seem like much, but most of the townspeople from Zelda games are not named. The soup lady could easily be any of the characters I named above. However, I wouldn’t imagine that the soup lady’s magic is limited to taking control of these bodies. She could very well have been Midna, Navi or even Princess Zelda herself. That being said, most of you would view the soup lady as a pretty scary woman.

So why is that lady making soup? She’s doing it because of her immeasurable affection for our hero, Link. She just loves him to pieces and wants to make hearty soups to heal him. But, as you know, she does lots of work behind the scenes and operates about half of Hyrule in the process. There’s some speculation as to whether the soup lady-witch-thing will tag along with FABULOUS Ghirahim and sabotage him with some poison soup, though. There hasn’t been enough information released about Skyward Sword to confirm anything regarding Ghirahim and the soup lady’s relationship, so nothing’s certain. Conversely, below is a picture depicting all the characters the soup lady could possibly be:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom