• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is Skyward Sword So Awesome?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword is so awesome because it is the sole Zelda game that has managed to create such a rift in the community. Sure, people have been divided by TWW's graphics as well as TP's, but SS as a whole just makes things come to a totally different plane. This isn't a bad thing, of course, as it allows Nintendo to almost accurately gauge what content that this and this part of the playerbase likes and what content the other parts of the playerbase like.

I would also lend some points to the art style, the improved storytelling, as well as the 1:1 swordplay.

Skyward Sword will always be the "what could have been" game to me. It is a great game, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it a lot during my play through. To me, though, it's a game that introduced a lot of interesting elements, but also came up way short in others. The largest example being the overly confined overworld (IMO).

I like the item and money system better then any Zelda game before it. I liked being able to upgrade items and choose what I had to carry with me on each trip down. I liked that money had a real use and that it wasn't insanely easy to find. I felt I had a reason to actually pick up and keep an eye on my rupees. It had a colorful and beautiful graphical design and the best motion control scheme I've ever played as well.

However it, as I said before, had a claustrophobic overworld. It carried one of the biggest negatives from TP over as well in that it restricted exploration greatly by forcing you to go through long portions of the game to unlock and be able to explore other parts. When you combine those two problems it made for a rather un-Zelda like feeling. Basically, you were only in an area because you had to. You were blocked from exploring elsewhere and once you did open a new area it was pointless to go back to an old one unless the story took you there. I like the idea of the overworld having more puzzles, but not if it makes it literally dungeon like. Idk about you guys but I never go back to an already beaten dungeon unless I had to and in this case it felt like returning to an old dungeon rather than an actual region or area.

I could go on and on. In short, it had some amazing new elements but it also was needlessly restricting and came up short in some respects. It could have been one of the best if not the best Zelda came but some critical flaws keep it from there. To put it simply, what could have been...

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
for me it brought tons of new stuff like wii motion plus sword play new items and just tons and tons of new stuff new characters well in a lot of zelda game they have new characters but this brought new areas plus skyloft and also it has a good start to the zelda timeline and its easy to remember in the time line too.

it also had a very awesome story maybe one of my favorite story line ever :) and it had good side quest with new items and drowsing with the sword plus it had really controls and sprinting makes the game faster than other installments in the series plus it had fun and cool dungeons and bosses plus the game was longer than I thought it would be.

plus zelda was more likable and she is my favorite zelda by far plus the characters were awesome and I enjoyed them and this was one of the few zelda games that made me cry at some points.

and over all its an awesome zelda game <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 but there were no :tektite:s :chu:s or :wallmaster:s or dadongoes which makes me sad :(.

Umm there are :chu:s.

It's awesome because it was the only Zelda game that almost made me bawl. Among other things...like the story. It wasnt "save princess from evil guy" like OoT.

I am not sure I would describe OoT that way, Zelda wasn't even captured until the very end and she in fact helps you throughout the game fighting the "evil guy" right there with you.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I am not sure I would describe OoT that way, Zelda wasn't even captured until the very end and she in fact helps you throughout the game fighting the "evil guy" right there with you.
*shrugs* Yeah...I guess change that to "save world from evil guy". TP was also "save world from evil guy", WW was, MM was...pretty much the whole rest of the series is. SS is "find missing childhood friend, explore a new land, THEN save world from evil guy". Zelda games arent exactly known for having unique stories...

So, I will change my reasoning a bit. It's awesome because of the story, but not because the story is different, because of the bond you develop with the characters. Impa tells Link he doesnt fit the role of the chosen hero after the Earth Temple, he flinches, you flinch with him. Groose goes from a dumb jock/bully to a valuable ally, and you go from hating his guts to thinking he's one cool dude. No other Zelda game did that for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom