• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Why is Majora's Mask So Underrated?

Junehs

[the.Jumping.Bean] ~
I agree. People find MM underrated probably because they haven't played it too much. With all the sidequests to do, who wouldn't enjoy it? I enjoy the dark theme of it. A moon falling on a poor town? Reunions in the game that are heart touching? Many masks to collect? I think this game is amazing! Sure, the temples are pretty much short, but if people explore around, they'll sure to find something fun to do. c:

Conor

the over analysing guy
I have to disagree, I'd say Majora's Mask isn't underrated anymore, it's just like luigi, everybody says he's the lesser of the two and underrated and one day a sizeable amount of people prefer it to ocarina of time/mario

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Underrated? Since when?

I suppose this was little past my time. I practically grew up on Majora's Mask, so I don't find anything lacking when comparing it to Ocarina of Time. They're both pretty equal in my eyes...discounting the identical NPCs.

fyeahh-gina

一剣の戦いの美しさ
I've never played Majora's Mask until today, and I'm addicted! It's fun to be kid Link, and not having Ganon as the main enemy and the triforce being apart of the story spices it up a little bit and makes it more interesting because it's not the same thing over, and over again. I love the places, and the people! The only thing I was a tad confused with was apparently Link left Hyrule, but some of the same characters from Hyrule Castle Town, Lake Hylia, Lon Lon Ranch, etc are in it with different names. I kind of wish they would of made different ones rather than a few. I dont see how anyone can't not enjoy this game and not find it relevant. It's amazing! The storyline is awesome, just like all the Zelda games are!

I've never played Majora's Mask until today, and I'm addicted! It's fun to be kid Link, and not having Ganon as the main enemy and the triforce being apart of the story spices it up a little bit and makes it more interesting because it's not the same thing over, and over again. I love the places, and the people! The only thing I was a tad confused with was apparently Link left Hyrule, but some of the same characters from Hyrule Castle Town, Lake Hylia, Lon Lon Ranch, etc are in it with different names. I kind of wish they would of made different ones rather than a few. I dont see how anyone can't not enjoy this game and not find it relevant. It's amazing! The storyline is awesome, just like all the Zelda games are!

They aren't the same characters though, they look the same because they are the parallel universe equivalent of those characters.

I keep seeing the whole "Zelda wasn't in MM as much as OOT, so that makes OOT better."
Okay, I don't see how the princess being in the game automatically makes it good. Yeah, I get it, she's an important character, but sometimes it's okay to have a game that doesn't have a damsel in distress. Majora's mask had an amazing plotline and did perfectly well without the Zelda being there the whole time. Ocarina of Time is a great game, but it seems kind of shallow and distant. The side characters in Majora's Mask are a lot more active and you can interact with them much more.

I don't think Majora's Mask is underrated. it has a lot of support this days and I very often see people commenting that it is their favourite game.

It was underrated a few years after its release as it was shocking that as its sequel it 'lost' some of the elements people liked from OoT and were expecting to see in the upcoming game. This crash made many reject the game in its moment. Another think people didn't like where the save owls, only we learnt that in Japan only one serves you to save. Even during those days I remember it had very passionate fans that fought over for it all over the forums, polls to choose which one is better from those two are something that has been then and still sprout now and it just show that the game is not so in the dark as people make it out to be.

Majora's Mask if at all has been rising, specially after Twilight Princess and their threads to define which one is darker. Now that the time has moved its course people have played it and taken it for what it is, allowing them to appreciate better its own beauty. Yes, some people will choose other game above this one as their favourite but that doesn't mean they don't like or appreciate Majora's Mask goodness, it is simply that it is not everyone cup of tea.

G

Garo Ninja

The problem is that Majora's Mask hasn't got as much attention as OoT did. OoT got it's Gamecube release, a 3DS remake and other Zelda games always become slightly related to OoT in some way.

All Majora's Mask got was a scary-as-heck creepypasta...

The problem is that Majora's Mask hasn't got as much attention as OoT did. OoT got it's Gamecube release, a 3DS remake and other Zelda games always become slightly related to OoT in some way.

All Majora's Mask got was a scary-as-heck creepypasta...

Majora's Mask is easily my favorite Zelda game. I didn't even play it properly until a few years back, but it still managed to overcome the "nostalgia factor" of all the other Zelda games I'd played. And I'm a pretty dang nostalgic guy, too; it's rare that my old favorites ever get dethroned, but that's what Majora's Mask did.

I never played it much as a kid because I couldn't understand the game mechanics. And it scared me. My memories of playing it as a kid are just a surreal blur of clock town and the moon. I'm thankful I gave it another chance once I got back into the series, because it skyrocketed to my number #1 spot in the franchise after I spent more time playing it.

When I started playing again the time limit did seem really annoying. Then I realized there were ways to work around the limit that helped ease me into the process, and I became intrigued by the nuances of the NPCs. How they would react differently based on what day it was and what they were doing. Impressive for an N64 game, I thought.

I think it was after I first beat woodfall temple that the design of the game really hit me with a sense of awe. Termina, as a world, is pretty small, but very memorable. Hyrule field is great but it's not as unique as the oddly structured world in Majora's Mask. There are great dungeons in every Zelda, but the ones in Majora are by far my favorite. Design-wise they were all very unique and while they still followed some of the old Zelda-dungeon guidelines (forest, water, etc), they were all handled exceptionally well and stand out as, imo, the most unique and memorable of any Zelda game. Inverted stone tower temple, anyone?

The difficulty is almost a perfect balance, although near the end of the game it did feel a bit tedious at times with some of the quests involving Ikana and climbing the stone tower. However, it all added to the overall experience, and the majority of the game isn't unfairly hard, though it's also never mercifully easy.

And of course, the atmosphere. I could go on and on about the atmosphere. There's something about Majora's Mask that I can only describe as primal, in a way. Does anyone else feel that? There's a primal nature to a lot of the design, meshed with somewhat familiar, albeit stylized, themes from OoT. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but me, but yeah. The game has a very dark, but not depressing, tone. It's stylish but not annoyingly so; it's subtle in ways, but there are moments when the artistic quality of the game really hit home for me.

Whenever I compare it to any other Zelda game it stands out. I love the series, but Majora is especially notable for me because it breaks from the pack so proudly. Eiji wasn't afraid to create something entirely different after OoT, and I respect that, because he could have easily just created more of the same and cashed in on that. Instead, he created something entirely unique with gameplay mechanics that not everyone would be comfortable with. He took a shorter development period and turned it to his advantage, creating a mesmerizing Zelda experience that doesn't seem cheap. Even though it recycles character models, it works exceptionally well and adds more of a surreal twinge to the game.

It's filled with more expression than 99% of games I've played, and it conveys it all through atmosphere and design. It was technologically almost outdated the moment it arrived, as the N64 was on its way out, but it's one of those games that just can't be defined by aging. It's so unique that the game design will always seem different, with an explanation for every "limitation" that you grow to embrace.

I could go on and on, but I'll end it there. :P

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Majora's Mask is easily my favorite Zelda game. I didn't even play it properly until a few years back, but it still managed to overcome the "nostalgia factor" of all the other Zelda games I'd played. And I'm a pretty dang nostalgic guy, too; it's rare that my old favorites ever get dethroned, but that's what Majora's Mask did.

Tehmuffinmon, you nailed it! Majora's Mask definatly doesn't have a "nostalgic" feeling to it. It is the only Zelda game with a large amount of realism and heavy connections with our society. Power, blindness to our actions, not taking responsability for what we have done. Majora himself is a prime example of the issues of our society and the Ganon-Slaying, Princess saving formula of the other games cannot really apply to modern times. When is the last time you went on a hunt for an evil pig monster and were off to save a princess?

The overshadow of the previous games and their story unfortunatly covers the bright and creative masterpiece which Nintendo created. What other game can beat the realism and storyline of MM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom