• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Why is Majora's Mask So Underrated?

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
Being never played majora and I just beat Ganon 2 weeks ago in Ocarina of Time 3d I dont know what to say, but majora seems really good and I think it was overshadowed by the "legacy"that Ocarina left and if it came A LITTLE later people would like it more and not complain as much! I mean I like deep story but Ocarina did not have that and do SEE ANY MAJORAS MASK REMAKES?! No I don't and if Nintendo was to remake Majora then that would be fine and every body can appreciate it I mean every Zelda is not meant to be exactly the same I mean OK Twilight Princess was very Ocarina but it was a type of SEQUEL to ocarina! Thats what a sequel does it builds up on it predecessor and adds new ideas!!!!!!

L

liz lemonade

I think that if Ocarina of Time hadn't come first, then Majora's Mask would not exist at all. OoT is an incredible game and I used to call it my favorite for a long time, before I actually played through Majora's Mask. Ocarina probably seems to get more praise because it was THE first.

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I think that it would have been pick at and docked points by reviewing companies simply because of the three day cycle, because for some reason reviewers are impatient and complain about not having enough time. :P

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Majora's Mask coming before Ocarina of Time wouldn't have really made sense, because Majora's Mask improved upon what Ocarina of Time already did. Had they been released in reverse order, in addition to it not making sense story-wise, Ocarina of Time would have had to build upon what Majora's Mask was.

I think a bigger contributor to Majora's Mask being in Ocarina of Time's shadow is when and how it was released, regardless of whether or not Ocarina of Time came out first. Majora's Mask was released on an additional N64 peripheral that was not largely adopted at the end of the N64's life, the same year that the PS2 came out and the year before the GameCube came out. Had they delayed it to the GameCube, perhaps, it might have been given a more prominent place in the spotlight. People in general might have appreciated it more for the graphics as well, since they would likely exhibit what many think of as a more "Zelda" style than what The Wind Waker offered on that level of graphical fidelity.

The idea that Majora's Mask in the shadows doesn't seem to apply much around here, come to think of it. A lot of ZD's members acknowledge Majora's Mask as an improvement on Ocarina of Time, and many even say Majora's Mask is their favorite Zelda game.

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
I think Majora's Mask is equal to OoT, it just depends on taste...
Majoras mask didn't get as much praise as OoT because it was released at the verge of the N64's impending death...

I think that MM would have gotten much more of a fanbae if it had been released earlier in the N64's life cycle.

P

PikminMastr77

To be really honest, I actually like Majora's Mask better than Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of time was no doubt revolutionary, but Majora's Mask had more content and, to me, had more depth in general. I don't know, I guess Majora's Mask just resonates with me better. Anyone else like MM better than OoT

I like MM better than OOT, and I dont think I could have explained it better myself PikminMastr. OOT, kind of feels like I'm just trying to get from point A to point B to save the princess. MM has a lot more plot to it, and the sidequests are much more fun. Plus, character and scenery design is much more interesting and colorful. Playing as Link with all of his different mask forms did "spice up" the game too. Instead of having to wander around as the same character with the same equiptment, you could be a Goron if you wanted to. :goron:

Sick of rolling everywhere to try and get places faster? you have the Bunny Hood. (Though, it was in OOT, but it really didn't do anything.)

The plot in MM also got a lot more in depth with the villain. In OOT, Ganondorf was just some twisted guy who wanted to take over the world. In MM, you learn about the Skull Kid's past and Tatl, and Tael, and you can understand how he came to be who he is.

If none of these, the simple fact is that MM was more difficult than OOT. This gave you longer gameplay, and makes it less boring.
That is all.

P

PikminMastr77

Wow! That's a great comparison of Oot and MM! I agree with all of the points you said! I also think that there is a lot more to do in MM, which means that you could take a break from the main story if you wanted to and do a sidequest or just explore Clock Town. To continue the conversation, MM's logic of the 3-day cycle and traveling back to the begininning of it doesn't really make much sense. Also, some parts of the games seem almost too challenging (for example, it seems like luck that someone would do that hide and seek game with the bombers, get the moon's tear, then actually find out what to do with it).

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
I honestly enjoyed playing Majora's Mask more, but Ocarina of Time had a better storyline and a larger landscape, in my opinion. I don't know, it's definitely a close one... but I'd have to say Majora's Mask was my favorite.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Ok, well, I definatly believe that Majora's Mask is overshadowed by the success of its predessesor. Majora's Mask offered a more game to world connection that I hadn't felt with Ocarina of Time. The plot is darker for sure, but it is the life like stories of the characters that really appeal to use and add so much to the game. We have a tragic romance between Anju and Kafei, we have a mislead child (Skull Kid), we have worried adults concerned over too much and not making many decisions...Just look at how much the other characters enhance the game. I wouldn't say it isn't a highly regarded game nowadays, but I would say that most consider it great for its gameplay or story, without them seeing that the characters are foundation for the entire game. Have many of you taken the time to see the links between Majora's Mask and our world? The similar situations, characters reflecting personal events, emotions felt and messages passed accross are all lying right beneath the commonly overlooked surface....have many of you delved further?

Ok, Firstly just to point out, Zelda DID make an appearence in Majora's Mask and her role was to teach Link the song of time which you need to continue the game.

Anyway, I prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time because it had a better plot and it was more challenging than Ocarina of time. there weren't enough Temples, but to be fair they were huge Temples. I also like the fact that you need to do certain side quests in order to enter the Temples.
Overall I think Majora's Mask was more fun, and humorus, than Ocarina of time.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Majora Mask is one of the most overrated games in video game history. I find it pretty strange that everyone thinks this game is underrated, and that is what makes it overrated: the fact that a lot of people say good things about this game, and think it is underrated. To be honest, I haven't found a lot of people who really thinks this game is bad... most people love this game!

I'm not saying other people's opinions are bad, though: I love Majora Mask, and it is my third favorite game (Paper Mario is second and A Link to the past is first), but I'm pretty tired of seeing opinions of people who say Majora Mak is underrated.

I can understand those opinions: back when the game was released, a bunch of people thought the game was really bad and disliked it inmediately, leaving the game almost untouched and collecting dust somewhere in their houses. I can understand people thinking the game limits exploration a lot with a time limit, making it seem like they don't even know what they are saying because the game contains a lot of exploration elements. And I can also understand people not appreciating the time limit and the fact that there are only four temples in the game, and that there is no Zelda although the game is a Zelda game.

But thinking Majora Mask is underrated is kind of crazy. More and more Zelda fans have been giving Majora Mask the praise it deserves since its release in the Virtual Console, and the game unexpectedely became one of the greatest games ever for most of those fans. But its moments of living in the shadow of Ocarina of Time are gone. I know people feels very good when they can appreciate an underrated game, as it feels like they have a treasure in their hands, a game they are linked to it, related in some way.

And yes... I know some people hate the game a lot. But the time limit does restrict the exploration elements, and makes the player feel kind of tense, thus making the experience much less enjoyable. Majora Mask would be my favorite game if it wasn't because of the time limit, although the tons of sidequests in this game are related to the fact that Termina will only live for three more days and all the characters act as an answer to this fact, setting the dark tone for this game. And four dungeons makes the game pretty short, actually: most Zelda games have eight dungeons, some have a little less (I believe Spirit Tracks only has five or six dungeons), and some have more (A Link to the Past has 12 dungeons).

Seriously, I can understand people have the feeling this game is underrated, but most gamers appreciate it a lot. I know how it feels that suddenly everyone starts playing a game that was your own treasure which you were linked to, and it happened to me with one or two games. But Zelda gamers have to admit this game is no longer underrated, and not admitting this will make the game be as overrated as some modern games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom