• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Why is Majora's Mask So Underrated?

I agree with the Hero_in_Green,:
"The game was fantastic, but it was sooo tedious. Like it wasnt to the point where it was hard per se, but annoying at some parts. but the best thing about it is when you finally complete the those tedious parts you feel so good and accomplished. i loved the dark atmosphere as it provided something different than OoT."

and JuicieJ:
"It was living in the shadow of its predecessor, Ocarina of Time, and follow that up with its non-traditional aspects (especially after Ocarina of Time), you get a game that is not appreciated (and even rejected) by most fans. Game reviewers always saw it as it truly is, as they weren't viewing it through biased eyes. Personally, I always loved it, but I didn't realize how good it was when I first played it, as I had played Ocarina of Time (which started my love of The Legend of Zelda) about 4 years before, and it somewhat overshadowed my judgement of it, as well."

I thought that Majora's Mask was a GREAT game, although not as good as Ocarina of Time. I thought that it was monotonous, going back to Day One all the time. I thought that it could be better without the Three Day Cycle, but that would ruin the whole game, and make you loose the sense of dread, and the feeling of hurry. So, Nintendo did right there. Majora's Mask is underrated...COMPARED to Ocarina of Time because OoT was the first 3D Zelda, and it was rated so high (in Nintendo Power and various other magazines). But nonetheless, Majora's Mask was a very good game.

Oh dear, my response isn't going to make people happy

Let me say this, I do think Majora's Mask is a great game and an underrated one at the same time... by the gaming industry in general.

However... I think the Zelda fanbase, including everyone here at Zelda Dungeon, is overblowing how great it is.

K

Keaton90

I used to think that MM was way under rated. Especially after I beat it for the first time and started jizzing over how frickin great it was. It has the most immersive plot I've ever encountered in a game, especially one for N64. But now I'm realizing how many MM lovers there are out there, after reading this blog and lots of other posts on tumblr and other blogs.

Majoras Mask>Ocarina of time

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Recently, I have found that Majora's Mask has recieved the praise that it deserved. This is a trend that I've seen a lot in the Zelda series, fans bash the new game, for the sole reason that it isn't the norm that there used to, but as soon as the fans actualy play the game, they say that it is great, maybe even better than what they're used to. Some of the games that this has happened to are Wind Waker, for it's graphics, Majora's Mask, for having the three day cycle and being darker than usual, and lastly Skyward Sword, again, complaints about the graphics.

I think that every Zelda game should deserve as high a praise as games like A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time, as soon as they are announced, but fan-boys will be fan-boys, right? I love every Zelda game for the sole reason of their namesake, and I retain that love when I play the games. This happened as much with Majora's Mask as with any other game...

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I would assume that it gets looked over a lot of the time because it can be complicated if you're not sure what you're meant to be doing. I know that I was stuck in Clock Town on my first play-through until the end of the final day, wandering around with no real purpose.
It can seem like an awful lot of work to get involved in the plot, you need to be fairly organised if you want to get several things done in one cycle and what not. I'm sure i'm not the only one who sees a game that requires actual planning and sets it aside for something simple and straightforward.

I have to say though; I have a feeling that a certain degree of 'modern' attention towards that game is curiosity sparked by the whole 'Ben' story.

B

beyerballler54

I love it because of the overall general creepiness of the game. And the fact that there's like 32105646 side quests. So when people say the game is too short well really it's not if you get the fierce deity mask.

geek4887

The Unknown
Majora's Mask...hidden in the Living in the Shadow of Ocarina of Time???

Well, we all have to love Ocarina of Time. This was THE Zelda video game. The one that made ALttP's identity of Zelda be known throughout the whole gaming world. But, what did that mean to it's sequel: Majora's Mask? If MM came before OoT, would it be the one getting the praise OoT is getting today. Would it have been the "greatest game of all time"? Well, certainly, OoT's captivating story and revolutionary was gameplay great, yet the Mask transformations, the deep character involvement,a and Clock Town design they presented in MM was AWESOME! Despite this post though, I still do think that OoT is still superior. Well what's your guys' opinion?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I think OoT would still be "owning" MM. OoT practically has MM on a doggie leash in that whatever MM does right, OoT gets the praise. I've read so many reviews that cite that OoT as having stellar sidequests, an attribute that really is only in MM! :O

It would be different if OoT came after MM, because the story could confuse a lot of people and it wouldn't make too much sense at first, but I don't know for sure lol.

I

IlikeBacon

For a moment, I read the topic title as a Majora's Mask easter egg found in OoT 3D in something living in the shadow temple. lol Anyway, never really thought of this. I'm sure more people would love Majora's Mask, but maybe the love for OoT would stay the same. So OoT would still be more popular IMO, but MM would have been liked more than it currently does.

geek4887

The Unknown
I mean yeah, OoT is getting the love because of the revolutionary things it did. Yet I guess there was a lot of freedom in MM due to the sidequests (haven't really played the game myself, just heard it from ppl :p ). But OoT's story was just more memorable i guess.

OoT would still own MM because it had more dungeons, a more memorable story, and was more of a relaxed game than OoT which most prefer.

geek4887

The Unknown
Haha, it's funny how when I wrote this thread, I thought of how MM was in the shadow of OoT. But currently, when you think about it, a lot of people are putting a LOT of effort to having a remake of this game for the 3ds.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
I think had MM come before OoT, it wouldn't have as many cool features as it does today. Basically, Nintendo figured out what they could do with OoT and took it to a higher level in MM. Majora's Mask wouldn't have all the cool stuff, and Ocarina of Time would have been amped up instead. A lot of people look at OoT and see it as the best Zelda game, not even paying attention to MM. Majora's Mask was pretty much destined to be the shadow of an epic game, not getting as much praise.

geek4887

The Unknown
Yeah, it's sad. I guess judgin by your Siggy, you really wish that MM was the superior one, huh? Well, it's always the older brother haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom