• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Why is Majora's Mask So Underrated?

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Majora's Mask is one of the most, if not the most controvercial games in the entire Zelda series....Many are critical of the gameplay being short, the storyline and the overall atmosphere of the game. After Ocarina of Time, Nintendo was faced with the task of improving upon Ocarina of Time and making a sequel. The game has a different story from the other games, so no zelda, ganon or triforce. Instead, we have transforming masks, a crazy moon and an insane mask salesman....This game is also more difficult than Oot and is for the veteran players, so many newcomers to the series were confused and became frustrated....I personally believe that this fresh style of zelda gameplay is a fantastic addition to the series, but many disagree...what are your opinions and why do you love or hate Majora's Mask?

Godkarmachine

Angry Megaman Fan
Majora's Mask is awesome though not many people have patience for it
On my first playthrough I didn't like it so much because of the time shortage and having to restart the dungeons when time was over
When you start doing the subquests you notice how lively the game is, the things everyone has to say, and how their emotions change with every day that passes, that makes it great: Details and this game has a lot of depth
the music is awesome, the enviroments are excellently well designed and the addition of masks and transformations give emotion and variety to the gameplay
The story is really cool, since the beginning you get a feeling of desperation that lingers through the whole game, the darkness atmosphere is masterful, not to mention that Link becomes an adult at the end, by making people happy
In other words what makes this game spectacular is feeling

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
Well, I love Majora's Mask because it doesn't follow the traditional travel through 9 dungeons and save the princess formula. Instead it has 4 dungeons with plenty of sidequests and items to keep you busy, as well as the best story line and plot structure in any Zelda game IMO. Now, sidequests are my favorite part of Zelda games, and in my opinion too many dungeons can be drawn out and boring after awhile. I can see why many people hate it, cause we all have our opinions. But it should still stand tall as a great gaming achievment and game whether you like the game or not as there has never been a game as unique as this since it's release.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
have to agree with both of you...Oot is a lighter game, and MM he darker. A more complex story, feeling of dread and just a fresh change was really what made it special...but I still have to say Oot is my number one, but only just before MM in a close second...both are fantastic games, but its personal preference (plus Oot was the first video game I ever played XD...)

My only problem with MM is that the game is to short! Either it needs more bosses and temples, a few more days or just a little more time. Restarting dungeons was always a pain as well as losing most of your items...this was a cool feature but in itself a major flaw...anyone feel the same way?

Last edited:

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Yeah...the side quests really weigh it down, which is a good thing because it gives the story a deeper feeling, but if you are just trying to beat the dungeons and finish the game, some of the side quests can slow you down. Another thing I found annoying was having to restart the dungeons....yesterday I was playing great bay, I got to the boss and only had 3 hearts out of 14, so I died pretty quick (BAD MISTAKE!) And I was on the final day....so I had to find the time to get my health and items back before the end of the day or I was screwed. Well, as you can tell I didn't risk it, play the song of time and had to do it again....but the restarting thing was annoying! I guess I got what I deserved for screwing up, and I already had the Ice Arrows so I skipped 3/4 of the temple, but other than that I find it is a great game, opinions about it vary by player style and personality, so everyone thinks differently....

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
The game was fantastic, but it was sooo tedious. Like it wasnt to the point where it was hard per se, but annoying at some parts. but the best thing about it is when you finally complete the those tedious parts you feel so good and accomplished. i loved the dark atmosphere as it provided something different than OoT. For me, I found the game pretty long because of how many times I had to go back to day 1. the side quests were really fun and i love the game because of them. Majora was kind of a disappointment though. he was way too easy and no i did not use the fairy sword or the great deity mask...overall though great game

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Majora was way to easy, even if you were just using the zora mask or staying link...I had to go back to day 1 so many times! :) Really good game, and I agree about the tedious parts....I also liked how the characters had new roles in this game, it was a neat change and gave them a different feel from Oot, again showing how different these games were...

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
To true, unless you fight him a bunch of time and learn how he attacks/moves...also, i you have 6 healing fairies in a bottle with you and the fierce diety mask, you can make it easy. Realistically it is a difficult fight, but there are ways to lower the difficulty significantly.

From what I can tell the game isn't underated at all. I've heard loads of Zelda players praise it very highly. Some don't like the time based gameplay and personally I think some of the dungeons are a bit of a chore, but it still is my favourite Zelda game for the feel of it alone.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I don't really think MM is underated but, It isn't as huge because it came after OOT, if there was no Ocarina of time it very well may have been recognized as the greatest.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I believe that the reason people don't like MM is because the time mechanic takes some time to get used to. Also, the game does not give a lot of direction, so it becomes hard to know exactly which way to go and when. Like in order to gain access to the Snowhead Temple. (I won't say anything more on this point because I forget how to do the spoiler stuff! LOL!)

Oracle of Time

Knows your future
I was one of the lucky ones who got to play MM as a veteran player so naturaly... I loved it! It's, to this day, my alltime favorite Legend of Zelda game yet! The entire feel of the game kept me playing, even in the bleakest parts of the game. All in all, this game to me is a masterpeice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom