• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Why is Link's Hair Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
he was going through a rebellious stage but later decided that pink wasn't his color and then permanently bleached himself blonde cuz he heard they had more fun. he's really a brunette under that golden hair though :)

I was told that it had to do with the transition to the dark world. Link's hair was originally dirty blond/brown, but when he went to the dark world, the rabbit was the same color. This means that the code for the rabbits fur and Link's hair shared the same code, making them the same exact color. (16 bit limitations).
Miyamoto didn't want a brown rabbit in the dark world, as it would be hard for the player to see themselves--Miyamoto also mentioned that it would be "funny" if Link turned into a pink rabbit, probably due to the high levels of contrast the color "pink" could mean in the dark world, and the fact that pink has been linked (ba dum) to more faminine personalities, which Link hasn't shown in ALttP.

Whatever the case, the coding to make the rabbjt pink ultimately forced Human Link's hair to be turned pink as well, since they sharethe same coding.

tl;dr - Rabbit Link's hair/fur color is the same code as Human Link's hair color due to hardware limitations. Link's hair is pink because of a hardware/coding glitch involving his transformation into a bunny.

Djinn

and Tonic
I used to think it was just some arbitrary compromise based on the limitations of the SNES at the time. But years later I found this image of an interview from 1992.

lKfejzL.jpg

That little Link model with the pink hair, so many years before this debate ever got started.

Salem

SICK
I used to think it was just some arbitrary compromise based on the limitations of the SNES at the time. But years later I found this image of an interview from 1992.

That little Link model with the pink hair, so many years before this debate ever got started.
I used to quote this to prove that Link's pink hair isn't a limitation of the SNES' hardware.

Links hair is technically not purple because in the actual artwork it shows Link with brown hair. So, canonically his hair is not purple. The in game sprites show Link with purple hair to make the game brighter, vibrant, and colorful. Imagine A Link to the Past without all the bright colors, wouldn't it be really boring? Here is some official artwork and an in game sprite to show the difference.
View attachment 13886 View attachment 13887
See how boring Alttp would be without all the different colors.
Yellow is also really bright, if what you say is true, they would have chosen that, and not pink. It would've been perfectly fine if the hair weren't pink. Look at this image, and surely 16 of the pixels on the screen wouldn't make such a drastic difference to the enviroment of the game.

Last edited:

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Yellow is also really bright, if what you say is true, they would have chosen that, and not pink. It would've been perfectly fine if the hair weren't pink. Look at this image, and surely 16 of the pixels on the screen wouldn't make such a drastic difference to the enviroment of the game.
its about immersion into this fantastical world. pink hair isn't a natural color so the small detail of Link's sprite having pink hair makes it just a little more magical. it's mostly a subconscious reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom