• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Why is Link's Awakening So Underrated?

ABC

(Might contain a little bit of spoilers!)

You almost never hear this game being mentioned by anybody. It's almost as if this game never existed (do you see what I did there? :P)
In my opinion, this game is one of the best Zelda games out there. In fact, this game is in my personal top 3 of best Zelda games. To me, the storyline has a "dark theme" similar to Majora's Mask. Perhaps not as dark, but there is still something about the island that's a bit unsettling and by the end of the game when you find out the truth about the place it just becomes darker in some weird way. It's kinda hard to explain it.

I know that this game doesn't have a whole lot connections with the rest of the series which could possibly be a reason why this game is rarely mentioned in context, but I still feel like this game doesn't get the appreciation that it deserves. Perhaps it's just me who thinks this game is good? :(

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
You are not the only one who thinks that. Not. At. All.

I consider Link's Awakening better than some of the console games. Well... from a personal perspective, at least. Its gameplay isn't necessarily better, but I enjoy LA way more.

I can't get over how awesome this game is. It's the only one that makes me feel any modicum of emotion for the characters, aside from MM. The story is absolutely incredible, the characters are unique and loveable... and, I don't know, it's just so awesome!

One of my favorite gaming moments is seeing the mural in Southern Face Shrine. That moment was just so wonderful and, if you consider it from Link's point of view, it held so much significance. It really is sad when you think about it. The EMOTION of this game is just astounding. While I've never really thought of it as dark, it does have a sense of sadness or hopelessness comparable to the atmosphere of Majora's Mask. The fact that you basically know how it's going to end some time after dungeon five... that really makes you wonder. It makes you question everything you've done up to that point and everything you will do... It makes you wonder if it really is a good idea to pursue your goals. It's probably the most tragic game ending in the Zelda series, too. Why doesn't THAT deserve more recognition?

And the music! Don't even get me started on the music! Ballad of the Wind Fish... it's so funny, because I never liked the song my first time through, but in my second playthrough I suddenly fell in love with it, and now I consider it among the best Zelda tunes. But the music just improved so much from the previous three games, as far as its integration with gameplay goes, and it truly marked an important moment for the series as a whole. It was the first time to feature multiple playable songs and a clear leitmotif.

I just... ugh. I could go on, but I won't. No, you're not the only one who thinks LA is underrated! I love that game to death and generally place it only below Skyward Sword on my favorites list. I wish LA would be remade instead of TWW or MM or ALttP or whatever everyone else is looking for. It would make the story so much more powerful, and it's already extremely powerful as is.

EDIT: Congratulations, you were my hundredth like. Just realized that. XD

Last edited:

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I think it's so underrated because of those CD-i games. Gosh, even th inking about those games brings back terrible memories. Hold on, I need to go to my psychiatrist.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Ok, I'm back. The doctors say I'm going to be okay.

Now where was I? Oh, now I remember. I think it's so underrated because of those...those...those you-know-what were made. People thought it would be just like those you-know-whats were released at the same time. Or possible because it doesn't have any references in the series. Ocarina had been referenced in Skyward, Waker also references Ocarina.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take care of a few things.

[walks into next room and stops]
Hold to right there Phillip!
I wonder what's for dinner?
Shut up!
But Impa.
I said shut up!
[***** gun]
My ship sails in the morning.
You damn Mother F*****! Say one more word! Just one more word and I'll swear to God that I'll shot the living s*** out of you! Go on I dare you! I double dare you!
I'm going to Gamelon t---
[blam blam blam]
[Phillip drops dead]
But but but fa fa father wh wh wh wh what at at at t t t if if if if if if if if...
[kicks Phillips out the door]
[turns on Game Boy to start a new game of Link's Awakening]

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link's Awakening isn't anywhere close to the Oracle games as far as being underrated is concerned. But, I do wonder as well why the game isn't mentioned all too much by the general Zelda fanbase. For what it is, the game has some wonderful puzzles (Catfish's Maw gets me every time), and while it doesn't have the best character development out there, it does have some interesting links. Still, I think what turns most people off from the game is...

It's almost as if this game never existed (do you see what I did there? :P)

...precisely that. I won't spoil anything for anyone, but LA's ending really just shut me down. After all the build up I had for the game...ugh. Why did NIntendo pull that one? Guess it's just one of those mysteries...

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I love Link's Awakening.

As I sit here today, with Link's Awakening DX playing next to me, I think that it deserves so much more than it gets. It's better than the other console games and at least Zelda ii. I also love how there are so many characters and enemies from other nintendo games, primarily Mario. The sidequests are fun and the puzzles are challenging. The story is fun and the characters are interesting. I just want other people to know about it. It's so fun and so engrossing, yet very few people have played it. Any serious Zelda fan needs to get this game; it's awesome. If you don't have it, it's available on ebay and the 3ds eshop cheap.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Well it is available on ebay, but the prices are so high, same as amazon. But hey, all we have to do to get the money is go into some random houses in our neighborhood and smash some pots. LOL.

ABC

One of my favorite gaming moments is seeing the mural in Southern Face Shrine. That moment was just so wonderful and, if you consider it from Link's point of view, it held so much significance. It really is sad when you think about it. The EMOTION of this game is just astounding. While I've never really thought of it as dark, it does have a sense of sadness or hopelessness comparable to the atmosphere of Majora's Mask. The fact that you basically know how it's going to end some time after dungeon five... that really makes you wonder. It makes you question everything you've done up to that point and everything you will do... It makes you wonder if it really is a good idea to pursue your goals. It's probably the most tragic game ending in the Zelda series, too. Why doesn't THAT deserve more recognition?

Yeah, this is exactly why I think of this game as having one of the best stories ever. When you find out the truth about Koholint Island, your perspective of the entire place is just changed.
(spoilers below)

It's kinda funny though, because many theories speculate that Termina in MM has the name because it's supposed to be "terminated", but in my opinion, if anything, Koholint Island deserves that name more. Cause it really does get terminated. And unlike the other games, where you for example see all the people gathered and celebrating and living the rest of their lives in peace and harmony like in the credits for OoT or MM, with LA there's none of that in the end. There's simply nothing in the end except for the Windfish (and Marin if you get a perfect ending) but all those other characters are just gone just like that. And you already know that around halfway through the adventure. That just makes the game dark to me, but in a different way from MM. It's hard to put a finger on it but I think you get what I mean.

I think it's so underrated because of those CD-i games. Gosh, even th inking about those games brings back terrible memories. Hold on, I need to go to my psychiatrist.

lol yeah that could be. But Link's Awakening was released a little of a year after ALttP and a couple of months before the CDi games so people should have been inspired by ALttP. So if the CDi games damaged LA's reputation wouldn't they have damaged ALttP's reputation too?

Link's Awakening isn't anywhere close to the Oracle games as far as being underrated is concerned. But, I do wonder as well why the game isn't mentioned all too much by the general Zelda fanbase. For what it is, the game has some wonderful puzzles (Catfish's Maw gets me every time), and while it doesn't have the best character development out there, it does have some interesting links. Still, I think what turns most people off from the game is...

...precisely that. I won't spoil anything for anyone, but LA's ending really just shut me down. After all the build up I had for the game...ugh. Why did NIntendo pull that one? Guess it's just one of those mysteries...

Oh, you thought that was a bad ending? I guess I can see why some people might be turned off by it but I personally thought it was brilliant. Having an ending build around mystery and leaving such an open ending that can be translated in so many ways.

Well it is available on ebay, but the prices are so high, same as amazon. But hey, all we have to do to get the money is go into some random houses in our neighborhood and smash some pots. LOL.

As ihateghirahim already has mentioned, it's available on the eShop for cheap. Event though I already own the Gameboy Pak I still bought it on the eShop and played through it, lol.

Links awakening is my favorite virtual zelda game I have on my 3DS I enjoyed it just as much as the LoZ and a lot more than AoL I don't like AoL's side scrolling setup and I have yet to play ALttP so I don't know how good it is, but it gets way more attention than LA so those of us who have played both should ask themselves why for if any one has the answer they do. So whats the answer fellow fans?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Because it's not underrated. It was OK in its time, but it's a pretty weak title today.

For me personally LA is the one i remember the most from my youth before playing OoT, i really enjoyed it and still play it to this day, it enters my top list above the oracles, the DS games and even skyward Sword so i hold it in quite high regard. LA was the first to get a little update in Zelda too with LA DX on the Gameboy colour, i mention LA a lot so talk to me some more ;)

LA has an interesting placement too, its story is all a dream but it was done quite well and even did a good job of being self reflexive in the nintendo flagship pantheon with cameos from Mario-ish characters and enemies from Kirby. Not meaning anything to the mythology is something that Phantom Hourglass tried to do but LA did things much better.

I don't know, maybe because it was released between two of the most popular Zelda games, Alttp and OoT? But I agree, it deserves a lot more. LA and MM are my top 2 Zelda games storyline-wise, mostly because they're kind of the black sheep of the series; they don't feature Hyrule or princess Zelda. I guess I just find the idea of a medieval-themed castle and a damsel in distress a bit cliche, so I like it when the devs do something different.

MC and the Oracle games are pretty underrated as well. MC in particular...that game was just a bundle of FUN. No stress, no annoying controls, no trying to be the next big thing, just plain fun. The colorful artstyle was refreshing as well.

Last edited:
I don't believe Link's Awakening is underrated. If anything, it's been obscured by the sands of time.

Recall that LA initiated portable Zeldas-playing as Link on the go was revolutionary and the game took a few risks of its own including the dream narrative. Being surrounded by A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time just prior and afterwards, respectively, however, puts Link's Awakening in a tight spot. The game is critically acclaimed but not as esteemed as ALttP or OoT. Furthermore, Nintendo hasn't rereleased the game as often as other older Zelda games-solely the DX upgrade for the GBC in 1998 and a 3DS Virtual Console port in 2011.

I just got done finishing LA, and it surprised me on how big the over-world was, the challenges the terrific game play, the mystery, and the wrighting was good and sometimes funny. I also liked how they mixed mario charictors into the Zelda universe, it felt fresh and unique. one of the best Zelda games Ive played. im glad I found it in the 3DS E shop... i wanted to just play for 1 hour a night but ended up playing for 4 hours a night just becuse i could not eather put it down..or was temporarily stick in a Dungeon and wanted to beat it.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed LA as well.
I think that some don't like it because it's on Gameboy and some people only play the console games.

Perhaps some don't like it because they don't really give you a direction to go in the beginning. They just let you loose.

Either way, I still think it's in my top 5 Zelda Games. :D

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
When the game first came out, it had as good a run of popularity as a population without internet could spread. It wasn't underrated then, listed as one of the must-own Gameboy games alongside Super Mario Land 2. The colour remake in LADX had a shorter-lived popularity, because it was overshadowed by the release of Ocarina of Time. IIRC the Oracle games weren't far off at that point either. It's just meant that the buzz over it has been getting quieter as new instalments overshadow what it was capable of. Even that glimpse of personality that had been missing from the first 3 games (let's face it) was blown out of the water as new games came along.

For its time it was good and well received. Even now it's a great game, if a little short. It's just that everyone eventually moves along, as the franchise has.

(I wouldn't have called it underrated anyway. Just... not overrated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom