• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is Homosexuality a Problem?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
okay I have no idea what happened BUT
why is homosexuality classed as sin when it's literally the same as heterosexual love? It's two human beings loving each other.
Is it because they do it in the butt? Is that it?
Is it a sin because you're all just weirded out by that or...??
Because it's not the way God intended sex to be. Really nothing more to it.

I suggest we get off this tangent before this turns into YET ANOTHER one of the MD's fruitless religious debates.

I'm well acquainted with "evolutionary science", and I think it's a load of BS. kthxbai
I find that claim laughable. Evolutionary science is a massive field that actually has practical applications, and is a collection of facts. Flippantly brushing it off as "BS" just further demonstrates your ignorance, and again, even if you think it's "BS", I think you should at least try and understand the very basics, because clearly you don't.

Jedizora

:right:
okay I have no idea what happened BUT
why is homosexuality classed as sin when it's literally the same as heterosexual love? It's two human beings loving each other.
Is it because they do it in the butt? Is that it?
Is it a sin because you're all just weirded out by that or...??
Generally, it's classified as a sin due to Leviticus 18:22, which states "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It's sort of a controversial passage; the whole book of Leviticus is.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
ZD Champion
Forum Volunteer
Because it's not the way God intended sex to be. Really nothing more to it.

I suggest we get off this tangent before this turns into YET ANOTHER one of the MD's fruitless religious debates.
If you agree that you have absolutely no right to force someone to follow your religion ;).

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Generally, it's classified as a sin due to Leviticus 18:22, which states "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It's sort of a controversial passage; the whole book of Leviticus is.
So lesbians are okay, then.
Good. I feel safer now.

The same book that has this:

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

So, pick-and-choosing much?

Jedizora

:right:
The same book that has this:

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

So, pick-and-choosing much?
I agree, I mentioned one of the passages earlier in the thread, about not eating blood or fat. I've never agreed with any of the passages in that book.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Guys, please. This isn't about which religion is right and which religion is wrong. Or evolution and science and what have you. I asked you to be respectful, I ask you again to keep holding that up. Obviously, we have a lot of conflicting views over this and I expected that when I made this thread. I just wanted to know why homosexuality was considered sin and why we let one religion dictate our politics. As previously stated, I'm not going to bash religion. But when a religion- an extremely widespread one with tons and tons of followers- makes me feel bad because of who I am, it's natural to feel a little upset, isn't it? I just think that when it comes to the subjects of homosexuality and homosexual marriage, the government should be neutral to any religious influence. And that's fair, right?

Most of this condemnation of homosexuals nonsense originates from homosexual figures themselves. That's right, wise, powerful, influential, HOMOSEXUAL leaders have perpetuated this ideology since the dawn of civilization in attempt to hide their own shame. They use their power and strong presence to reach the minds of not only other homosexuals but the gullible masses as well. In groups, it is leaders who set the "rules" in this game we like to call society. With that being said, the aforementioned leaders set social norms to try and establish a status quo wherein numerous factors are put into place that helps in masking their own insecurities.

Gender roles play a huge part in this. The number one method of trying to hide one's sexuality is to display these gender roles, oftentimes in an exaggerated manner. For example, closeted gay males may try and appear tough-and-tumble on the outside, pretend to be interested in sports, collect dozens of Playboy magazines, etc.—anything that appeals to society's established mindset towards what it means to be a man. But this is an obvious, manifest occurrence. What isn't so obvious are those types who ostracize people who deviate from gender roles. These men gripe and complain about strong, powerful women, because these women call the male's identity into question. A good proportion (not all) of these men are in fact homosexual; they're afraid that strong women doing "masculine things" will take away the one thing they've been using to hide their homosexuality.

In short, homosexuality is "wrong," because society says it is. Additionally, the bible is simply a powerful tool used by powerful leaders to propagate this ideal into the minds of their weak, gullible followers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Some people have been wondering why homosexuality is considered wrong. Here is a calm and collected exclamation that is essentially what my Catholic faith teaches. Man and woman are made to complement each other. Within the sexual act, they form a united love greater than the sum of its parts. The sexual act is a beautiful thing created by God, and it serves two purposes. The first is unitive, it unites the couple in their marital love. The second is procreative, all sexual acts should be open to the conception of children (This is also why Catholicism holds birth control to be wrong).

Homosexuality is an inheirently abnormal and disordered attraction because it denies that man and woman are mean to complete each other, and it treats the sexual act as something for pleasure rather than procreation. Since man and man or woman and woman are not complimentary within the understood unitive and procreative roles of sex and marriage, homosexual sex cannot satisfy the sacred roles of sex. Thus it is immoral.

The Church has no concrete belief on the cause of homosexual atttraction as far as I am aware, but the action is immoral.

There you go.

Some people have been wondering why homosexuality is considered wrong. Here is a calm and collected exclamation that is essentially what my Catholic faith teaches. Man and woman are made to complement each other. Within the sexual act, they form a united love greater than the sum of its parts. The sexual act is a beautiful thing created by God, and it serves two purposes. The first is unitive, it unites the couple in their marital love. The second is procreative, all sexual acts should be open to the conception of children (This is also why Catholicism holds birth control to be wrong).

Homosexuality is an inheirently abnormal and disordered attraction because it denies that man and woman are mean to complete each other, and it treats the sexual act as something for pleasure rather than procreation. Since man and man or woman and woman are not complimentary within the understood unitive and procreative roles of sex and marriage, homosexual sex cannot satisfy the sacred roles of sex. Thus it is immoral.

The Church has no concrete belief on the cause of homosexual atttraction as far as I am aware, but the action is immoral.

There you go.
Sounds biased, and you're using Catholicism as a tool to perpetuate your personal beliefs. At any rate, Catholicism is not law. Secondly, homosexual sex—like heterosexual sex and its respective attraction—can be seen as an attribute of homosexual attraction, and it is wrong to deny this. What if someone took a heterosexual couple's right to have sex? Lastly, I am not sure if it is your wording or what, but how does homosexual sex deny that man and woman are meant to complement each other? Why can't it be both? The action of homosexuality is as much a component of homosexuality as the action of heterosexuality is a component of heterosexuality. And sex is not sacred in nature; that's a social construct. Trust me, not all heterosexual couples want kids, as proven by "mistakes" like myself.

Believe as you wish, but prepare for opposition.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There's no way to prove this. There's also no way to disprove it. It's a bonafide mystery, and I truly believe it's going to remain that way throughout the rest of time.
People don't choose to be gay. Why would they? Because they enjoy being unfairly treated and hated and told that their lifestyle is wrong? In my group of close friends a few of them are either homosexual, bisexual or pansexual and none of them are openly that way. Myself and a few other close friends are the only other people that know, none of them choose their sexuality, they live in fear of what their parents would think, what peers would think and how their lives could change if they "came-out". If they could choose, they would just be straight do they didn't have to deal with these problems, but they can't, they are how they are and there is no changing that. Because my close group of friends are all sane and reasonable people we all still love each other for who we are and nobody's sexuality changes that.

Can someone please tell me a non-religious reason that it's wrong? Sure, you can believe what you want but your beliefs shouldn't dictate other people's lives. People seem to be getting the "abandon-thread" mentality, perhaps because they can't actually find a legitimate non-religious reason.

Kybyrian

ihateghirahim said:

There you go.
Well, for one, this implies that morality is completely and totally a religious construct, and that all morality must abide by the views of religion. This, however, is not true. Though morality in common society does have many religious bases, you can't objectively define morality based on your religious views because morality is not a concrete construct in itself. You can say that homosexuality defies the laws of your religion, but you can't say that your religion is the law governing all thought in the world.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that in no way does homosexuality defy unity. Two homosexuals can be as easily united as a man and woman in pure love, if not more so than heterosexual couples. Though it would defy the purpose of procreation, you have to have to be able to justify without a degree of error that the entire world holds procreation as a moral value that cannot be breached. Almost every youth uses some form of birth control when they're not planning on having children because they wish to feel united and be pleasured. Millions of Catholics who call themselves members of your church do the same thing, so their actions would automatically be just as immoral as those between homosexuals because both are refusing to abide by one of the "true purposes" of sex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom