• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Im in Debt to Nintendo

alkane

pokemon master of hyrule
im in debt to nintendo, namely the zelda and pokemon series because they made me SMART!:yes::D when i was like four or five i had no interest in learning math or how to read. but then i started playing pokemon and zelda! i would play pokemon and zelda and be completely lost. because i couldnt read i didnt know what do next. so then i started to try to read. id have my uncle help me by telling me what the word is then id look it up in the dictionary. and i eventually got good at reading, so good in fact i was the best in my class! then by looking at the exp bar in gold in the status screen i'd look ar how much exp i needed to level up and id figure out how much exp my pokemon would have after it leveled up. and whenever it leveled up and showed its stat increases i'd guess the total. without these two series i wouldnt be as smart as i am today. i have an iq of like 130 and im the smartest in my class and family!

does anyone else have a similiar story?

Last edited:

MW7

I'm pretty sure intelligence is determined in large part by genetics so you were going to have a high iq regardless of whether or not you chose to nurture that gift. You definitely wouldn't be as smart as you are though without learning through the games. It is really cool that Zelda and Pokemon contributed so much to you learning and being intellectually curious. I also am thankful for how much knowledge I've gained from those two series in particular. Zelda teaches you problem solving skills, and Pokemon is great for learning about basic math as well as statistics. Also as was your case they can be great in inspiring someone to learn to read.

My story basically works the other way in which I loved working with statistics and then applied it to helping my friend win pokemon battles. Once you understand the battle formula then you can make educated guesses on who will win a fight.

Last edited:
When I got my GameCube and Wind Waker with it on my 5th birthday, I tried to read it. Sometimes it would take my 1 min. to read one paragraph of text. Hence, my smartness. I also had nightmares of Bokoblins when I was in the forest of Outset Island. I hated that sound when they dropped down really made me shiver!

MW7

There's a lot of people out there who would strongly disagree with that ;)

Ok fair. Let me change it to, "In addition to the environmental impact that video games and other factors (nutrition, school attendence, etc.) had on your intelligence, you should also probably be thanking your parents for the genetic contribution to your intelligence."

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
when i was younger i never really had any friends or anything like that. and when zelda came out and my mom brought it home. let's just say my life pretty much began at that point lol.

alkane said:
but then i started playing pokemon and zelda! i would play pokemon and zelda and be completely lost. because i couldnt read i didnt know what do next. so then i started to try to read. id have my uncle help me by telling me what the word is then id look it up in the dictionary. and i eventually got good at reading, so good in fact i was the best in my class! then by looking at the exp bar in gold in the status screen i'd look ar how much exp i needed to level up and id figure out how much exp my pokemon would have after it leveled up. and whenever it leveled up and showed its stat increases i'd guess the total. without these two series i wouldnt be as smart as i am today. i have an iq of like 130 and im the smartest in my class and family!

I cannot tell you how much this story made me smile. I know I also started playing both franchises at an extremely young age but truly don't remember how literate I was back then.

TheBlueReptile said:
When I first completed WW it changed my life. It got me interested in story, how a good story developed and the techniques behind them. Since then my dream career is being a film director. Or an author, not too picky.

I hope Ganondorf played a part in this. His was an exceptional character in the Wind Waker.

I remember Ocarina of Time's first dungeon-Inside the Deku Tree-puzzling me so much as a child. Breaking the spider web taught me to think hard and for myself. It was quite an achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom