• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why I Feel Link Can Have Dialogue

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Please don't jump down my throat about this until you read and consider my entire post. And before I go any further, let me say that I am not talking about voice acting. Just dialogue boxes. Also, it has a spoiler tag because I give an example using a scene from the end of Majora's Mask that would be considered a big spoiler.

I've always felt that Link having dialogue would add to the depth of the particular game. Link having a personality would certainly help with this as well. These things would help make The Legend of Zelda an epic tale rather than part role-playing game. I understand that some people prefer to cast themselves as Link when they play the games, and I respect that. But let me just say this... Why does a character having dialogue and a set personality have to stop you from giving that character your own made up dialogue and personality in your head? It certainly doesn't stop me.

At times when I play through a Zelda game I've already beaten, I like to give some NPC's, and of course Link, new personalities and dialogue in my head in order to have a little fun with the playthrough. Those of you who adore the "Link Between the Player and the Game" aspect of the series, consider this: Even though Link would have a set personality and dialogue, that doesn't mean that you can't ignore it and make up your own dialogue and personality for him in your head. I do this all the time with NPC's, and Link too of course. Do you think that, if you learned to do this, you'd be willing to accept a Link who has a set personality and his own dialogue? Also, have you ever considered just how much deeper the Zelda games would be if Link could talk? Here, let me write up a quick example for you:

~Majora's Mask~

After Link plays the Oath to Order and summons the Four Giants, the moon stops. Skull Kid collapses, and Tatl scolds him for all the bad things he's done. While Tael is trying to explain what the situation really was, Majora's Mask awakens and tosses Skull Kid away like trash, and then continues to pull the moon down to earth. The Giants begin to stuggle, and things are not looking good for our heroes. The evil Mask flees to the inside of the moon. As the moon continues to gain the upper hand against the Giants, Tatl panics.

"Link, hurry!! Play the Song of Time! The Song of Time!!", Tatl screamed.

Link remained silent.

"Link, what are you doing?! Come on, hurry up and play the song!!!", she yelled.

"... No.", Link said quietly.

"What?! No?!?", Tatl exclaimmed in shock. "Why not?!"

"Don't you see, Tatl?", Link began. "This is our chance to stop this! We have to follow him into the moon!"

"You want us to go in THERE?! Are you crazy?!", she shouted. "What can we even do, anyway? Not even the Giants can stop this!! How can we?"

"We have to try.", Link said. "I'm not giving up."

"Link...", Tatl said quietly.

"We can't give up!!", Link shouted. "No matter what was thrown at us... No matter what challenges we've faced... We always came out on top. Tatl, we can do it. We HAVE to do it! We can't afford to give up! Not with so much at stake!! We can't just quit when this world is about to be destroyed!!"

"Link this isn't even your world! Why do you care so much?", Tatl asked.

Link lowered his head. "... You're right. This isn't my world. These aren't my people. But still..." Link raised his head and said, "But still, none of that matters! I don't care if this isn't my world! I still care about what happens to it! I don't care if these aren't my people! I won't just let them die like this!!"

"Link...!", Tatl breathed.

"Besides...", Link began. "I've made too many friends here. I'm not gonna let them down! I'm going to fight for them, and protect them!!" Then at the top of his voice, Link said, "There's no way I can abondon my friends!!!"

Tatl stared at the boy in amazement. "You really are reckless, you know that?", she said. Tatl paused for a moment, and then said "But then, I guess that's what I like about you! All right then! Let's go save this world!!"

Link nodded and said, "Right!"

And with that, the two of them entered the vortex that would take them inside the moon.

Don't you think the Zelda games would be so much more touching and deep if Link could say things like that? I certainly do. And like I said earlier, just because characters have their own personality and dialogue doesn't mean your imagination can't take those over. Even if Link could say things like that, or say anything at all, really, it shouldn't stop your imagination from working. All you have to do is ignore the dialogue and input your own made up dialogue in it's place when you read it. And, you can ignore a character's personality and input your own made up personality in it's place when you interact with them. It's as simple as that.

So, what do you all think of this? I hope I've gotten some people to really think about how they feel about Link having dialogue. And I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I respect all your opinions. All I'm trying to do is give you something to think about, and to show you that Link having dialogue wouldn't exactly be the end of the (Zelda) world as we know it. Thanks for reading!

Ice Sage

these are words
Hmm... that would actually be a good idea. It would be great for it to work as good as that. I don't think nintendo would jump on the idea too quickly though. I guess some people would not have the game feel the same if Link dosen't portray what they view as him. Also nintendo were always going for a "my zelda experience" sort of game and Link having a voice would ruin what they are trying to build. I agree that the games would seem more dramatic, but I don't think nintendo would agree.

link already has some dialouge in Spirit Tracks.

personally i dont think it adds anything to the game at all.

i prefer link to be silent tho, makes him more mysterious i liek to the the legend of zelda is that a legend been told down to you. and link is a hero a young man who seemed to rise from nowhere and save the world.

I hope I don't sound like a copied and pasted my own reply from another thread, it is just fresh.

I believe Link has already emotions and they have shown through the games and limiting to the 3D games, the old N64 Ocarina had him showing shock, that you are on third person seeing his back may make you imaging him happy or angry or frustrated at some of the dialogues and that is something I think that will not be taken away by him having dialogue screens from time to time.

Link has a determined path to follow in every game. In the Wind Waker his range facial expression for his emotions was something I welcomed with open arms. What people don't see is that it is psychological you are supposed to get immersed into the plot to feel what's the 'right' thing to do and choose what Link is supposed to. They gives us some hints. the difference between things is how well played are the elements to make it unfold naturally so your emotions reflex those that must pass through link.

In Wind Waker the connection is so strong in the scene that Aryll is rapt by the bird when Link almost throw himself out of the cliff in his rage. By allowing you to see this it lets you understand better that he is pain and you can relate to his pain, thus you can understand how he is resolved to go to the ship to find her. You can also see his attempt not to grieve his grandmother and how he feels bad when she knows. Seeing him actually being affected by each of these scenarios did not ruined the game, it enhanced it.

back into the dialogue I would not mind some casual text dialoge to helps us understand better how Link is feeling about something.

Maybe it is because I have been too much into wanting to create a good fiction book, but I've learn from them that the best ones are those that let you relate so much to the protagonist that your thoughts and theirs are tied together, you see with his eyes and understand his thoughts as you share them. I think good Zelda do that, make you immersed into the world around you and make things unfold in a way that you care to help them and that way synchronize with Link's attitude and decisions.

ENA-three!

the man from mars
well, link "not talking" is made that way to make us feel like we are link. if they put dialogue boxes, they might not get what we have in mind and it could throw everything off. so thats why they avoi itd. but i see what you mean, basic dialogue boxes would be cool. simply yes, i will go find your puppy. or no, i dont have time right now.

I personally feel that Link having dialogue wouldn't be such a bad thing. Having Link say what he thinks would be alright, just as long as he doesn't have huge lines of text. It would be okay for him to have dialogue if it were to say how he feels about something. For example, when Link saw Twinrova combine in OoT, he gasped. That would be a perfect time for Link to say something like "Whoa!" or "Ahhhh!".

ENA-three!

the man from mars
whats funny is, link does talk, not sure how everyone started assuming he was a mute or doesnt talk. ever read the mangas. link talks normally. so i think there isnt anything wrong with it, forget what ive said before haha

Its obvious Link talks.. pretty much all the games have characters reacting to something he apparently had said... The player just doesn't get to hear it because we are supposed to fill in the blanks as to what and how he is talking.

ENA-three!

the man from mars
Its obvious Link talks.. pretty much all the games have characters reacting to something he apparently had said... The player just doesn't get to hear it because we are supposed to fill in the blanks as to what and how he is talking.

well said. link is actually just like any charcter from any story. he talks normally. but i do notice alot of his reactions are simply smiles n what not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom