• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why has Nintendo not allowed installing games from disc to the WiiU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has Nintendo not allowed installing games from disc to the WiiU?
You know what I mean. So you can play the game 100% digitally. You can still make the player require the disc in the WiiU optical drive but you're playing the game 100% digitally as you've installed it from the disc.

Why has Nintendo not offered us this option yet? Or do you think it'll be a new NX feature?

Salem

SICK
  • First of all, why would you still need the disk if you install it? What would be the point?
  • I think the reason is they're big jerks.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Because the price for the game discs would be more. The average Wii U game costs like 59 dollars new. They might hike the price to the 60 maybe even 70 dollar range which is crazy. They don't want to make a conviently priced disc that also transfers a digital version to the Wii U. Instead they make it seperate so you'll have to pay for both a disc and digital version.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I wish they would embrace something like this so we could enjoy the convenience of booting games up digitally while also owning an actual product. Otherwise, you're stuck paying for the game twice until conventional homebrew comes along for the Wii U and we can rip/load our own ISOs.

• First of all, why would you still need the disk if you install it? What would be the point?
The point would be to ensure you own the disc itself and did just not borrow it from a friend for 30 minutes to install the game. A hard check to see you actually bought the game but cause you installed it, you don't get all the downaides that disc reading has.

Because the price for the game discs would be more. The average Wii U game costs like 59 dollars new. They might hike the price to the 60 maybe even 70 dollar range which is crazy. They don't want to make a conviently priced disc that also transfers a digital version to the Wii U. Instead they make it seperate so you'll have to pay for both a disc and digital version.
A $59US game equals roughly a $79Aus game. But I don't know if the $59US is before or after tax. If it's before, then it's $59US+tax = $79Aus.
Add $20 on to the game and you have a $99Aus game. That's pretty crazy.

I can ahree with Nintendo (and others too) wanting people to buy the game twice if they want the disc and the ability to play the game digitally. I am aware it is business, but it's not fair to the consumer.

I wish they would embrace something like this so we could enjoy the convenience of booting games up digitally while also owning an actual product. Otherwise, you're stuck paying for the game twice until conventional homebrew comes along for the Wii U and we can rip/load our own ISOs.
I wish that too. Would the console makers say game piracy is a reason why they are not doing it. They could easily have anti piracy issues in place and still allow us to install the games on our consoles too.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A $59US game equals roughly a $79Aus game. But I don't know if the $59US is before or after tax. If it's before, then it's $59US+tax = $79Aus.
Add $20 on to the game and you have a $99Aus game. That's pretty crazy.

I can ahree with Nintendo (and others too) wanting people to buy the game twice if they want the disc and the ability to play the game digitally. I am aware it is business, but it's not fair to the consumer.
Yeah my point exactly. Who wants to pay that much for a videogame? It'd have to be pretty darn good.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Its a form of DRM.

I assume Nintendo wants to keep it simple. They don't force you to install all games from the disc because storage space on the WiiU is poor, even though you can hook up an external HDD; and they don't have it as an optional feature a la Xbox 360 because they're lazy, maybe? Better keep them fingers crossed for the NX then.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
You can also damage the disc, but as long as it can read what game is in the tray, it can play it from the memory. I do this with Soul Calibur V. It's installed on my 360 and plays perfectly, but my previous 360 put a huge round scratch on it that renders it unplayable if it's not installed on the system.

The only reason I can think of that makes sense is the fact the Wii U does not have a lot of available data storage.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The simple answer is that because it's a change from how things used to be done. And historically, Nintendo absolutely loathes any change whatsoever, that they didn't decide to do first. They resist any new standard practices for many years before implementing themselves and even when they do, they'll try to do it differently just out of their own stubborn pride and need to be different for the sake of being different. There's no deeper reason than that.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I feel weird being in the minority here.

I'm from that old-ish 90s generation of gamer, where load times are for computer games, not consoles. The biggest appeal of consoles, at least to me, has been the ability to buy the game and immediately play it. When I have to download or install a game to a console, I feel a wee bit cheated. If I'm purchasing a digital copy of a game, it's a digital copy of the game. Different story.

That said, I'm curious. Why do you guys regard this as an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom