• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Doesnt Link Ever Have Parents...?¿

Well this has currently come to my Attention....
Ive played every zelda game made and sold and Link never has Actual Parents.
He only has Grandparents Like his Grandma from WW....
So is this a coincidence or just something never thought about ...Seems a little weird to me.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
There's likely no real story-related reason, it's just that Nintendo doesn't like Zelda to be shackled by characters that would be constantly repeated. If every Zelda game had parents for Link, it would make it rather...

a) Sort of boring and expected, the parents might look similar in every game, causing repeated personalities and themes- "shackling effect".
b) Controversial, the parents could look and act completely different in every Zelda game, causing confusion and over-speculation on this topic.

There wouldn't even have to be parents in every game either, maybe just a few, to cause these outcomes. Also, Link would appear more- well, disciplined. He'd likely have to obey his parents and do as they say, taking away from the idea of free-roaming in the game.

I think Nintendo may view them as more trouble then they're worth, really.

amaterasu

Writer
Well, in oot the Deku Tree said that Link's Mother had taken him to the forest as a safe haven from the war, and with her dying breaths gave the Deku Tree her baby boy; Link. The Great Deku Tree raised Link as a boy, and when "The Time" came, sent Navi to get Link, blah blah blah, you get the point.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I like the fact that Link doesn't have parents in the games. It adds a sense of mystery to who he is and his purpose in Hyrule. :)

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
The reason Link doesn't have parents is that when he was a really young little boy something I forgot what happened but something happened in Hyrule and Link's mother brought him to the forest so he wouldn't die after that his mom died and his father had already died that is why Link doesn't have parents but, he did have some or he would have never been born.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
The fact that Link doesn't have his parents around helps set him apart from the rest of the people around him. It gives him an aura of independence, and adds to his mystery. He's always been an oddball of sorts around his hometown, and I think that not having his parents with him helps him accept setting off on a journey to save the world without brooding over the fact that he won't be able to live a normal life with them or maybe never even see them again.

As far as gameplay, I think that Butterbiscuit covered most of that ;)

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
Well, firstly, Link does have parents. We simply are not shown them due to circumstances within the story (he had to come from somewhere). The technical reason is simply because Nintendo chose to write it that way, but it certainly does have an effect open the psychology of the game itself. Link, as Ghirahim said, is a mysterious character. Giving him an obvious origin would take away from the cloud over Link's past. He also represents childish innocence coming into a much darker world, and giving him to adult role models would take away from the dramatic curve of his growing up. His direct mother or father (though mentioned at times) logically do not appear in Ocarina of Time. Remember that an important aspect of the early story is that Link doesn't have a fairy. We also find that he matures after seven years, which comes as an initial shock to the player, as the Kokiri are not supposed to ever take on adult forms. This is because he is really Hylian, delivered to the Kokiri by his dying mother. If he knew of his parents, then he would also know that he is not Kokiri, thus he would assume himself Hylian and the sense of "the boy who never really fit in" would be entirely lost.
Another possible reason is, quite simply, because he is simply destined to become a great hero. Not only would having a close family interfere with his quest, the concept is tradition. Think of the countless epic tales we hear of, no matter how old. How many of them had constant contact with their parents early in life? There is something to be said for childhood seclusion when it comes to heroes. It creates a much better mood.
Finally, having parents would alter the atmosphere in the game. Imagine how differently you feel when you play, say, Pokemon, and you know you have a parent back in whatever town you depart from ready to aid and support you. It is certainly a different "mentality" then Ocarina of Time, when you feel that (save for a slight amount of support from allies) you are entirely alone. Throughout the course of Wind Waker, we felt slightly more comfortable out at sea knowing that our Grandmother would be waiting to provide us with her soup (not coincidentally the most powerful potion in the game). It all depends upon the mood that the developers desire to provide.
Would I like to see Link's parents appear in the world? I suppose so, though I feel it would take away from the game itself.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
Everything that HappyMaskSlsman said was what I either already said or some stuff I forgot to add same with Lupine he had also said stuff that I forgot to add. Link not having parents because of what happened to them is what hakes him the person he his it makes him take responsibility and also makes it how he doesn't need help to beat a enemy or a boss because he can do it himself.

well that all makes since but...if Skyward Sword is suppose to be a Sequel or Prequel which ever one its suppose to be to the Oot....what link would that because he looks like the Twilight Princess link but came before the Ocarina of time link???...I think i may be wrong but i havent really searched anything about Skyward Sword

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Even though Link is supposed to be a child I think they want to make him more independent looking by letting him be without parents. It gives him a "foundation" of sadness that makes a hero more thrustworthy. I might be wrong and I feel it´s difficult to explain what I really mean. I only hope I make some sense, I pray for it :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom