• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does Link Always Get Pick for the Adventure?

D

dragonmon980

maybe because he does a lots of things that he can do it?

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Link is always the hero for the Legend of Zelda series for one main reason. The spirit/soul of the "great hero" is reincarnated after the previous one dies. The meaning for this cycle is explained at the end of Skyward Sword:

SPOILER

Demise Places a curse on Zelda, Link and himself. Because of this Zelda and Link reincarnated over and over again, with Demise's spirited causing chaos in Zelda and Link's lives for all eternity.

I hope this helped! BTW Welcome to the forums! Read the rules and follow do what the Mods say! Have fun!

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Well, if Link wasn't the main character, there wouldn't be a game would there?

Real life logic aside, It's because Link and all of his descendants have the spirit of the hero, which Demise talks about. Before he dies, he says that this "curse" will be passed on for generations to all who share Link's bloodline and courage. You can also go into that whole thing about destiny, but that's self explanatory.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Well, if Link wasn't the main character, there wouldn't be a game would there?

Real life logic aside, It's because Link and all of his descendants have the spirit of the hero, which Demise talks about. Before he dies, he says that this "curse" will be passed on for generations to all who share Link's bloodline and courage. You can also go into that whole thing about destiny, but that's self explanatory.

This pretty much explains it. But just a little detail on the highlighted part: Zelda is the one whose descendants are supposed to be part of the cycle. From what I've heard, no Link is related to each other. Here's the quote:

Demise said:
Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternallly bound to this curse.

Sorry if I'm being nit-picky here. It's just that the other Links being descendants isn't pretty likely because of this, they probably would've specified that.

Now, to add something of my own: It's worth mentioning that Link's name doesn't necessarily have to be Link. You can name him anything you want, and the similarities between them are merely for familiarity's sake. It's a bit weird saying that he always gets picked when the hero's reincarnation isn't exactly supposed to be related. It's not the same person, just a person with an equally strong spirit. The idea that he's "Link", is most likely a trait that the fanbase and the developers attributes to the character just because of familiarity, I think Link is more like the name we give to the main character, rather than who he actually is. I'm not sure if I'm putting it the right way, but that's the best way I can explain it right now.

Last edited:
C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'm sorry, but this is kind of a stupid question. In nearly all the games Link is an entirely different character, not blood-related to the others or anything. Each Link exists as a more-or-less generic character, whoever ends up filling that role, hence the player's link to him, the point of naming him and him being a silent protagonist so the player can fill in his personality. As far as canon goes, he's really whoever the player wants him to be (within reason). The fact that it's always a boy with a green tunic probably has more to do with the tunic than with who's wearing it.

Given Skyward Sword, however, and I am about to get into spoilers, there is the implication that everyone who is chosen as or ends up filling the role of the hero is a reincarnation of the original hero from Skyward Sword. Demise, upon meeting his demise (no pun intended), declares a curse upon the descendants of the goddess (the Zeldas) and those who carry the spirit of the hero (Link). It's up to speculation whether this literally means Link will be reincarnated again and again for the rest of the timeline or if this merely means those who possess the strength and the character necessary to fill that role.

Agent B

The King of Hyrule
The reason Link gets picked is because he is always the main character. If someone like Mido from Ocarina of Time got picked, then HE would be the main character.

It's the destiny mentioned at the end of SS. That's why Demise comes back as ganondorf so many times. This is the same for Link being the hero :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom