• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does Less Experienced Player = Needs Easy Game?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In the gaming world, people love to reference how inexperienced players need easy things. Why is this? Back in my days as a wee lad, I used to play new games all of the time (mostly because I was 3 yrs old). I even played the likes of Killer Instinct, which was absolutely brutal by the time one got to Combo (the character). I totally recommend giving newer players an easier time for the first few moments of the game, but dedicating an entire mode to just easiness? Nah, no thanks.

So like, what's your opinion. Do you think inexperienced players need easy times all the way through, or do you think that difficulty should ramp up regardless of the player in mind?

It really depends. I don't think every game in existence needs to be brutally difficult by the end of the game. Sometimes I just want to relax and not take a game seriously, and then other times I like having a challenge.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I think games should get harder as you progress; it's hard to build skill otherwise. However, I don't think the difficulty should increase at a rate that makes people think a game is too hard.
It should be hard enough to challenge you, yet easy enough that you don't ragequit because you just get stuck. The goal is for people to enjoy playing the game, not to punish them into oblivion.

If you need an easy/casual mode for more people to enjoy it, then so be it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
They don't need it, but they don't want to be challenged. It bores them.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
In the gaming world, people love to reference how inexperienced players need easy things. Why is this? Back in my days as a wee lad

I'll cut you off right there. Back in your days, Call of Duty wasn't around. THESE days, the average "gamer" just wants to sit around and shoot things. If a game requires more than that, they get bored of it and put it down. Today, "gamers" need their hand held throughout a game. So yeah, they do need easier games. Just look at what happened to Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and even Splinter Cell. Back in the day, these games required skill, patience, and smarts. Let's look at them today...

[video=youtube_share;iR0mZlIHyFA]http://youtu.be/iR0mZlIHyFA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;fGKUmQntzXo]http://youtu.be/fGKUmQntzXo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;fBsRx-RYPTk]http://youtu.be/fBsRx-RYPTk[/video]

Yeah... nothing challenging about any of those. I remember when Resident Evil limited everything from ammunition to saves. I remember when Tomb Raider was about solving puzzles, lots and lots of puzzles. I even remember when Splinter Cell was about stealth. Although I do give props to Ubisoft for bridging the gap between the real gamer who works through the challenges and the average Call of Duty kid with different modes and play-styles in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I'm not saying any of these games are terrible, just pointing out how much the industry has changed to please the average gamer.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Turo pretty much nailed it on the head. Thanks to these no-skill-required franchises like Call of Duty being so successful, most mainstream "AAA" games these days have been severely dumbed down in comparison to what we grew up with. Now, I'm one that generally criticizes NES games for being way too goddamn hard, but I let that slide because of how short they were due to technical limitations. However, I grew up with the SNES and N64 (and PS1), so that's not really my problem, either.

What IS my problem, however, is seeing games going from being challenging but fair, to being overly-simplistic. For example, The Elder Scrolls, what used to be one of the most in-depth and strategic RPG franchises out there, has become a casualized shell of its former self thanks to Oblivion and Skyrim (for their own different reasons). Hell, even Zelda did it for a brief stint with The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Thankfully it started to break that mold with Phantom Hourglass, followed by breaking through completely with Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword.

Anyway, bottom line is it's not that gamers these days NEED easy games -- it's that they WANT them. Or, at least the mainstream ones.

TheBlueReptile said:
Maybe something similar to this
9672830008_c26192de21_b.jpg

HOLY ****, STAR FOX 64!

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
The mentality of the video game industry is basically "if we give inexperienced gamers games that are too hard, it will scare them away from gaming." Which is why we never got The Lost Levels.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Giving an inexperienced player a hard game is like giving you a messed up control that rarely works and have you play with it.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
It's definitely because the gamers of today weren't raised up on the same stuff we were.

I grew up on the SNES and N64, so I was no slouch when it came to challenges. I was aware of cheat codes and stuff, but beyond screwing around with bobbleheads and flying tanks and such I stuck to beating the games the way they were meant to. Sure it was difficult finding all those secrets and new characters all on your own, but it was far more rewarding, AND it developed my skill as a player. It was not a matter of "This kid is inexperienced, let's dumb down the whole game to cater to him" but instead one of "This kid is inexperienced. Let's make it to where he can at the very least get through the main game if he tries hard enough, have some incentives just out of reach, and if he trains enough and becomes good enough to get it on his own, then more power to him, and if not then it's his loss."

That's what we need right there. Actual incentives to make the inexperienced kid want to get better, but avoiding making it balls-crushingly hard to discourage anyone but the dedicated hardcores from playing it.

Unless, of course, you're Dark Souls.

Wow. I really, really like this idea. Good job Reptile!

Garo

Boy Wonder
Gamers today are afflicted with a massive No True Scotsman complex, along with a hefty dose of elitism, it would seem.

The gaming market today has changed a great deal in a very short period of time. No longer is gaming the niche pastime of a select few; it is a widespread, mainstream and easily accessible art form that is enjoyed by many people of all classes all over the world. It's huge. Unfathomably so. While the "gaming community" may be the same size as it always has been, that community is such a small part of the true gaming audience that the interests of the gaming community can hardly be said to represent the whole. There's a wide berth of silent gamers, those who don't follow news blogs or read Game Informer or anything similar.

A lot of this new gaming audience is what the gaming community describes as "casual." It's a perfectly fine word to describe it - people who play games on their smartphones or similar, non-dedicated gaming devices are almost always doing so in a casual fashion out of convenience rather than some sort of particular passion for gaming. But it's been turned into a dirty word by the "gaming community" which seems to abhor "casual games." It may be a resistance to change. It may be a desire to hold on to the small community of dedicated players. It may be a number of things: the point is, the gaming community is not the biggest fan of these casual games and has frequently bashed it on a number of grounds.

But because casual gamers are such a large part of the growing gaming market, developers are wisely tailoring their gameplay experiences to the whims of casual gamers. The AAA industry is hurting and is trying to lure casual gamers into the market, Games become easier and more suited to casual play, for people with not as much time to dedicate to playing longer, more skill intensive games. The premium has become the storytelling and the visuals: the two things that AAA games have over small, casual/social and indie titles.

The myth of the inexperienced gamer is a simple one. We were all inexperienced gamers at one point, and we were all hardened by one game or another in our gaming history. Inexperience will not turn everybody away from games. Most will continue to press on, but it will mean that they buy less games. The AAA industry is hurting, and instead of continuing to push out extensive, daunting, and challenging games, they are creating more crafted storytelling-centered experiences that present less a challenge or a competition and more an experience. But the gaming community has instead labeled this a case of inexperienced gamers being catered to, when in fact it's simply a shift in focus by an industry that is seeing more expensive games fail every year.

It's a deathrattle, not a betrayal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom