• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Why does everyone hate Super Smash Bros Brawl?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I never understood why anyone cared about single player content in a multiplayer focused game...

That said, I never minded the slowness in Brawl. It's a party game, so I don't expect it to be uber competitive. I just don't like anti-competitive nonsense like tripping or time-only online.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I never understood why anyone cared about single player content in a multiplayer focused game...

With me, I get bored of fighting games really fast without extra cool modes to keep me entertained when I’m not playing with others. Smash is pretty much the only fighting game on the market that I can play consistently for two reasons: 1. Items that help keep the battles interesting and unpredictable 2. Alternative modes that offer plenty of dedicated time playing besides just fighting. Smash 4 didn’t have much of the second one at all, but Brawl has Subspace which was awesome and a huge majority of my playtime was spent with it. If fighting games don’t have stuff like that, I usually end up dropping them really quickly.

I didn't know anyone hated Brawl, but I think it's super underrated. The only thing that I disliked was fighting more than a couple players at once, because the camera would zoom out and I had difficulty figuring out wtf I was doing. But the storymode and playing with 1-2 people is very, VERY fun.

Quin

Disaster Master
Not just singleplayer. Multiplayer wise or fanservice wise smash 4 was lacking too. The new characters were very uninteresting and there were only a handful of fun stages, all divided over 2 games.
It also hurts that the only fun new mode was locked on 3ds too.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
My biggest grievance with 4 is how much grinding and RNG was needed for customs.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think that the reason behind the dislike of brawl was mostly technical. there were no DLC or updates to the game. the disc you got was the final product. that meant if something was imbalanced *cough cough meta knight* it would stay that way forever. this, however, was not a problem in smash 4 since the technology allowed for patches and updates to balance the characters. don't get me wrong I love brawl, it was the game that filled my childhood for a good 8 years, but it aged awfully in comparison to the other smash games. also the wii remotes were horrible controls and messed up my smash game for a long time.

another reason why brawl might have been ill received was because of the gameplay feel. Melee had a very fast paced feel and you had to think very quickly while brawl has a very slow feel to it and may have frustrated Melee fans who felt it was clunky and slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom