• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Why does everyone hate Super Smash Bros Brawl?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hey ZD,

Super Smash Bros Brawl is one of my favorite games ever and it is my favorite Smash Bros game. I mean it's got a lot of characters (including characters from 3rd party developers), a lot of content, great multiplayer fun, and a really cool adventure mode with a story told through cut-scenes and with upgrades for fighters.

Sadly, I hear this game get a lot of hate, but for what? I heard that people did not like how the physics are heavier than in Melee, but is that really enough to make the game that much worse? In my opinion, while I have enjoyed playing Melee, I prefer Brawl's physics because though they do feel "heavier," they also feel more fluid. The two Smash Bros games before it had controls that kind of feel rigid to me. So would a real story mode, final smashes, more content, more control options, and more casual-player-friendliness not make up for less wacky physics?

Both games are good, I just want to know why Brawl is so neglected.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't know any people who hate brawl. It has a proper story mode but some disliked the slower gameplay.

Smash 4 on the other hand was an HD/portable (Depending on if you had the Wii Poo or 3DS version) brawl clone without any story mode, basically a glorified port with stuff taken out. It was a pointless entry. People seem to complain about that one the most.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I don't know any people who hate brawl. It has a proper story mode but some disliked the slower gameplay.

Smash 4 on the other hand was an HD/portable (Depending on if you had the Wii Poo or 3DS version) brawl clone without any story mode, basically a glorified port with stuff taken out. It was a pointless entry. People seem to complain about that one the most.
Literally every American minus like 10 hate Brawl.

A few reasons why:

-Tripping

-Wii Remote Play (I know GC play exists)

- "It's not Melee"

-It is kinda stupid broken

I hate it

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I thought Brawl was great. Tripping may have been dumb but it's not that big an issue. I actually played Brawl before Melee and honestly, I think Melee was too fast for my liking. Character balance isn't something I pay attention to. I play these games for fun, so I don't get hung up on the competitive aspect. Not like I'm gonna be playing in tournaments. As for the controller, it worked perfectly fine. I don't get why people find the nunchuk so hard to adapt to.

I didnt like the tripping but I didnt hate the game.

Sub Space had a lot of cool cutscenes but I found myself bored and or frustrated while actually playing it.

Brawl was slower and felt less intense than my personal favourite, Melee.

Though I dont think Brawl was as bad as U/3DS which were essentially a whole lot of nothing.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't hate it, but tripping was stupid, combos were (and still are) too easy, which leads to repetitive gameplay, and far too much time was spent on the pointless SSE mode.

Last edited:
Why does everyone hate Super Smash Bros Brawl?
I don't hate Brawl. It's a good game. Just very different to Melee. I hate the WiiU Smash Bros though.

I don't hate Brawl and I've never came across many Smash fans who outright hated the whole game. Like Deus pointed out, more people hate SSB4.
SMS is correct. SSB WiiU is the most hated Smash Bros game, for good reason too.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I thought Brawl was great. Tripping may have been dumb but it's not that big an issue. I actually played Brawl before Melee and honestly, I think Melee was too fast for my liking. Character balance isn't something I pay attention to. I play these games for fun, so I don't get hung up on the competitive aspect. Not like I'm gonna be playing in tournaments. As for the controller, it worked perfectly fine. I don't get why people find the nunchuk so hard to adapt to.
Because it was jank

I didnt like the tripping but I didnt hate the game.

Sub Space had a lot of cool cutscenes but I found myself bored and or frustrated while actually playing it.

Brawl was slower and felt less intense than my personal favourite, Melee.

Though I dont think Brawl was as bad as U/3DS which were essentially a whole lot of nothing.
Smash 4 was the best one

I don't hate Brawl and I've never came across many Smash fans who outright hated the whole game. Like Deus pointed out, more people hate SSB4.
Not true. In my side of town, everybody hates Brawl and people like Sm4sh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom