• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does Everyone Hate COD

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I truthfully don't understand why everyone hates CoD. I myself love the series, aspiring to get MW3 whenever I get a PS3. Yes, the CoD games have very little variance between them, but the gun design and new modes, examples being Zombies and Survival, make each installment different from the one preceding it. Zelda fans seem especially prone to hating the series, and I know for a fact that 90 percent of Zelda fans have NOT played a CoD game in their lifetime. I love CoD and Zelda, yet I get trolled for loving CoD by Zelda fans, and trolled for loving Zelda by CoD fans. Weird, how it is seemingly IMPOSSIBLE to like two things...

MW7

Something else that I noticed is that ever since CoD was considered to be the best game ever made, people started to hate the FPS genre. This is completely stupid. A lot of these games aren't even bad like Halo, Battlefield, Bioshock and more. People, make sure you play the games first to have an opinion first, same goes with CoD.

I agree with your sentiments about not judging a book by its cover but am also confused. I know that it sells a ton of games but critically it gets very good but definitely not perfect reviews. Also I have never heard anyone ever utter the phrase "CoD is the best game ever made." Maybe I'm just sheltered from that kind of thing but that was my first thought. I totally agree though that people shouldn't be idiots and spend their time badmouthing something they know absolutely nothing about.

Edit: At VanitasXII
That's a sad situation you're in. Fanboys will hate so don't let them get to you. Also I have some anecdotal counterevidence for you. My friend and I are diehard Zelda fans, and we also played a ton of Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. I own 4 different CoD games and 11 Zelda games, but I am moving away from CoD more and more. It's more that I just don't have the time anymore more so than any other reason. I like CoD, but I love Zelda so when time is tight Zelda gets my attention. Interestingly based on stereotypes Zelda would be the kiddie game and CoD would be the mature game and yet I'm kind of growing out of CoD so that's ironic.

Edit 2:
I just read the post on the World of Pokemon subforum that asks why people hate CoD and not Pokemon. It made me realize that most games in any series could be criticized for not being different enough. Look at Twilight Princess, it was a really good game but the biggest complaint most people had was that it was too familiar.
People either like a genre/series or they don't. If you like the series, you will justify to yourself why you like it. If you don't like a series you will justify why you don't like it. It's psychology and human nature. Most criticisms for CoD work for Zelda anyway. Going back to what Starbound said, isn't it interesting that some people think its cool to criticize Ocarina of Time just because it's "the greatest game ever."

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiments about not judging a book by its cover but am also confused. I know that it sells a ton of games but critically it gets very good but definitely not perfect reviews. Also I have never heard anyone ever utter the phrase "CoD is the best game ever made." Maybe I'm just sheltered from that kind of thing but that was my first thought. I totally agree though that people shouldn't be idiots and spend their time badmouthing something they know absolutely nothing about.

I was being sarcastic about CoD being the best game ever made. A lot of people in my school think its a perfect game. A perfect game doesn't exist and the best game of all time doesn't exist because everyone has their own opinions. I don't make fun of anyone and you should play games that you enjoy. You shouldn't force people to like one thing. What's annoying is that every time you go to a YouTube video that has something to do with old school games, ect, there's usually some guy saying" CoD Sucks." Some people might hate me for saying this but shooters are like the Justin Bieber of video games. People like to talk trash while they should just enjoy the games they like and stop talking about the games they don't like unless they have a good reason to. I don't like CoD but I know what I'm talking about because I have played a majority of the CoD games and I'm not one of those people who will like a game because it is popular without trying it out first. I'm just saying. I don't hate CoD, I just don't care about it anymore. What we should be hating on is High School. Well let me put it this way. It is okay to hate on a game, but if you troll on the fan than that's just wrong.

Last edited:

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
I think that this is mostly Activision's fault. They are forceing IW to produce a new game each year, giving less time to add new features to the games. On top of that they fired West and Zampella, the creators of CoD.

IW doesn't make every CoD game.

I dont know,but around me its the contrary,everybody LOVES COD,I couldn't name you 5 persons who hate COD and I'm not kidding, but I hate that serie because they are boring to me,they look all the same and I hate FPS.(To me this game is really overrated)

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
So who is this "everyone" that hates call of duty? First of all, i think the word "hate" is a little harsh.

Its more like other gamers don't like the CoD players in general, because most of these FPS consumers label this as hardcore gaming and rate everything else medicore.

So the other gamers label this as overrated and you get a yes and no discussion out of fanboyism.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I'm not personally a fan of COD, it just doesn't interest me gameplay or visual-wise.

My problem isn't with the game though, if it's selling then obviously someone happens to like what it offers in a game, my problem is more about the fans. I cannot name you one person that i'm acquainted with that wouldn't take it as a personal insult if I stated that I couldn't see what all the fuss was about with COD. I'm sure there are some good fans of the series but i've had the unfortunate luck of knowing the type of people who try to impose their opinion of the game as a fact.

Sometimes hating the players causes a side-effect, you hate the fan-base to the point where you simply dislike the game for bringing out such a bad side of people you know.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
It's not the game itself that I don't like, it's its rather obnoxious fans.

Believe me, at my school, all the boys except me play these games, and they are extremely obnoxious. I'm friends with them, yes, but, the constant talk of CoD gets annoying.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
It's not the game itself that I don't like, it's its rather obnoxious fans.

Believe me, at my school, all the boys except me play these games, and they are extremely obnoxious. I'm friends with them, yes, but, the constant talk of CoD gets annoying.
Tell me about it:dry:. Everybody in my school plays CoD and they literally let it control their lives. It's come to the point where your skill in CoD affects your social status and everything.

I don't have an opinion on COD itself. I agree that it seems overrated, but on the other hand the same could be said about several games that have large fandoms. Seriously, every single huge fandom has its share of loud and obnoxious fans. And I don't think that COD fans are the worst of them all. I would like to try and play one, if I ever have enough money to buy one. But before I form a solid opinion on COD I'm just going to side eye fandom wars.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
^

The reactions after my first post exactly proves my point. =)

So who is this "everyone" that hates call of duty? First of all, i think the word "hate" is a little harsh.

Its more like other gamers don't like the CoD players in general, because most of these FPS consumers label this as hardcore gaming and rate everything else medicore.

So the other gamers label this as overrated and you get a yes and no discussion out of fanboyism.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Me, I hate Call of Duty. And no, not because I just want to hate but because I've played enough of those games to know why others get irritated by it. Each game since Modern Warfare has been the same thing with very minor improvements. What bugs me the most are the people who have the audacity to say it's a great series or that it's the best game ever. Something that I've notice is that mainly casual gamers play Call of Duty. I can understand why, it's easy to play. But people take it too damn far. All they do is play that same game a year straight until the next one comes out. They don't even bother playing the campaign which should be the most important part of the game, they just sit on their a** get a kill or two and call it day after being easily amused. If you ask the majority of those cheap gamers why they like Call of Duty, they can't even give you a real response. They just talk about online and how it's "realistic". I've encountered so many idiots in my time who can never back up why they like it, you know why? Because they're not real gamers. They don't pay attention to detail, it's just stupid fun.

Then comes the other people who dislike the series as well but end up judging other FPS games without having the proper knowledge. It's like they think they're gaining extra points by hating FPS games or something. Call of Duty is making people ignorant and blind and that's what pisses me off. I don't care if you enjoy the game but don't go lying and saying that the campaign is amazing and that the physics are awesome because I know it's all crap. The characters feel weightless, the knife animations still don't look authentic, each game is a copy and paste job with an improved online multiplayer, new guns, new maps, and another poor campaign. I use to have some respect for Activision but they just really suck. Just to get sales they get another developer to develop another Call of Duty within a year and copy everything and manage to make it worse than the previous title. It's like Infinity Ward takes the series forward (but even then, they could still do better) and Treyarch copies. The same goes with the Spidey games. Who cares if it sucks? It's gonna sell so just keep recycling from the past and make it different somehow. FU Activision.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Love it, Actually pre-ordered Modern Warfare 3 and am playing it every day, And who is this everyone?
I can understand fans joking around with that their series is the best one, Or just not being that fond of other game series.
But are we that childish that we have to be picky among games?

I can enjoy multiple series, Not just one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom