• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does Everyone Hate COD

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
I have played Call of Duty since Modern Warfare has come out. I have played every installment of the series since, and I have thoroughly enjoyed myself in each and every one of the games. Now, I understand that some people do not like games such as Call of Duty. But why does everyone seem to HATE Call of Duty? Some people say that all of the games are the same, you could say that if you only watch the trailers.
If you actually play the games, you would realize that these games actually do difer from each other in many ways. If you want an example, I will use Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. Black Ops was released almost exactly a year after the release of Modern Warfare 2, the games easily had many differences. For one, the games were in different time periods and each game was suited to a particular game type; MW2 was good for campers, while Black Ops was not considering all of the changes they made to prevent that.
Another thing, those 2 games were in different time periods, one was about 5 years in our future while another was set in the Cold War era. Black Ops multiplayer was very different from MW2 multiplayer, bringing in cod points that totally changed the interface and purpose of the game. Black Ops also brought back the dolphin dive, a useful dive that thrust you headfirst whilst running.
This was just a brief rundown, I would like to see the responses to this thread.

I don't hate it, I just think it is incredibly overrated.

They're solid 8-8.5 type games, but the amount of praise they get isn't deserved. Also, the fanbase is INCREDIBLY obnoxious. Call of Duty is the sole reason why I can't discuss video games with anyone outside of message boards. It dominates every discussion and the moment I mention a game like Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, or Mario, I'm immediately bashed for playing such "childish" nonsense.

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
I agree, there are some people out there who hate games like pokemon and zelda for no reason other than they are "Nintendo" or "childish." And yes, it is overrated (especially if it gets a score like a 9.5 or 10.0.) But also, there are people who hate Call of Duty just because it is "Call of Duty" or "Activision is just milking off a series." Which I do not consider true. If the only reason most people hate it, is because of its fanbase. Then I am incredible surprised, when i was more active i brought up call of duty once. I got immediatly bashed because I said that Nintendo should not release Zelda around the same time as MW3, which is actually good logic because people like myself do buy the game on its release date.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
While I'm not a CoD hater, I do think each new CoD game that comes out is actually the same game with a new coat of paint. I actually did play some CoD (I wasn't very good at it, though) and enjoyed it, at least until the awful fanbase turned me off the series. I swear that for half the online matches I participated in, I found someone obnoxious, arrogant, or both.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
Actually, my hate more comes from the fact that I hate FPS then everything else.

though they are practically the same games. My friend, who is a huge CoD fan, actually admitted that the new one was basically the same as the last with better graphics.

To actually say something nice, I'll note that "Call of Duty" is an awesome title.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I honestly don't know much about Call of Duty... so I can't judge it too much.

However, one of the reasons I've always had a bit of contempt toward it is as stated above: It really doesn't seem worth all this attention. I'm actually surprised you think a lot of people hate Call of Duty, since it's the other way around in my experience. At least where I live, Nintendo isn't seen in a very positive light while Call of Duty is the constant topic and source of entertainment.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I've tried playing Call of Duty on two seperate occasions; once for about 20 minutes on the xbox 360 version of MW1 and then again recently on black ops on the ps3 for about an hour and a half, both times I just felt kind of...meh, it wasn't a bad game, I had some fun with it (granted I was singing 'singin' in the rain' down the headset) and I can appreciate why people enjoy it, but at the end of the day, it's just not my cup of tea.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, or that I even dislike it. I've heard how the fanbase allegedly has a brick wall-esque personality when it comes to convincing them about other games but I haven't found that to be the case in my fair school, people are more open-minded.

They are much too similar. I've played ever CoD exept for 3 and MW3, and things started going downhill after WaW. WaW was almost exactly like MW, but in WW2 and with some new perks. MW2 brought alot of new things to the table, some good, but a good number made it unbalanced. BO just felt way to much like MW2, it had only a couple new features. I have not played MW3, but from what I've seen, It really does look like MW2.5. What have they really added that would make me want to pay $60? Nothing really.

I think that this is mostly Activision's fault. They are forceing IW to produce a new game each year, giving less time to add new features to the games. On top of that they fired West and Zampella, the creators of CoD.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
I believe it's a bit overrated in the general gaming community and horribly underrated in the Zelda community. I believe that it's true that nothing exceptionally new has come to the series after a while, but at the same time, it's not just "mindless shooting" that Zelda fans make it out to be. Although I don't play it anymore (Battlefield 3 for me, now), I still think they're good games, despite that they're getting a little to much in terms of rating and that it's constantly bashed by Zelda fans.
Actually, my hate more comes from the fact that I hate FPS then everything else.
May I ask, why do you hate all FPSs?

MW7

I've become frustrated with the whole FPS genre over the last few years, and COD is just the easiest to criticize because it has released a new title every year since 2006. I grew up playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and my complaint is that FPS's don't need to be released every year. Yes the game is slightly improved every time, but you pretty much have to be playing the game nonstop to get your money's worth nowadays because the sequel will be released 12 months later. People jump from the previous game to the next and so the online play of the prior game eventually dies out (you can still play at least but it's a lot harder to find people to play).

Activision, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch aren't to blame at all either; they are just making the most money they can. The problem is with the people that buy these games with every new release. Most buy the games to play online multiplayer, and so really downloadable content (map packs) is much more sensible than tweaking the gameplay, creating a new single player campaign, and changing all the multiplayer maps for a new release every year. So why is this the players' fault? Stop buying the games and this unnecessary cycle will stop. People today just don't have attention spans at all; 12 months is not nearly long enough to fully appreciate a single COD game. Stop wasting money people! The average N64 era gamer never got tired of Goldeneye throughout the N64's life cycle, and clearly the scope of a modern game like COD is much more than a game released 14 years ago.

Sorry if I offended anyone but that's how I feel. If gamers stop buying COD every year, they will stop releasing it every year. Then every release of COD would be warranted and the overall quality of the series would skyrocket.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I don't hate CoD itsself so much as I hate its fanbase. They're extremely obsessive, to the point where CoD basically dominates their lives, think CoD is the only good game series, and take CoD way too seriously.
Also, like a lot of people are saying, every CoD game is basically the same but with some minor changes. Overall it's not a bad series, but it's overrated as all hell and has a terrible fanbase.

Lets start with CoD 4. CoD 4 is an amazing game. This was the first CoD game that people cared for and its for a good reason. The guns are pretty balanced except for the M16, a lot of the maps were well designed, there were perks that were fun to use but were pretty cheap to die from, and the game requires more skill. Though the game is completely random, the reason why it involves more skill is because there aren't any overpowered killstreaks. The game only had UAV, Airstrike and Helicopter. The game does have a lot of flaws. For one the spawning system is horrible and the game is random so you might get killed from behind, ect. The game's biggest flaw is that it will get boring because there really isn't anything else to do. CoD WAW was a crappy version of CoD 4. The SMG were the most powerful guns in the game so the game was not balanced. The spawning system was even worse and I don't even know how that's even possible. Bottom line is that WAW wasn't as good as CoD 4 and I don't consider it to be a very good successor, but its not that bad. MW2, where should I begin. MW2 is an extremely flawed game. The maps were just bad in my opinion. The maps encouraged more camping than ever before which is bad. The killstreaks were extremely over powered and they basically played the game for you. The weapon balance is even worse in this game. The rifles are easy to use and are easily the best type of guns in the game. MW2 was more random and the spawning system still sucks. I haven't played a lot of Black Ops so I don't have an opinion on it. From what I've seen it is better than WAW and MW2. However I do know that I'm going to get bored with it like I did with CoD 4. I actually have MW3 in my house right now. I didn't buy but a kid that I know owns it and I've been playing it since Thursday. My opinion on MW3 is negative. It is exactly like MW2 though not as bad. However even when I played I didn't have fun and I'm already bored of it. In my opinion, CoD is the new Guitar Hero(both from Activision). The games might be fun at first, but the games will get boring because of little differences. Also Infinity Ward and Treyarch don't care about making games hack free. Right now there are so many hackers on CoD 4 and WAW. MW2 has been hacked since Day 1 and Black Ops, MW2.5, Black Ops 2, MW"4" and Call of Duty 9001 are next.

I don't hate COD, but it does become slightly tedious and a bit annoying when multiple revisions are released. Most of them are essentially the same game with minor additions.

On the other hand, I have practically become addicted to CO[noparse]D:[/noparse] MW3. :yes:

Something else that I noticed is that ever since CoD was considered to be the best game ever made, people started to hate the FPS genre. This is completely stupid. People, make sure you play the games first to have an opinion first, same goes with CoD.

Last edited:

MightyGhirahim

WORSHIP ME!!!
Something else that I noticed is that ever since CoD was considered to be the best game ever made, people started to hate the FPS genre. This is completely stupid. A lot of these games aren't even bad like Halo, Battlefield, Bioshock and more. People, make sure you play the games first to have an opinion first, same goes with CoD.
That is EXACTLY my point :) play the games, and don't hate for no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom