• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do You Love Video Games?

Why do you love video games? My personal reason and I'm sure many will agree,is that video games are an escape from reality. If I have a bad day I can turn on a video game (typically zelda or pokemon) and instantly feel better!

Sheik

:the:
Same reason I like books or shows or movies. They can be escapism, they can create fond memories, they can bring communities together, and they are plain fun to indulge in. By playing videogames, I gain new experiences. These and many more are reasons I love videogames.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Unlike reading most books or watching a movie/TV, I can control what my character, and sometimes other characters, do. Even in linear games, I can mess around breaking people's pots for money if I choose to.

Unlike reading most books or watching a movie/TV, I can control what my character, and sometimes other characters, do. Even in linear games, I can mess around breaking people's pots for money if I choose to.

XD so true! That and make chickens mad!!

I find it interesting why people game!

Last edited:

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
because it gives me a freedom of choice Movies and books don't give me. Also it gets me into a different world than this one, and ever since I was 7, 8, escaping the world was absolutely necessary for my sanity. Video Games were a GREAT part of it, along with books and comics and the like. Video Games are the only "escape" that remain of use for me today as I've become more integrated with real stuff and became lazy to read books. I still spend time playing video games but not the insane amount I spent when I was a child.

Dan

Because I like to hear the cries of little 12 year olds. >) (call of duty)

Well, aside from the now-proverbial "It's an escape from reality" excuse, I play video games because they're not only fun and engaging but they're also interactive. Thanks to the controller, videogames are the closest and most effective I'll ever get to physically immersing myself into a fictional world with amazing settings, characters, and stories. This also tends to make for the fondest of memories, as opposed to reality, which tends to yield crappy memories for me (lol). There are some videogame plots and characters that have literally changed my life. Above all else, though, it all boils down to "they're fun," and if my real life were more interesting, I'd probably still play videogames...just A LOT less. ;J

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I feel like they're more engaging than any other entertainment medium, and on a variety of levels. The emotional levels a good game can produce from you is quite astounding; titles like The Walking Dead and Crisis Core. And many games, really, I loved the characters! I feel the same with movies, but they don't last as long. After 20 hours of being with a certain character, I definitely get attached and genuinely care a lot more than I have a book or movie. And then of course, the interactivity I adore! I've said it before that the thing I love most in games is choices and organic gameplay. Do what I want and make decisions that impact the game and characters significantly. It's why I love titles like Mass Effect, Witcher, and The Walking Dead cos I really felt like they were my stories. And, going back to my first point, the fact that my decisions make things happen for a character I like just makes them that bit more emotionally engaging to me.

Also, I love how fast gaming is progressing. Loads of creative, unique, innovative ideas constantly coming at us, I feel like there's a new must-have game almost everyday. My future log of games I want is absolutely huge because of it, and they're full of big, expensive triple-A titles as much as they are small, cute, quirky Indie games. Which adds another point that I like, which is the community. I really feel a connection between myself and the Industry; companies like Valve and CDP, pretty much every Indie studio. To the point when I can tweet at an Indie studio and get a reply! Makes me smile. I tweeted Tripwire a long time ago and they sent me a thank you back, which is really cool of them. :) Also got to talk briefly with a guy from Valve while playing TF2. I only got 1 reply cos he was getting absolutely swamped but I got a "Our games are good because we want to make them." Wise words.

So, yeah. I love gaming. I'm training to be a developer, is how much I do love them, and I work with them too. :P Tis a passion.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
For me it's a mixture of things, it's mostly for entertainment, but also the sense of challenge/achievement when I move through a game, whether it's solving a puzzle, beating a boss, unlocking new things, and for some games it's also to lose myself in the story and escaping reality for a little while :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom